• add might be real

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: add

Type
    INTP
    @mhc and @jigglypuff

I have never had any difficulty concentrating but sometimes my students do. What do I need to understand and what can I do to help such students?
    Big change is coming

Type
    INTP
    I just took an ADD/ADHD self test out of curiosity.

I have never considered myself to have ADD/ADHD, although I seem to tick many of the descriptors.

As a child I spent most my time either out playing in the dirt, or in my room drawing/writing/daydreaming. Throughout school it was not uncommon to find me writing in my diary or drawing at the back of class. That even continued in college. Mostly because the pace of the teaching was too slow, despite being in top class throughout. Not slow because I'm super smart, I think I am smart, but not like Mensa Smart, maybe if I came from a more supportive background, I'd have excelled academically.. It's just that other people are generally slow. So I had a lot of spare time to do other things, like draw & daydream.

Spoiler: Meanwhile at the back of Genetics class

I am impatient, but I'm not a social retard. I can and will zone out if somebody is communicating something slowly or in monotone, but I can always tune it at the rights moments to piece together the context, and often preempt any conclusion to the story.

I do fidget a lot, but I don't feel the need to get up from a seat if we're supposed to be sitting in a social situation. I'll often be found playing or tapping something. If I use a mouse on my laptop, I'll annoy others around me by clicking it about 120 times a minute, between habitually highlighting things on screen. I like to click pens too. If I am truly engrossed in a task, I can spend hours upon hours without taking a break. Even if it's psychical labour, I generally don't stop until the job is done.

I generally don't start tedious tasks until the proverbial last minute before a deadline. I'll then power it out, unless it's something I was invested in, I can struggle to get to the end if the "important" stuff is done. This is in regard to paperwork & reports & stuff... covering mandatory and/or repetitive and tedious points bores my soul.

I've never considered it abnormal, but I do accept that I often have more energy than others and I need to find a away to release that energy.

Test results were 65% indication of ADD/ADHD... But I just voted to say it probably shouldn't exist.
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    It’s bullshit that fuels the prescription crack industry.

I do better with coffee in me but all I really want to know is how much I can drink while on adderall and stay standing and how much does it help hangovers, still too cheap to get a prescription to find out. Has anybody tried blinkhealth.com? I think it would really help my hole digging abilities

Honestly I'd probably make a lot more money if I popped dexedrine but it would all go poof the moment I started to develop side effects. It's society that's wrong, obviously. But, money.
    Last edited by flurps; 07-12-2019 at 12:36 AM.

Type
    ISTP
    It's a stupid name really. This so-called defect or wiring variance, tribally, would've relegated it's sufferer to the proud occupation of being a scout/soldier. The scout would rely on the many benefits of reactionary strengths, but would be subordinant to the psychopath, tribally, a fearless warrior unmatched in the prowess of warfare. Et cetera.

The ADHD psych diagnosis should be a case by case thing based on 3-D imaging data that targets what regions are problematic with modern medicine's prescription band-aid protocol. I know this isn't Star Trek so as a very theoretically viable treatment, they're looking at just fixing malfunction on the level of DNA. Anyway, yeah, on over diagnoses n stuff. Some people are sick and just want to be fixed but the doc gets it wrong, some coerce a bit cuz they're in love with facades that bring their lives into relevence maybe by, for one, aspects of community validation or whatever.

I'm not into stims cuz they makes me crazy-er. So do what works insofar as it works or don't. So but, we make do right, and enjoy the fruits of our labors, grow old, the cycle repeats itself. These days I just wanna sip something in peace without trying to fix all my issues. I'm damaged, figuring a way to make do, no need for a Doctor to butt in.

Type
    ISTP
    @Sinny

Why aren't you an ISTP? Like, the smart answer. Ya know. Thanks.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If you ask a med peddling psychiatrist to diagnose you, they'll always, invariably, happily diagnose form of it.
    This.

When I was 11 I was diagnosed with some rare form of ADD that includes "low energy", 2 years later a different therapist told me she thought that diagnosis was nonsense and that it was very apparent didn't have ADD. As an adult, I've noticed I have an exceptionally good ability to stay focused on things. If I have ADD then every human of the face of the earth has it, and at that point it wouldn't be a disorder it's just 'how humans are'.

The psychiatrist that gave me the diagnosis did so within 15 minutes of meeting me and insisted that I must have this rare form of ADD because I appeared to have low energy and wasn't getting straight As in school. I pointed out to her that on that particular day I was tired because it was an especially busy day at school, but she wouldn't hear of it and pumped me full of meds.

The medication made me very moody, and I hated how they made me feel. I was significantly much more aggressive on the meds, but my parents didn't want me to stop them because my grades were getting better. We got into a lot of arguments about it, grades were extremely important to them. Eventually I stopped taking them after a few months because I just couldn't take it anymore. My grades didn't get consistently good until the last few years of high school when I was surrounded by classmates that were actually nice to me.

My problem wasn't a mental disorder, my problem was that I was surrounded by sociopathic assholes for most of my time in school and my brain was more concerned about surviving than getting a stupid grade that had no impact on my life (the irony of it all is that the school I was going to when I was being medicated was a private school that turned out to not have proper accreditation, and most of my credits didn't transfer to the public high school I switched to, so those grades literally had zero impact on my life).

I say be weary of ADD diagnosis'.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    TThe psychiatrist that gave me the diagnosis did so within 15 minutes of meeting me and insisted that I must have this rare form of ADD because I appeared to have low energy and wasn't getting straight As in school. I pointed out to her that on that particular day I was tired because it was an especially busy day at school, but she wouldn't hear of it and pumped me full of meds.

The medication made me very moody, and I hated how they made me feel. I was significantly much more aggressive on the meds, but my parents didn't want me to stop them because my grades were getting better. We got into a lot of arguments about it, grades were extremely important to them.
    that's pretty fucked up. aren't your parents in the mental health field?
    i sneeze like a grandpa.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    that's pretty fucked up. aren't your parents in the mental health field?
    Yes, and it's these sorts of moments that are why I'm incredibly thankful they were at least ethically minded enough to send me to other professionals at an attempt to get an objective opinion instead of being incredibly unprofessional and diagnose me themselves. Parents are not objective, even if they're psychologists, perhaps especially if they're psychologists.

It was their way of trying to fix perceived problems. Some people get hit with a flip flop when they get bad grades, I got dragged to therapists. Life's funny that way I guess.

If I grew up believing I had everything they suspected I had at one time or another I can't imagine what a spineless fearful little thing I'd be today (that also wasn't the optimal outcome for them either, hence why they insisted on checking instead of just accepting all their guesses).

It's part of why I cringe so much when I see people self diagnose. My parents had post graduate degrees in the field, were pretty good at their jobs, and even still they couldn't overcome the natural un-objectivity that comes with dealing with someone close to you. They were wrong a lot. Heck, even to this day I out argue my mom about things. She's my mom.

It was annoying growing up, but hey, I can't help but think having to come up with arguments with mental health care professionals about why I'm not actually fucked up has maybe contributed to my debate skills? Who knows. Besides, there are a lot worse childhoods. I grew up near some of them, so I don't think I have much to complain about.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If you ask a med peddling psychiatrist to diagnose you, they'll always, invariably, happily diagnose form of it.
    Yep, I had a psychiatrist who decided I might have ADD simply because I had trouble focusing at work (because I was being extremely overworked) and was making mistakes. So she prescribed me a 90 day dose of Ritalin. Later on I casually mentioned my heart disease and she rapidly started telling me not to take the Ritalin anymore. I still take it sometimes before I do chores, go on a hike, or if it’s just a slow Friday.