Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Black Ariel

Type
    INTP
    Mulan could definitely do with a remake, because the execution of the original was of such mixed quality, IMO.

Looks like they're going with the "Chinese historical king fu fantasy means everyone is emotionless" trope. Damn it.

Oh well. I don't have high hopes. Mulan definitely failed to find its balance when it came to tone, but at least it had a range and the characters had genuine personalities, some of which were fun. This one looks completely flat.

Oh well. :/

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Mulan could definitely do with a remake, because the execution of the original was of such mixed quality, IMO.

Looks like they're going with the "Chinese historical king fu fantasy means everyone is emotionless" trope. Damn it.

Oh well. I don't have high hopes. Mulan definitely failed to find its balance when it came to tone, but at least it had a range and the characters had genuine personalities, some of which were fun. This one looks completely flat.

Oh well. :/
    Mushu is hands down the best Disney sidekick. Eddie Murphy killed it with Mushu.

(obviously spoilers in the vid)
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    When I first opened this thread, I actually thought is was going to be about this (lol):

Spoiler: Hide

Ran across this in my you tube recommendations, presumably because I've been in this thread. The premise is that this is essentially blaxploitation.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I don't think this was a case of a story that was taken liberties with for the purpose of sheltering kids. There are a few Disney films with memorably tragic ends, or near-ends since the final note is typically lightened, and children aren't ruined for it (e.g. Fox and the Hound, Bambi, Dumbo). It's just not what mass audiences like. The most popular among the Disney films seem to have non-tragic ends.
    Ehhh I think that a protagonist turning into sea foam doesn't make for a good kids' movie. True that lots of kids movies have some tragedy in them, but nobody wins in the case of the Little Mermaid.

Where's the railing against a cold uncaring Universe? I guess kids wouldn't go for that.
    I think All Dogs Go to Heaven probably has some of that (though I think it's not Disney?). But the title is basically preparing you for what's going to happen. And he doesn't turn into sea foam.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Fairy tales originated as an oral folk lore tradition where the story could change from village to village as it spread, there really is no original version.
    Yep, that wasn't a good way to put it ("original version"). But the version I told you about is one of the documented early versions of LRRH, it was part of a Sociology course, I don't have those materials anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/14/danie...es-bond-movie/

Now 007 is reportedly a black woman. Your move, Disney
    Last edited by MoneyJungle; Yesterday at 12:49 AM. Reason: changed James Bond to 007

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I think All Dogs Go to Heaven probably has some of that (though I think it's not Disney?). But the title is basically preparing you for what's going to happen. And he doesn't turn into sea foam.
    That was one of my favorites. Correct, it's a Don Bluth film. He also produced The Secret of NIMH and An American Tail. NIMH was a revelation to impressionable tyke me because of how dark it was.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    https://www.tmz.com/2019/07/14/danie...es-bond-movie/

Now 007 is reportedly a black woman. Your move, Disney
    Im surprised this hasn't caught on

Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i haven’t even seen any of the disney live-action remakes but (i hate to say this but) i’ll probably start with mulan and the little mermaid
    There’s Aladdin but I don’t see anything special about the remake. They’ve ruined A Whole New World too. I might take my kids to see The Lion King on the big screen next week. If only to see how the story unfolds with the new technology these days.