View Poll Results: Are we living in a simulation?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 20.00%
  • No

    10 50.00%
  • <#:// secret choice >

    6 30.00%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 81

Thread: Are we living in a "simulation"?

  1. #51
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,401
    Talking bullshit:

    The gf and I have a thing. Periodically we call ourselves random dessert names. We don't do this all the time, but often. I pick up my phone today and decide to call her "cream puff", and just as I'm about to, she texts me calling me this. I'm not sure it's a term we've used before.

    A mere fun coincidence, but lets pretend it's not. Barring the possibility that we've both shared a kind of recent experience that would have implanted the word in our heads, I'm trying to imagine a quantum decoherence that has the event either out of sync or flipped with a parallel reality such that perception of unfolding events can be forward declenched.

    In a "simulation" scenario, this shouldn't happen, unless our own simulated actions are poorly calibrated.

  2. #52
    A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,924
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Talking bullshit:

    The gf and I have a thing. Periodically we call ourselves random dessert names. We don't do this all the time, but often. I pick up my phone today and decide to call her "cream puff", and just as I'm about to, she texts me calling me this. I'm not sure it's a term we've used before.

    A mere fun coincidence, but lets pretend it's not. Barring the possibility that we've both shared a kind of recent experience that would have implanted the word in our heads, I'm trying to imagine a quantum decoherence that has the event either out of sync or flipped with a parallel reality such that perception of unfolding events can be forward declenched.

    In a "simulation" scenario, this shouldn't happen, unless our own simulated actions are poorly calibrated.
    Maybe you are both running on android?
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

    This SEP field is glorious!

  3. #53
    Ieilaelite pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Talking bullshit:

    The gf and I have a thing. Periodically we call ourselves random dessert names. We don't do this all the time, but often. I pick up my phone today and decide to call her "cream puff", and just as I'm about to, she texts me calling me this. I'm not sure it's a term we've used before.

    A mere fun coincidence, but lets pretend it's not. Barring the possibility that we've both shared a kind of recent experience that would have implanted the word in our heads, I'm trying to imagine a quantum decoherence that has the event either out of sync or flipped with a parallel reality such that perception of unfolding events can be forward declenched.

    In a "simulation" scenario, this shouldn't happen, unless our own simulated actions are poorly calibrated.
    Why shouldn't that happen? It's not that big of a coincidence, there are only so many dessert names you both know and would be willing to call each other. I'm guessing you don't greet each other with "flan" or "strudel", for example.

    I also see no reason why even unlikely coincidences shouldn't happen in a simulation.

  4. #54
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Why shouldn't that happen? It's not that big of a coincidence, there are only so many dessert names you both know and would be willing to call each other. I'm guessing you don't greet each other with "flan" or "strudel", for example.

    I also see no reason why even unlikely coincidences shouldn't happen in a simulation.
    I only meant that so-called quantum decoherence shouldn't happen in a simulation unless we want to extrapolate that parallel instances are part of the simulation design.

    Not contesting that it's just minor coincidence, I explicitly said so.

  5. #55
    Ieilaelite pensive_pilgrim's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I only meant that so-called quantum decoherence shouldn't happen in a simulation unless we want to extrapolate that parallel instances are part of the simulation design.

    Not contesting that it's just minor coincidence, I explicitly said so.
    Oh, I gotcha.

    But now I want to know which dessert names would fall outside of the boundaries for you two. I like sweet food pet names too and in the past I've had bad reactions to "sweet potato" and "jelly bean". Would "banana split" work? How about "empire biscuit"? "Butter tart"? "Ladyfingers"? "Funnel cake"?

  6. #56
    malarkey oxyjen's Avatar
    Type
    INtP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Oh, I gotcha.

    But now I want to know which dessert names would fall outside of the boundaries for you two. I like sweet food pet names too and in the past I've had bad reactions to "sweet potato" and "jelly bean". Would "banana split" work? How about "empire biscuit"? "Butter tart"? "Ladyfingers"? "Funnel cake"?
    Some of these sound oddly explicit.

    Cream puff > cream pie, for example

  7. #57
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,401
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Oh, I gotcha.

    But now I want to know which dessert names would fall outside of the boundaries for you two. I like sweet food pet names too and in the past I've had bad reactions to "sweet potato" and "jelly bean". Would "banana split" work? How about "empire biscuit"? "Butter tart"? "Ladyfingers"? "Funnel cake"?
    :P I've learned that these are all fair game. Bundt cake, cheese danish...

  8. #58
    A Transient Configuration Sistamatic's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    6,924
    Make sure to load Hubig's pie, king cake, beignet, and moon pie in the barrel for mardi gras season.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

    This SEP field is glorious!

  9. #59
    New Member Raven's Avatar
    Type
    iNtP
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by notdavidlynch View Post
    I'm currently about 90-93% certain that we are indeed living in a simulation. What I'll add, however, is that I don't believe this simulation or the "people" running it are all that similar to us and neither is their technology. My best guess is that we're some kind of long-form of entertainment for higher dimensional beings - the good, the bad, and the ugly of life all has it's entertainment value to them. A large number of people could very well be simulated by beings unbound to time that can play multiple characters "at once". Post-birth amnesia of previous lives is just a part of the "game". Why does God let good people suffer? Why does Mario gain a life when he eats a green mushroom? Very similar questions.

    This, if true, would suggest that we reassess the morality of things like murder and especially suicide, which would be the equivalent of rage-quitting.
    Great thread that I would like to revisit in a bit. I'd like to zero in with a twist on that quintessential bit of wisdom posed in Sinny's signature:

    All truth passes through three stages:

    First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

  10. #60
    tsuj a notelpmis QuickTwist's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Talking bullshit:

    The gf and I have a thing. Periodically we call ourselves random dessert names. We don't do this all the time, but often. I pick up my phone today and decide to call her "cream puff", and just as I'm about to, she texts me calling me this. I'm not sure it's a term we've used before.

    A mere fun coincidence, but lets pretend it's not. Barring the possibility that we've both shared a kind of recent experience that would have implanted the word in our heads, I'm trying to imagine a quantum decoherence that has the event either out of sync or flipped with a parallel reality such that perception of unfolding events can be forward declenched.

    In a "simulation" scenario, this shouldn't happen, unless our own simulated actions are poorly calibrated.
    Tv or radio adds.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •