Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Final Season

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    It's turned into days of our lives medieval edition. It just keeps getting worse.
    *scoffs*

It's been that way since episode one, season one.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Look, I was never a huge fan of the show. I watched it at first, lost interest, half heartedly kept up with the plot... I agree that, as with most things, enthusiasm was overblown.

However, the writing was of a dramatically different quality in the earlier seasons. There's really no comparison.

What's slightly disappointing is that, when they ran out of good story, instead of hiring someone to generate more quality content, it seems like they just half-assed it themselves. I mean, all's fair in money-making television. I don't blame them for not giving a shit, but it was a missed opportunity.

Again, it's not a big deal, but for accuracy's sake... The writing wasn't what I'd call mind-blowing, but it was, overall, very good in the early seasons. Now it is very, very bad.

It's a big difference.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yeah, i mean they're really walking it in this last season plot wise. Its like they didn't even bother hiring writers. I'm mature enough to say it for what it is: i'll watch the last 2 episodes because its a relatively low investment to see out the end. Earlier seasons are incomparable to this last one.

Type
    INTP
    Game of Thrones isn't a Lord of the Rings knockoff. GRRM was heavily inspired by the apparent death of Gandalf, but that's just the reason he cites as why he kills off major characters--but that's not specific to the Song of Ice and Fire series. It's one of his writing habits because he likes the tension it creates to know that being a major character doesn't mean they won't get whacked.

To help understand the difference, David Edding's career is primarily Lord of the Ring's knockoff trilogies. Tad Williams relies on that well too. And of course, Terry Brooks has been mining the bones of Tolkein to the point he doesn't even write trilogies, he just jams the whole plot structure into each Shannara book.

If you were to actually compare GoT to LotR, the lack of similarities starts to pile up immediately: no Gandalf, no Companions, no overarching journey for a magical MacGuffin.

The Harry Potter books tick more boxes on the LotR knockoff checklist than GoT.

The only way GoT is a bad LotR knockoff, is if GRRM said, "I'm writing a LotR knockoff", at which point it is a terrible knockoff because it barely has anything in common.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    I don't care anymore.
    Cersei for all I care, then have The iron isles guy strangle her with the umbilical cord while drunkenly raping her. That'll subvert my expectations.
    It's turned into days of our lives medieval edition. It just keeps getting worse. None of the characters are recognisable anymore. It's like the women on the view started writing the screenplay, or maybe social media feedback has been writing it.
    It's been great proof that they should work from a completed set and not just switch everything to screenplay writers.
    *yawns*

I wouldn’t take it as just a bruised male ego if you’ve made a more coherent case than a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    It's not the writers, it's the marketing people. It's the soulless nothing-monster of consumer media engineering. You can't spend billions of dollars on a fictional story and not churn it into dogshit.
    Hey! Don’t blame the marketing people, we’re just doing our job! :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    *scoffs*

It's been that way since episode one, season one.
    It’s okay we get it. You don’t like it. Now, move along.

Type
    INXj
    Re complains about writing/writers.

That’s what happens when you’re cut from the source of your content, you bleed and then you die.

GRRM owns that universe. Only he can tell the story best.

On a side note, Cersei deserved a more horrifying death. Qyburn’s was anticlimactic. Boo.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    *yawns*

I wouldn’t take it as just a bruised male ego if you’ve made a more coherent case than a rant.

You can take it any way you like. The consensus is that it has turned to garbage. Just about every character has been shallowed to its lowest denominator or caricature of itself.

Type
    INTP
    Bout time the dragon brat became a full-blown villain, she's been busting my ovaries since forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    This last season does suck...but really, how else is it going to wrap up? It's too late to surprise us with a twist that makes us wish the narrative had followed some other minor characters. I guess the character moments could have a bit more substance than they do...not just scenes to carry us closer to the inevitable conclusion...but we have to expect some obviousness...incest got this all started...now Dany/Jon incest is an issue. Mad Targaryan King killed by a Lannister(Jamie); Mad Targaryan kills Lannister Queen(Cersei). Lots of other obvious symmetry creates a circumstance where characters like Tyrion are going to seem less witty, because they can't really steer the ship against the odds any longer.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in peopleís belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    On a side note, Cersei deserved a more horrifying death. Qyburn’s was anticlimactic. Boo.
    And that's exactly the kind of attitude that has made the show suck. We don't need another story where obvious villains get what they deserve. That story has been done to death. You can throw all the amazing CGI you want in there and it will be nice and forgettable. But that's what sells, I won't harp on it.

There is a secondary issue here, which is that the general acting level keeps getting worse. The main characters they chose to focus on are pretty and bad at acting. The good actors have pretty much all been killed off. And the kids who've grown up are mostly terrible. Whoever is playing Bran just looks like he is sick of this shit and wants it be over. Sorry man, this is your life now.