Thread: questioning your competency

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx

questioning your competency

Throughout my life, I've endeavored to challenge myself and never stay too long in a place once I've gotten comfortable or mastered a skill set / role. So I'll excitedly reach way beyond what I think is possible just for the hell of it - but then when an opportunity is offered (or rapidly developing), I get terrified that I'm not going to be able to meet expectations or produce desired results. I'm mostly talking about my career, but I guess it's happened in personal matters as well.

Thing is, this has never actually occured. When I've seized these opportunities, I'm always able to handle it and exceed expectations, even if the first steps are shaky. Yet, I always go through this process and I find it annoying; the constant questioning of my competency and self-doubt. "Oh shit, what have I done...?" ..."Am I going to be able to do this?"..."Is this going to be the time when I fuck everything up and get laughed out of town ?"..."Am I smart/talented enough?"

Looking back, I can see these fears were unfounded. And I'm sure my current fears are the same way. But I still feel them and I wish I didn't.

If you go through this, how do you deal with it? And can I expect to be going through this cycle for the rest of my life?
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    xNxx
    Technically, I'll just dive into things and try my best. I'm pretty easy going: I'll tell you what I do know, what I don't know and am willing to try, when I make a mistake, and when I think you're wrong, if it's appropriate. I want to make people happy, so my ambition eases up when confronted with an actual person. It took me a couple years of working in various settings to get there.

It got easier for me as I got more experienced.

Personally is still challenging. Sometimes people are insecure or grumpy or whatever, and dealing with them takes a lot of patience and forbearance, especially in a creative field where everyone has to be really open all the time, and you're trying to build something new. Teams take some effort to gel, so I usually try to outlast and pick my shots. Lot of compliments.

It's gotten better than it was before.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic_000 View Post
    If you go through this, how do you deal with it? And can I expect to be going through this cycle for the rest of my life?
    While on my way to work today
    I stopped, if truth be told -
    And saw her there with auburn hair
    And eyes of green and gold.

If 'proper' girls are coats and curls
    And blossoms from a tree,
    Then she was spice and fire and ice
    And roses, wild and free.
    Awash with doubt, I asked her out -
    Her sigh was sad and slow.
    'I can't,' she said, and shook her head...
    'The president says no.'

THANKS, OBAMA.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.