Thread: What's your experience with tornadoes?

Type
    ISFP

What's your experience with tornadoes?

How many have you seen? And what do you remember about the event(s)?

I think I saw one in the distance as a kid before, nothing major

But tornadoes have scared the shit out of me since that movie twister

What's your experience with 'em and where?

Type
    INTP
    There was a tornado here in 2005.

I missed it.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    I was camping with family in an RV park when one passed over. It started with the most intense downpour I've ever seen. Everybody in the park was told to go shelter in the little rec room building, and in the two seconds of walking from the RV to the car I was completely drenched. Then we huddled in the building with the power out, a bunch of families in a little dark hallway, while it roared outside. My grandpa stayed in his truck because he couldn't bring his ferret in and didn't want to leave it alone, and my grandma was pretty upset by this. At one point somebody thought they smelled gas which was a little scary. After a while it ended and we went out and there was a bunch of tree limbs everywhere, some stuff was blown over but overall not too much damage. It didn't touch down, just came close overhead.

Type
    INTP
    I've seen a few funnel clouds form at a safe distance. Most of my experience has been with their smaller desert cousin, the dust devil. I remember we had an assembly in elementary school to teach us how to deal with them if/when we got caught in one on the playground. It was probably the most valuable thing I learned in the second grade.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Long time ago when I was young I woke up in the early morning hours to lots and lots of sirens, and the power was out. I wondered what the hell was going on, but I didn't want to investigate because I figured maybe it would be a good excuse to sleep in.

I slept well past sunrise and no one was bothering me and I began to realize whatever was going on had caused school to be cancelled. Now I was quite curious. When I found out from my mom it had been a tornado I was so excited I called a friend just to be like "there was a tornado!!!!!!!!" Then I went out on my bike and figured out which way to go to see where the path had been. It was like a mile from my house. I had friends who had their houses completely turned into a pile of rubble. My high school's gym was damaged too. Think it was an F4 and it killed 4 people.

Type
    INTP
    I have a coworker who moved here after her home town was devastated by a tornado. Some friends of hers were killed. I think her house was destroyed. She narrowly avoided getting caught in it.

She gets very anxious every year around the anniversary.

Type
    INTP
    Been through many a warning but thankfully never really any all that close. I have seen some ominous dark funnel clouds in the sky. They didn't touch down. Supposedly. Even though they were way off on the horizon, once we saw it, we got away from the windows and hung out in the basement for awhile. Oh, wait, no, I take that back. I did see one that did touch down. I didn't see it touch down but saw some of the damage on the local news later on. I just say it from a distance. It took awhile, thought it was just a tease.

I saw 3 starts of funnel clouds in the sky at one time. Again, not that close but it had an end of the world type of feeling. I may've been all of 12 at the time. We did hear some HUGE thunder claps. One sounded like a compound explosion right after this lightning bolt struck and it was extremely close. It was like 3 or 4 in the afternoon, you'd figure still bright, even with dark clouds withstanding. Uh uh. the whole room filled with a flash of white light, like a x-ray popping in a cartoon. I believe some hail started falling, followed by heavy rain but at that point the mean nasty clouds were not to be seen.

My brother in law has gone out on some of those stormchaser excursions, even one time when they filmed the crew for some cable TV show but I don't believe they really saw much that trip. They zig zag across the midwest following storms. I forget what self imposed rules they have. One time they found one and the storm suddenly switched directions. They ended up hiding out under a highway underpass as a twister when over head or somewhat nearby. It was jet engine loud. Sure, I'd like to see one but I have zero desire to be in one.

Type
    INTJ
    The worst one was a supercell outbreak that killed 22 people in the state. If I recall, 83 tornadoes touched down that day.
    Three boys were killed in their mobile home just two miles down the street.
    I remember strongly, standing in the middle of the house (McMansion, not really anywhere to hide, debated getting into my car in the garage, but there was a multi-gym in the bedroom above it) -I was waiting for the house to tear apart, or roof to come off, windows to blow out etc. It sounded like a commercial jet was somehow hovering above the house. It was too obscured with the rain to see anything outside, but you could hear them out there (it later transpired that there were three outside, to the north, south and west of the house).
    Here's a news story about that day, including pictures of the three boys who tragically died, hiding in their closet: https://www.wral.com/weather/story/9455587/

https://www.wral.com/weather/video/9458024/

Here's another one from September 2012, where I filmed one of the savage July thunderstorms heading down from the North. I think it's a timelapse I was making. I was standing in the open doorway, just behind the camera. At the very end of the video, you can see a tornado start forming on the left of screen. It touched down just after I grabbed the camera (where the video ends) and hit the next town over (which was always getting hit!) - Rolesville, NC

Finally, July 2010. The tornado watch warnings went off on the TV, so naturally, I jumped up and grabbed my camera, only to see this beauty of a rotating mass, trying to form a funnel cloud right above my house:
    This one again touched down in the nearby town of Rolesville.

Sabor original