Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Summarize Naruto

Type
    istj

Summarize Naruto

What are some key terms and what's the gist of the show?

Type
    eNTP
    You trying to feign otaku-hood?
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    istj
    I should've worded the title of the thread differently, but you know when people know something so well they can effortlessly explain it in a way that most people would understand

That's what I'm looking for, insider information broken down to where I can have a basic conversation with my girlfriend about Naruto without having to do any of the legwork

So far I know that the more tails the creatures have the stronger they are

I bought her a uchiha hoodie (had to return it as it was like 300 sizes too large)

Anyway I'm babbling

I just wanted to suck some brains about it cuz Naruto has so many episodes I feel overwhelmed and don't want to watch it at this point

I'll be taking her to a restaurant nearby called Naroodle soon, which is largely based on Naruto and I want to fit in in some way

Yes I want to be a poser

Type
    eNTP
    Naruto is an epic in every sense of the word, so it would take more than a post to really do much justice to it and it's building blocks. If all you want is relevant details, I recommend browsing Narutopedia.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    Warning: This is a VAST oversimplification. Like @Hephaestus said, Naruto is an epic and you cannot do it justice with a simple summary. I highly recommend watching it; if it's too many episodes, you can skip some of the filler or just read the manga. I tried to give the bare gist, but still... There's so much missing, and it's been a while since I've seen it. Narutopedia actually has a page for the plot of Naruto if you wanna take a look at that as well.

Spoiler: horribly vast oversimplification
    Setting: A world of ninja nations each with their own ninja village (you can tell where a ninja comes from based on the symbol on their headband).

Who is Naruto?
    An orphan child and outcast from Konohagakure ("Hidden Leaf Village") who's sort of a delinquent, worst in his class, etc. but he's determined to become the leader of his ninja village (for that village, the leader is called "Hokage," literally "Fire shadow" cause it's in the Land of Fire). His father, unbeknownst to Naruto, was actually the previous Hokage and died alongside Naruto's mother protecting the village from a giant nine-tailed fox demon; Naruto at the time was a new born, and his parents were forced to seal the demon inside of him. That's why all the townspeople avoid him and are scared of him.

Anyways, after ninjas graduate from ninja school, they get placed into teams of three with a teacher, then they go on missions. You have different ranks; the higher the rank the ninja, the higher the rank of mission they can take. Naruto's "arch-rival," Sasuke, gets put on his team, who also happens to be an orphan and who wants to kill his older brother for revenge for killing his entire clan and their parents. He gets tempted by some bad guys to get stronger so he can defeat his brother, leaves the village, and yeah, that's a whole thing.

Well, they later grow up. It turns out that the nine-tailed fox is actually part of a whole set of "tailed beasts," and an organization called the "Akatsuki" (Sasuke's brother is a part of that btw) is trying to capture all the jinchuuriki (people with tailed beasts sealed inside them) to basically destroy the world. Naruto ends up friending the nine-tailed fox sealed inside him which gives him a shit ton of power and all the ninja nations unite to fight together (the enemy is basically resurrecting all of the dead great ninjas to fight against the world). Then you have lots of epic fighting, Naruto and Sasuke get back together and save the world, and yeah... He does eventually become Hokage too.

There's a lot of stuff about special eyes that are important, especially if your gf is a fan of the Uchiha clan lol. So the Uchiha clan (this includes Sasuke and his brother), they have the "sharingan" and the "mangenkyo sharingan" (just google or look on the narutopedia). Then you have the Hyuuga clan with the "byakugan." And then the "rinnegan" is like the most powerful kind and is very rare. These are all part of "kekkei genkai" or genetic based techniques.

Spoiler: If you wanna see something epic:

Type
    eNTP
    I still want to go through all of Naruto, and do a chronological edit that starts at the beginning with the alien refugee and ends at the end--mostly I want to go through and scrub out all the flashbacks, especially the ones of scenes that occurred in earlier episodes. I think it would cut the running time of the saga down by at least a third without losing anything--and gaining more dramatic irony as you will see history repeat itself rather than that history has repeated itself. My cut would remove pretty much everything with the "nostalgia" filter--which I think might be about half of some of the more egregiously "filler" episodes.

But I would keep all the self-contained side-story episodes.

I'm not sure how to get the young Guy Might/Kakashi storyline coherently interwoven with Obito's storyline though.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    I still want to go through all of Naruto, and do a chronological edit that starts at the beginning with the alien refugee and ends at the end--mostly I want to go through and scrub out all the flashbacks, especially the ones of scenes that occurred in earlier episodes. I think it would cut the running time of the saga down by at least a third without losing anything--and gaining more dramatic irony as you will see history repeat itself rather than that history has repeated itself. My cut would remove pretty much everything with the "nostalgia" filter--which I think might be about half of some of the more egregiously "filler" episodes.

