Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: novelty, age and mastery

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Not sure I understand your distinction.

There's the objective level of changes out there, and then there's novelty which practically speaking is just a way we experience something.
    There's a lack of novelty from being jaded by experience, and then there's novelty you can't experience because of various sorts of limitations. As we age, those limitations accrue.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    There's a lack of novelty from being jaded by experience, and then there's novelty you can't experience because of various sorts of limitations. As we age, those limitations accrue.
    Yes, though not in a perfect slope. I'm currently in a DINK situation, leaps ahead limitation-wise of "poor student" some time ago. Being in a relationship of course brings its own restraints. Kids and dwindling energy levels and health of course will knock me down a peg.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Entirely aside, do you think streaming is an ideal distribution model, or if you could have a perfect world for music distribution, what would it be?
    It'd be one with a lot of overlaid curation methods- I'd want the algorithmic ones, one by genre, by geography, by time period, by musician/producer/engineer, by feel, and also the lists of critics, and the lists of music historians. All that stuff becomes a meaningless mush as you approach the present, so we'd probably have to have some machine learning ones too which would just spit out absolute baffling garbage 95% of the time.