Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why has the quality of Barbie dolls declined?

Type
    INTP
    So, I talked to my sister about her dolls, of which she estimates she has 400-500, varying types, not all Barbies, but she would concur w/the OP, that the dolls of the 90s were better. She can't really tell in some regard because they never come out of the box but she see there was definitely more detail then. She says that unless it's specific to a person, like in connection to movie or event, they don't really really put the care into making them. She believes these dolls are more for "playing with" than keep on display. She did say they still have the $30 Barbies but you kinda have to look for them.

She only has one or two American Girl dolls. She and her friend went into one of their stores in a mall to look. They both collect dolls but neither have kids. They also wouldn't think twice about dropping $100 on a doll. But they got in the store and didn't think any were that cute. I think I heard this before but never made the connection, there are restaurants in the mall, like Cheesecake Factory and others along that line that have special chairs specifically for your American Girl doll to sit while you eat. What in the absolute hell?! IDK, if I drop $100 on a doll I wouldn't want her out. I know she can't eat, I still don't want any mustard or spaghetti sauce getting on her outfit. Oh hell no! She did say the line of accessories for those dolls is insane. If you break your leg, you can get a cast and crutches for your doll to match. Just everything.

Turns out, I was the one who gave her a Paralympic Barbie in the wheelchair. I had totally forgot about it but I think some new ones came out recently. I'll actually have to look at them more the next time I visit. Besides not really having an interest in dolls, shocker, it's just one room in her house I always tend to avoid. What could possibly go wrong in a room full of collectibles? I don't smoke or have any unruly pets but I still don't want to know the answer.

Type
    INXj
    You usually get what you pay for so I'm not understanding what OP means about quality.

I remember back in the day how awesome it was to play with a Barbie, at least to some childhood friends I know. I did not share the interests though. Dolls creep me out. They still do. Or possibly because my parents can only afford to buy me paper dolls. I loved my paper dolls!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    there are restaurants in the mall, like Cheesecake Factory and others along that line that have special chairs specifically for your American Girl doll to sit while you eat.
    Holy shit. Now I want to show up to a Cheesecake factory with a full-on Lars and the Real Girl sex doll.

Type
    INTP
    The quality of some brands of human clothes that I used to buy has noticeably declined over the years. I suppose that sales or profitability fell so companies looked for ways to cut costs. I suspect that these clothing brands are outsourcing their design as well as their production. I suspect that manufacturers in Asia are getting more sophisticated where they now come up with designs that are cheap and easy to manufacture then offer them to any clothing brand that wants to attach their label to them.

Perhaps something similar is going on with clothes for Barbie.
    Big change is coming