• add might be real

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: add

Type
    iNtP

add

so, i was diagnosed as add the other day. interestingly as a side part, upon the psychometric testing it was discovered that i excelled at the pattern recognition, in the vicinity of 1% of the population. the guy was impressed saying that the results were in the 'genius' level. yay.

curious about others experience with add
    Just look at the blue sky

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i have adhd. there’s a thread about this somewhere.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    It's the new Scientology, make up a reason why all of your problems aren't your fault, then sell you the solution. It's always easier when the solution is amphetamines.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    It's the new Scientology, make up a reason why all of your problems aren't your fault, then sell you the solution. It's always easier when the solution is amphetamines.
    Valid point. The education system is just some thrown together garbage like when you just move in a new place, and just dump everything without ever taking the time to feng shui it, and adderall, somehow got thrown in that loop.
    abstractionist

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Agreed.

I think such things as ADD and ADHD are complete bullshit made up to serve an industry of "care".

Personal responsibility: get some. Mental fortitude: get some.

Type
    xxxx
    lol. yes, managing treatment and coping strategies IS your personal responsibility.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    If you ask a med peddling psychiatrist to diagnose you, they'll always, invariably, happily diagnose form of it. They don't look any further than your regurgitating you sometimes have trouble focusing, because that's all it's based on. So without denying that ADHD may be an actual conceivable issue (unsure is evidenced), it most often is not, and certainly not rigorously tested. We're a medicated society.

I was diagnosed when I was younger, once as a toddler (the drugs had no effect so my parents ditched them, apparently at fucking preschool level they thought I was too daydream-ey), and later as a a teen. I was also a chronic fucking insomniac, but that didn't matter to them.

I've known individuals with a hyperactive nature who've grown be successful (one a millionaire, another a pro hockey player) without a hint of medication. They've always maintained an active, healthy lifestyle. Focus for school just needs to be trained in.
    Last edited by Faust; 07-05-2019 at 11:47 PM.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    iNtP
    cmon then gangsters, put your money where your mouth is in the poll
    Just look at the blue sky

Type
    ISTP
    @mhc which test?

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If you ask a med peddling psychiatrist to diagnose you, they'll always, invariably, happily diagnose form of it. They don't look any further than your regurgitating you sometimes have trouble focusing, because that's all it's based on. So without denying that ADHD may be an actual conceivable issue (unsure is evidenced), it most often is not, and certainly not rigorously tested. We're a medicated society.

I was diagnosed when I was younger, once as a toddler (the drugs had no effect so my parents ditched them, apparently at fucking preschool level they thought I was too daydream-ey), and later as a a teen. I was also a chronic fucking insomniac, but that didn't matter to them.
    i easily believe that overdiagnosis is a problem in some populations, but i think it's likely underdiagnosed in girls/women (for example). i was curious about how it happens that women are so commonly diagnosed well into adulthood, and according to some mental health professionals i've asked about this, there's this similar bias when it comes to autism and other medical issues too. biased research practices exist, and stereotypes of what adhd looks like and who it affects can obviously be misleading about the inner experience of living with it.

also plenty of people with adhd choose to go unmedicated and it varies in severity. for reasons, i'm not on the first-line treatment but i am on a medication off-label that's been effective for me. the way it works for me isn't how most would expect (i think), but i don't really wanna get into that.

diagnosing toddlers is controversial for very good reason and i've heard many versions of that exact story but that's not an argument against its existence. i mean, i personally don't agree with checking first or checking only for adhd when a small child is displaying the symptoms.

I've known individuals with a hyperactive nature who've grown be successful (one a millionaire, another a pro hockey player) without a hint of medication. They've always maintained an active, healthy lifestyle. Focus for school just needs to be trained in.
    this person probably wouldn't get diagnosed with it though, and adhd isn't a lack of focus training. (lolwtf)
    FUCK SHIT