But I would keep all the self-contained side-story episodes.

I'm not sure how to get the young Guy Might/Kakashi storyline coherently interwoven with Obito's storyline though.
    That would be awesome but sounds like it would take a ludicrous amount of time to put together. I want to go back and rewatch all of Naruto at some point, but every time I sit down to rewatch from the beginning, I eventually get busy with life and forget where I left off lol. Not too mention with the overwhelming amount of entertainment available on the internet, it's hard to actually bring myself to rewatch something when there's so much other stuff I haven't even seen yet.

Type
    istj
    Quote Originally Posted by epistemophiliac View Post
    Warning: This is a VAST oversimplification. Like @Hephaestus said, Naruto is an epic and you cannot do it justice with a simple summary. I highly recommend watching it; if it's too many episodes, you can skip some of the filler or just read the manga. I tried to give the bare gist, but still... There's so much missing, and it's been a while since I've seen it. Narutopedia actually has a page for the plot of Naruto if you wanna take a look at that as well.

Spoiler: horribly vast oversimplification
    Setting: A world of ninja nations each with their own ninja village (you can tell where a ninja comes from based on the symbol on their headband).

Who is Naruto?
    An orphan child and outcast from Konohagakure ("Hidden Leaf Village") who's sort of a delinquent, worst in his class, etc. but he's determined to become the leader of his ninja village (for that village, the leader is called "Hokage," literally "Fire shadow" cause it's in the Land of Fire). His father, unbeknownst to Naruto, was actually the previous Hokage and died alongside Naruto's mother protecting the village from a giant nine-tailed fox demon; Naruto at the time was a new born, and his parents were forced to seal the demon inside of him. That's why all the townspeople avoid him and are scared of him.

Anyways, after ninjas graduate from ninja school, they get placed into teams of three with a teacher, then they go on missions. You have different ranks; the higher the rank the ninja, the higher the rank of mission they can take. Naruto's "arch-rival," Sasuke, gets put on his team, who also happens to be an orphan and who wants to kill his older brother for revenge for killing his entire clan and their parents. He gets tempted by some bad guys to get stronger so he can defeat his brother, leaves the village, and yeah, that's a whole thing.

Well, they later grow up. It turns out that the nine-tailed fox is actually part of a whole set of "tailed beasts," and an organization called the "Akatsuki" (Sasuke's brother is a part of that btw) is trying to capture all the jinchuuriki (people with tailed beasts sealed inside them) to basically destroy the world. Naruto ends up friending the nine-tailed fox sealed inside him which gives him a shit ton of power and all the ninja nations unite to fight together (the enemy is basically resurrecting all of the dead great ninjas to fight against the world). Then you have lots of epic fighting, Naruto and Sasuke get back together and save the world, and yeah... He does eventually become Hokage too.

There's a lot of stuff about special eyes that are important, especially if your gf is a fan of the Uchiha clan lol. So the Uchiha clan (this includes Sasuke and his brother), they have the "sharingan" and the "mangenkyo sharingan" (just google or look on the narutopedia). Then you have the Hyuuga clan with the "byakugan." And then the "rinnegan" is like the most powerful kind and is very rare. These are all part of "kekkei genkai" or genetic based techniques.

Spoiler: If you wanna see something epic:

I feel like I owe you money for this

Thank you, I'm rereading it now

Update: my girlfriend appreciates you too for explaining

Ok she just told me naruto is like 200 episodes and naruto shippuden is like double that. Yeah that's a hell of a lot of episodes I cant possibly ever watch that many

Type
    istj

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    I feel like I owe you money for this

Thank you, I'm rereading it now

Update: my girlfriend appreciates you too for explaining

Ok she just told me naruto is like 200 episodes and naruto shippuden is like double that. Yeah that's a hell of a lot of episodes I cant possibly ever watch that many
    No problem!

The episodes are only like 20 minutes long so compared to your average 45~60 min show, you could cut that number down to half or a third. It's still a lot, but I think it's worth the watch XD
    The Brain—is wider than the Sky—
    For—put them side by side—
    The one the other will contain
    With ease—and You—beside—
    The Brain is deeper than the sea—
    For—hold them—Blue to Blue—
    The one the other will absorb—
    As Sponges—Buckets—do—
    The Brain is just the weight of God—
    For—Heft them—Pound for Pound—
    And they will differ—if they do—
    As Syllable from Sound