Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does yogurt make you happier?

Type
    INTP
    Eating healthier and exercising makes you feel better and yogurt may be a small part of that. Is it going to cure your depression? Probably not.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    Whatever the specific process is the gut microbiome is still communicating with the brain.
    Maybe. Or it might be something more along the lines of a drought--or shortage of skilled workers. This is to say, microbes can have an effect on our mood and thinking without it being communication. An easy example is illness. Illness from a bacterial or viral infestation can affect your mood, but it isn't because the invader is sending nastygrams. It's because making the body inhospitable for them makes the body less hospitable to us/itself.

I find it easier to believe that we react to missing the output of beneficial bacteria, as we do to the harmful output of more malignant bacteria, than that the bacteria is communicating with us in the same way I don't think the fridge is telling me I need to buy eggs because I see I'm running low.

But it is interesting to entertain the thought that our renters are complaining to the super about their accommodations.

There was this study where they found that certain strains were missing in people with depression. It just seems like a pretty large portion of data is probably coming from the gut so that has to affect something especially if data is off.
    Neat! There's also a bacteria that has been identified as having a negative correlation with obesity. Allegedly there is work being done to find a way to bring it market in the same way we do the cultures found in dairy. Hopefully similar work will be done with those negatively correlated with depression--because that sounds much better than a fecal transplant.

For some reason I'm more attracted to the idea of treating depression with bacterial adjustment than anti-depressants.

Yeah, there are other sources of information that also contribute to mood. I still think the gut contributes to mood though. I'm not sure if vision has more influence. I have days where if my mood is low enough nothing I see is going to change that, no matter how beautiful it is. Vision might have a more instant effect on mood though. If stuff is off in the gut I'm not sure that probiotics have an instant effect. It may take awhile to restore the balance.
    I'm confident our enteric nervous system influences our mood. Comfort food is a real thing. The interplay between mood and gut behavior is clearly bidirectional. I was just questioning the reasoning you'd presented for it.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    I've loved yogurt my whole life. I especially like the thick greek style ones and of course I prefer something that's live culture over just corn syrup, fruit flavoring and dye.

My most favorite yogurts are publix select store brand, but I'm making do with a Scottish brand called Rowan Glen rich and creamy.

There could be something to it. I'm not all that well in tune with my biorhythm (assuming there even is a rhythm)

I just checked the ingredients as I just bought one and it contains "black carrot juice concentrate". Blessed are the black carrot juicers.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    There was this study where they found that certain strains were missing in people with depression.
    I had my microbiome tested back before this thread existed, but I recently got the results. I'm not missing the strains associated with depression, but the test did indicate that there may be something off with my neurotransmitter production. The results also told me that dairy is bad for me, so I guess that's further confirmation beyond just not liking it that yogurt isn't going to make me happier.

Type
    ISTP
    just as arbitrary as sour cream really

don't get the obsession
    Last edited by interprétation ironique; 05-30-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Type
    INTJ
    Depends on whether you have thrush and daub it onto your whispering eye/axe wound.

Type
    INTP
    When it comes to dairy products, I think source is a big deal. Are we talking hormone laden cows in the USA? grain fed or grass fed? If grass fed, are the grasses perennial? or mono-cropped, and pesticide/herbicide laden? are the cows pumped full of antibiotics for the heck of it, or only when the cow is actually sick? maybe we're talking about yogurt made from goat's milk? pasteurized milk? unpasteurized?
    ...and as for the probiotics...are we talking natural probiotics that cause and/or result from fermentation? or are we talking about the added ones?

There are so many factors that go into a finished yogurt product that it seems silly to even think that a study on yogurt is even worthwhile...too many other factors to control for.

That said, I like a high fat organic yogurt, drizzled with a bit of fireweed honey, sprinkled with a bit of granola, slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, some fresh berries (huckleberries and/or currants ftw due to tartness, but any fresh berry will do), hemp seeds, and maybe even some chia if I'm in the mood.

...but I go through phases. Haven't actually had yogurt for several months.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung