Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it just me or are women's clothes options just really shitty lately?

Type
    INTP
    I like Prana clothes, but something about them is just not right for me. I feel frumpy wearing them.

I get stuff at Ann Taylor, J Crew, and Brooks Brothers these days. Also Splendid and 7 for All Mankind, though I'm ready to ditch 7 as soon as I find another brand of jeans that fit. J Crew stuff is hit or miss, mostly miss but I still buy shorts there.

I got a shirt and flannel from Duluth Trading Company. They're not particularly comfortable. The fabrics are really thick and not at all drapey. And I got XS but its all still too big.

I've given up on Target clothes. Its so convenient, but most of the clothes are crap and in the off chance I find something I like enough to buy, it falls apart after a few days.

Skinny jeans and crop tops need to die. The fattest country on earth should not be wearing that shit. And why is every woman trying to show everyone her ass through super thin pants these days? I can see the outline of your cellulite, ffs.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Skinny jeans and crop tops need to die. The fattest country on earth should not be wearing that shit. And why is every woman trying to show everyone her ass through super thin pants these days? I can see the outline of your cellulite, ffs.
    This. As a fatty, the last time I went into Ross I left empty handed because all they had in my waist size were skinny and slim fit. I'm pretty sure that was the irregularity. If the waist is larger than 36", it should only come in relaxed fit. I'm not even one of those obeasts with giant fatty thighs and they felt like they were stretching to accommodate me.

PSA for people with giant asses: stretchy fabric stretches as you move, and as it does it grows more transparent because it doesn't magically acquire more fabric. This means if you're wandering around in leggings, when you kneel or bend over, or sit down, that fabric can become as sheer as those panels that are suddenly on leggings everywhere. The stretchier the fabric, the more likely this is to occur.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    I don't have any problem finding durable and comfortable clothing at a reasonable price but I can understand the issues members have raised here.

I have a colleague who makes a lot of her own clothes. She is in the US for the next three weeks and will be wearing a Toadie t-shirt so keep an eye out for her if you reside in the US.

Spoiler: Toadie

Obviously, some styles of clothing are very difficult for an amateur to make but she makes simple designs such as basic dresses and elasticized knee-length skirts. She has a quirky personality so chooses some unusual but interesting fabrics for her clothes and because she buys the fabrics herself, she can choose durable fabrics.

This might be one solution to finding durable and comfortable clothing. If people lack the skills or confidence, I don't imagine it would cost too much to have a professional make a garment because the time involved to produce a simple design should not be too great. The first one might take more time because it would involve getting fitted but reproducing the same design in different fabrics or with slight design variations would involve much less time so the cost would come down.

This option will not suit everyone but could suit some people and may be worth considering.
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTP
    Finding decent fabrics is not that easy, and those fabrics are expensive. The stuff they sell at places like Jo-Ann Fabrics is crap. I went there looking for fabric to make drain pockets for after my mastectomy and everything is polyester, nylon, etc. I found like one pure cotton fabric, only because I asked the lady at the counter, and all they had of it was a remnant.

Type
    INTP
    I have a Prana t-shirt that's the most comfortable t-shirt I own. I also have a Prana swimsuit that actually covers me pretty well. It's hard to find one with decent coverage that that isn't ugly.

Type
    ISFP
    Ive never heard of Prana, but im on their site now and these are the types of clothes i have been yearning for. A little pricey but seems worth it