Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How often do you go outside and play?

Type
    INTP
    I go for walks outside before and after work as long as it's not raining. On weekends I go hiking. The hiking is nicer because it's in the woods and that makes me feel better. The weekday walks around the neighborhood are better than nothing. It's at least nice to be outside, but the connection to nature is lacking. If it's too hot or too cold I don't always want to go outside and walk, but I usually make myself go anyway. I'm more likely to skip a walk if it's too hot than too cold. Walks during winter weekdays don't do much for me emotionally, probably because it's usually dark out.

Deterioration which may or may not be age related actually made me more active. I guess I was more active as a young child, but I'm more active now than I have been in my adult or teenage life. I had trouble getting into any sort of exercise routine when I was younger. I was very sporadic with it. Now my back tends to hurt if I don't walk. I guess that gave me the motivation I needed to do it everyday. I think I would continue to do it everyday now whether my back hurt or not.

Type
    intp
    My wife and I typically do a 3 - 4 mile walk with the dog every evening. I listen, she talks. We do a ton of hiking and exploring on weekends, and if the dog is off leash I'll do quite a bit of running as fast as I can for little spirts to get the dog riled up and excited. I do that in my backyard several times a week as well. Zoomies are contagious! I miss the desert southwest though. When I lived there one of my favorite things to do was to chase jack rabbits on foot, dodging thorns and cactus. Every now and again they'd get funneled in on a line of bushes or get a bit too "back and forth" and I'd get close enough to tag them with my foot. Oh, and the Mountains of Colorado.. side hopping down shale slopes. I miss that.... I'm getting the zoomies RIGHT NOW!!! But I'm in bed.. and I should be going to sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    Wow, I'm amazed you people hike so often. Maybe I've lived in a metropolis for too long, but I just don't do hiking, nor do I want it. I also have almost no time to walk around the city for nothing. When do you guys get your shit done?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed you people hike so often. Maybe I've lived in a metropolis for too long, but I just don't do hiking, nor do I want it.
    Walking a city is to a nature hike what falling in the shower is to a Slip 'n Slide on a hot summer day as a robustly healthy ten year old...
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Walking a city is to a nature hike what falling in the shower is to a Slip 'n Slide on a hot summer day as a robustly healthy ten year old...
    Yeah, I don't walk in the city but I should be doing some exploring now that I'm in a new one.
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTx
    Do you ever feel happier just looking at trees?[/SIZE]
    Apparently nature helps to destress. Something about all the natural movements (e.g., leaves and branches swaying in the wind) calms the reptilian brain.

I don't go outside much, especially since the weather makes it difficult. I often get my exercise indoors and will watch a nature reel (like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_K_EHDaSew). Apparently "watching" nature produces that same calming effect as "being in" nature and it's apparently considered "better than nothing." I get at least 35 miles in a week and exercising indoors doesn't require excess time due to traveling, so it's convenient.

I have mixed feelings about being out in nature. I greatly enjoy going to parks or well-maintained hiking trails and looking at the plant life and being out in the rain/sun. However, I once tried to hike a nature reserve and couldn't handle the sheer amount of bugs. It was disgusting. And being out "in an open field" is boring...
    Last edited by noip; 05-15-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by ACow View Post
    Do american's have anything like the ubiquitous bowls clubs here in Australia?
    I think it's golf that is intended to fill that niche in N.A. Although I think there are a few lawn bowling clubs scattered around here and there. They are far from ubiquitous however.

I'd walk more and such but being stuck in an urban environment kind of squashes the whole nature angle. Beyond that I am also in the middle of boring prairie for miles on end so there is really nothing of interest for miles even outside the city. C'est la vie. I hang out in my backyard enough in the summer. At least there are lots of trees in the neighborhood and the air is relatively fresh (not a heavy industrial city).

Type
    INTP
    Had a few days off, finally, so I did make it out for some long walks. Walked along the river. Had a picnic. Went jogging in the park. Spent a lot of time on the deck. Took a nap in a hammock.

Yes, I am now sun-burned and I also sport a ring of bug bites around my hairline down to my shoulders. I think it was actually gnats this time. Biting gnats! I have welts on my jaw and my neck an inch long.

It still felt really good to get out. I hate being cooped up inside, especially with the TV on.

But damn.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Wow, I'm amazed you people hike so often. Maybe I've lived in a metropolis for too long, but I just don't do hiking, nor do I want it. I also have almost no time to walk around the city for nothing. When do you guys get your shit done?
    Aren't you among the most well-traveled members here? If I were to hike I'd use a weekend or vacation days like anyone else. I'll confess, I find lengthy nature hikes boring, I just enjoy the proximity to nature. Camping by the lakeside is nice. My extended family however are pretty social with some yahoos and so "camping" last year was like a trailer park experience, with as much alcohol and as little nature.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"