Thread: I got my ticket for Avengers: End Game (Non-spoiler, Summer Movies 2019)

Type
    INTP

I got my ticket for Avengers: End Game (Non-spoiler, Summer Movies 2019)

Honestly, I'm not that excited. I'm going Friday after work. I'm seeing it in 3D. I signed up for AMC's A-List earlier this year, which allows you to see a film at any AMC on any format. I don't know if I need to see it 3D. They have IMAX 3D showings but really not that many. The theater I'm going to is decent but I'm sure there are bigger screens. This one just happens to be 5 mins from my office. Oh, and free parking. The AMC LieMax I usually go to has 3 hrs free parking. I'd get pissed at these 2 1/2 hour movies with 20 mins of previews to wind up paying for parking just to be advertised to. Endgame is 3 hrs+ on its own.

This would normally be one I'd want to see with a friend or two but I'm not sure who's going to be available to make it at that time. I'm mainly going at that time for convenience and to dodge the spoilers as best as possible.

Any films you're looking forward to this summer? I have to say I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by the prospects. Don't care about Lion King or Aladdin. I really enjoyed Spiderman: Homecoming but meh on this one. I thought J-Law was great in X-Men: First Class but has gotten steadily more drab in each of them. Is she really going to take the lead on this next one??

Toy Story 4, so not necessary, reeks of a money grab. Which, duh, but this seems more like a D-t-V release that Disney would normally use to cash in on the name or character within, not a summer wide release. I'm hoping to be excited for Top Gun when it rolls out. I was hearing about various production aspects of it late last year but since that has trailed off, so has my interest. Man, have I gotten old & jaded or what?!

I'm pretty much take it or leave it with Tarantino but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood I am intrigued by. I'm sure I'll see Booksmart but the release of a red band trailer tells me they're trying too hard to give it a hip, indie, "Woo, we premiered at South by" we're really hot shyte but really, it's got Rebel Wilson/Judd Apatow knockoff written all over it.

But don't let me be a downer! Whatcha got??

Type
    INTP
    I am going on Friday evening. I couldn't care less about any comic book movies, especially Marvel, but my friends are into it so whatever. I often find that about halfway through the movie I realize I hate the good guys and want them to lose. This was certainly the case in Infinity War. I really hope half of the main characters are just dead and that's it, but we all know there's no way even a single one of them will die.

Type
    INXj
    Going to watch it with coworkers on Thursday. Company-sponsored tickets, how can you say no? The whole franchise is getting tedious and Banner’s quips aren’t that funny anymore. I think I’m a bit hutthurt that they’ve decimated Dr Strange and Loki. They’ve taken my eye candies away! Boo.

Tolkien’s out soon. I’m not really into biopics they’re a bit creepy but maybe I’ll check this one out. I’m looking forward to take the kids to see The Lion King. Perhaps I’m hoping I’d relive the joy of watching the animation back in the days, ha.

Type
    INTP
    I don't "look forward" to films anymore, haven't for a long time. There is no relation between the quality of the trailers and the film. When an IP gets an installment with lots of hype, all that tells you is that previous installments in that IP were financially successful (which has little to do with being good or popular in the first place).

If I want to see the current state of the art in which computer animators are depicting action figures being smashed against each other, I'll watch the latest billion-dollar-budget comic book movie. I'm not gonna pay to see it in theaters though, and it's silly to care about spoilers in a "cinematic universe" where characters succeed or die based on real-world business dealings.

Type
    INTP
    I haven't been excited for a summer movie in years.

Maybe when my kid gets older it will be fun to go to the drive in.

Type
    INTP
    I saw it.

Spoiler: Was alright
    I hate time travel as a plot device. It's tired and boring, and a cop out. Nevertheless, Endgame is fun and played out much the way you'd expect. Wise cracks. A giant battle. A couple of characters die off. I sure can't judge it harshly seeing as the running time is 3 hours but my ass didn't get sore. It's formulaic but damn is it entertaining (in the capacity of superhero movies).

No point in making recs here since if you've seen and enjoyed the first Avengers, you've already got your tickets. And if you hated it, you'll know to avoid it.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Johnson's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj
    Time travels lame. I found it to be satisfactory otherwise. Aladdin looks awesome.
    Memelogical qoutient

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I'm a fan of time travel movies - I like how they mentioned one I like quite a lot - hot tub time machine. I like time loop movies even more.
    Last edited by JohnClay; 05-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Type
    INXj
    Okay so we watched it this evening instead. And I’ve gotta say it’s the most entertaining albeit tear-jerky Avengers movie ever (yes, seen them all except Ant and Wasp). I walked out of the theater feeling satisfied. Endgame indeed.