Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much stuff do you do in your spare time?

Type
    INTP
    Thinking that the time you don't spend working is "spare time" is a mental trap intended to fuck you over. It's all your time. You sell some of it as work so you can live. There is no such thing as spare time.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Thinking that the time you don't spend working is "spare time" is a mental trap intended to fuck you over. It's all your time. You sell some of it as work so you can live. There is no such thing as spare time.
    Well... I think it's just a word. Perhaps the word "spare" implies / has the connotation that it's extra time or different or something. Yeah it's all your time. But most of us work some kind of 9-5 type thing. "spare" just means the time you are fully able to decide what you do with. Maybe you could start a discussion on that in another thread or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    When I was teaching, I got home and graded. I titrated how much grading I did against the line at which suicidal ideation began, and then I went to bed. I didn't get up until I had no choice, I didn't go to work until I had no choice, and in general, I felt, every day, as if I had no choice. I spent 10 years doing that and when I quit I felt like I was starting over on every part of life that isn't work.
    Oh yeah, I felt I could never escape it. My coworker used to proudly say he woke up at 4am to grade papers and also that he had worryingly high blood pressure. After I finished, I started riding across France, and I remember laying in some corn fields, reading a Jack Vance novel, realising my mind was so light and free from any upcoming burdens to worry about. I actually value having had the experience just to be able to contrast against it. Maybe that's why I spend some evenings just drinking or doing aimless things, because it's a really nice freedom sometimes to not need to be always busy. (but just sometimes)

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    That's great. I get in 3 hours of creative work and 45 minutes of exercise before I go to work. I'd rather do the exercise in the afternoon but then I'd have to shower again. Anyhow, concentration and creativity are best in the morning, before the bullshit of the day starts. I'm addicted to it, if I don't get that morning (ALONE) time in I'd be a depressed puppy.
    What kind of hours do you work?

I've got to be there for 8.5 hours per day which includes 1 hour lunch. I usually do 9-5:30 because I'm not often enthusiastic about getting out of bed. However, 7:30-4pm is great if you can do it. I'm blessed with a 15min walking commute. I would recommend this.

I would need to wake at 5:30 to do what you suggest. It's outside my realm of experience, but is intriguing.

I find that at about 9pm I have an urge to be very creative. Unfortunately this is the time I probably should be about to sleep.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Well... I think it's just a word. Perhaps the word "spare" implies / has the connotation that it's extra time or different or something. Yeah it's all your time. But most of us work some kind of 9-5 type thing. "spare" just means the time you are fully able to decide what you do with. Maybe you could start a discussion on that in another thread or something.
    Words mean things, and the words we choose to use can have subtle but profound impacts on the experiences we end up perceiving. My contribution here is that using "spare" to describe your non-working time is a linguistic trap intended to devalue your time by making time not spent working as "spare", and therefore of less value, and pack you into being a drone because that's the only time you have value. It appears to have worked on you, because you don't even see your work hours as hours you are fully able to decide what to do with yourself.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 06-08-2019 at 04:40 AM.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    ISFP
    I get off work at 1pm usually and I'm purely exhausted. I have the whole day to do whatever I want, but I just choose to sleep at this point.

The 6 pack thing I relate to, but I usually just have 2 pints of beer and call it a day. Rinse repeat. When i make more money ill probably get some hobbies

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    What kind of hours do you work?
    8 or less and I live 10 minutes away. Canonically my day is

• 4:30-5AM Wake
    • 5AM-9AM Self work (+ quick shower/eat at my desk)
    • 9AM-5PM Day work
    • 5PM-9PM exercise (I switched to evening), music, family
    • 9PM Sleep

It gives me 8 hours sleep, 4 hours self work and a full day at work. If there's any commute it would take from this. Food is fuel not socializing so I eat at my desk, except dinner where we have a short family dinner and socialize away from the table.

You have to keep your schedule tight and not deviate, and make the most of each block. Also my day job (and self work) takes a lot of thinking, so in a sense even showering or driving of course I'm still thinking through problems and making plans.

What about rest? I rest through changing tasks, not by staring at the wall. A lot of people have discovered this, I combine being a musician with different types of work to keep myself fresh. It really works.