View Poll Results: Are we living in a simulation?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 20.00%
  • No

10 50.00%
  • <#:// secret choice >

6 30.00%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Are we living in a "simulation"?

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by P-O View Post
    Simulation theory is fun to think about, but at the end of the day it's a not-even-wrong assumption about reality. You can be perfectly consistent if you choose to believe it or not. Nothing can ever prove you wrong.
    You're probably wrong. You can start here. There are many world leading physicists who believe the simulation hypothesis is potentially testable.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    You're probably wrong. You can start here. There are many world leading physicists who believe the simulation hypothesis is potentially testable.
    The ideas like the one you link in the article are specific subsets of the "simulation theory". The assumption that simulation theory IMPLIES any "low computational complexity" can be true or false. This test cannot disprove simulation theory in general....It can only, at best, disprove the "low computational complexity" model. Someone could simply hypothesize a "higher computational complexity" model... or some totally different idea that neither of us have thought of.
    Violence is never the right answer, unless used against heathens and monsters.

Type
    eNTP
    What would it take to simulate your life though?
    I'm suspicious of people who say they'll die for a flag but won't wear a mask for their neighbor.

Type
    INFP
    Sometimes I also believe in a simulation theory of the world, however it's more that I believe there are infinite spiritual dimensions our minds and souls can access from within our imagination and dreams.

The tangible physical evidence of which you can see before your own eyes right now.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I just found this thread. I think it is very likely that I'm in a simulation....

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Miscellaneous quotes and ideas (with visuals)
    There's a one in billions chance that this is base reality [NOT a simulation]

- Elon Musk
    From YouTube "Is life a video game? | Elon Musk | Code Conference 2016" (2:51)
    (Is this why there is suffering?)

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program.

- Agent Smith
    Modern Last Thursdayism (Last Thursdayism for the new generation)

The idea that our matrix and our oldest memories were created last Thursday
    Why I think the Tree of Life / Sefirot is complete nonsense:

Apparently the "argument from authority" is a logical fallacy. I have been developing a new holistic approach to esoteric symbols and found that nothing in the "Tree of Life" or Sefirot fits nicely with my system. Perhaps the source of the Sefirot was initially useful but then lost the connection with objective reality. Personally I suspect that our objective reality is that we are part of a simulation that can have paradoxes (such as those in Christianity).
    Bender, being God isn't easy... You have to use a light touch like a safecracker or a pickpocket... When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

The God Entity, Futurama
    [perhaps] some malicious demon of the utmost power and cunning has employed all his energies in order to deceive me. I shall think that the sky, the air, the earth, colours, shapes, sounds and all external things are merely the delusions of dreams which he has devised to ensnare my judgment.

Rene Descartes 1641

(Though our senses can be deceived, we can be sure that we exist in some sense - even if it is as a part of a simulation)
    If we are in a simulation then the supernatural is theoretically possible like it is in the Sims though delusion is a more likely explanation
    If we are in a simulation, long-lasting hell is theoretically possible. May the master of our matrix be merciful.
    Last year I had a hunch that there was an "intelligent force". Today I started referring to "the master of our matrix". It seems likely that it exists and could be at least partly an AI.

Type
    INXP
    @OP if you mean to say this reality is only part of a larger reality, then I would agree. But to put the specifics of us being bits and bytes of data is a bit far fetched IMO. It's a popular view by fringe scientists because technology has taken off so much and people want to act like science has an answer for everything including how life came to be, that we are simply bits of data that is transmuted as it's simulation plays across time. Sounds fantastical, but ultimately, nonsensical.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Yes. Life is a game. I'm Morpheus and offered the moderators, they who are programmers, a red bill or blue pill which they must chose between.

Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I'm currently about 90-93% certain that we are indeed living in a simulation. What I'll add, however, is that I don't believe this simulation or the "people" running it are all that similar to us and neither is their technology. My best guess is that we're some kind of long-form of entertainment for higher dimensional beings - the good, the bad, and the ugly of life all has it's entertainment value to them. A large number of people could very well be simulated by beings unbound to time that can play multiple characters "at once". Post-birth amnesia of previous lives is just a part of the "game". Why does God let good people suffer? Why does Mario gain a life when he eats a green mushroom? Very similar questions.

This, if true, would suggest that we reassess the morality of things like murder and especially suicide, which would be the equivalent of rage-quitting.
    In the Qur'an i recently found out it says there are other planets like Earth, "in which Allahs command runs within".

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by peacewarrior View Post
    In the Qur'an i recently found out it says there are other planets like Earth, "in which Allahs command runs within".
    If you read Scientific American or any number of other popular science publications, you would have learned a lot more.