Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you have a pet...

Type
    INTP
    Names for my cat (Lev): papi, papá, papato, papatero, mami, mamá, pipí, pipo, pito, chichí, chochi, chochó, chacho, chachá, nini, mimi, pato, patito, patote, patotero and probably more

Names for my cat's cat (Fatass): gorda
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Huh. My nickname game seems lacking now. My girl, only has two nicknames: Mel (used to refer to her in conversation), and Mouse. Mouse is another name for her coat colour, blue.

I guess technically she has three. On walks I sometimes talk to her in Japanese: "Inu, ikuzo!" I'm counting Inu as another nickname.

@NedLudd, my aunt has a turtle with the best turtle name ever. Shelly.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Spock is Spocky, snugglebutt (sweetest cat EVER), gummy bear (he has zero teeth), squeaker (his meow is squeaky) and schmoo or schmoogle.
    Conan is Coco bear, beepy (his meow sounds beepy), ninja bear (he's got mad stealth skilz), belly belly (omg his belly flap is huge, and he's a skinny guy), and curly (cuz his tail is shaped like a question mark).
    Thufir is Thufy, Thufy-do, Thufy doofy do, Thufir duper, baby bear (because he's huge, but still the youngest), fomo cat (because he shows up in the middle of every single thing), baby duck (his meow is quack-like sometimes, though he has an impressive range of different sounds), and schmee or schmeegle.

I started calling my friend's Maine Coone "Fuzzbutt MacGregor" and it stuck.

Oh, almost forgot...together we are atom...different hydrogen configs. I am the proton, Spock on my shoulder is my neutron, and thufir, in his constant high energy orbit, is my electron. When it's just me and thufy (thufy is always there), we are hydrogen, when spock is there too, we are deuterium, and when conan shows up too, we are tritium. And we are just so nerdy that I can text my husband "Yay! tritium!" and he knows that means all the cats are hanging with me.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    paprika (cat) = poopwaka, poo

sylvia (chicken) = sylvia-poo, poo
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    intp
    This is Bandicoot brother of Crash and Eddie. I call him little cootie as he's the runt and prefers to cuddle with me over his brothers, which are inseparable. Also, he's a cootie. This is him right now:
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INFP
    I grew up all my life with dogs but my parents were very anti baby(pet) talk. It may have been the fact my father was a hunter, or my mother is a literature master, but in general silly speak was never employed in our house.

That said, we did all talk to our dogs like we were having conversations with them.

I guess the closest we got to many-naming was when one of our dogs had puppies. For a long time my mother was in charge of naming them and she always ran with a theme; first wives, baseball players, soap opera characters, movie starlets, etc. The one year that broke tradition was when a friend of mine ad hoc labeled a puppy Chuck for Chuck Norris. That year they all got action stars names including Sly and Arnie.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    I grew up all my life with dogs but my parents were very anti baby(pet) talk. It may have been the fact my father was a hunter, or my mother is a literature master, but in general silly speak was never employed in our house.

That said, we did all talk to our dogs like we were having conversations with them.

I guess the closest we got to many-naming was when one of our dogs had puppies. For a long time my mother was in charge of naming them and she always ran with a theme; first wives, baseball players, soap opera characters, movie starlets, etc. The one year that broke tradition was when a friend of mine ad hoc labeled a puppy Chuck for Chuck Norris. That year they all got action stars names including Sly and Arnie.
    Yeah, my upbringing was much the same in that regard. I remember giving people a furrowed scowl as a wee tyke when people engaged me with such behavior, and I remember they were taken aback when I spoke to them as equals--possibly with a bit of scorn for their condescension.

To me, pet talk is very different from baby talk, though I can see how an observer might find it difficult to distinguish. But I don't expect my pets to understand my speech, just my tone and lilt.

And yes, I do silly dances and walks for my pet's entertainment.

I also do magic tricks--badly. Most of the time she just patiently waits for me to stop trying to do sleight of hand with her treats and just give them to her--but every now and then I manage to astonish her, which is a delight for both of us. Giving my dog the zoomies by making a treat disappear and reappear from behind her ear is one of my life's greatest accomplishments. Even if it was just that one time.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    My golden retriever, Leo- Leo the Lion, Little Man, Mr. Man, Mr. Mister, Stink Head, Silly, Mister, Little Guy, Leo Littleman, Goofboy, Lionboy (he really does kind of look like a lion)

My cat, Ziggy- Ziggster, Ziggetedy Zig, Mr. Stardust, Zig