Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Summarize Naruto

Type
    eNTP
    This got me rewatching Naruto, and now that summary is really looking threadbare. If the story is a tapestry, that summary is the shipping label on the box the loom came in.

It has the interwoven coming of age stories of 12 children. And half a dozen or so adults. And two half breed aliens--but that happens long before Naruto is born.

Lemme tell you about one of 'em. I get the sense Rock Lee is underrated, but it might just be because he's written to be. But if you look past the deliberate dorkiness of his Groucho eyebrows, bob haircut and hunter green jumpsuit--he's a dork to people who think permanent bandages look cool--it's a very interesting character.

Imagine you are a child wizard, in world full of wizards, and go to a wizard school where they teach cool wizard shit, mostly aimed at killing other wizards before they kill you. Or after. Both ways are important.

Now imagine you are definitely a wizard, but, you can only cast spells on yourself.

Wait, it gets worse. You can't cast just any spell on yourself. You can only cast Steroids, Meth, and PCP. The last one has a high mortality rate. Your ultimate technique is to OD cast them all at once.

It gets worse.

To be able to cast them, you have to work out all the fucking time.

And you're still a lean hardgainer. All the power, none of the mass.

Fortunately being a wizard, your magic helps. You still get to do all the superhuman wizard shit, just nothing that happens outside your own skin.

Somehow, he's not an asshole. He's the Neville Longbottom; minus the trauma. Maybe. I don't think they ever show his parents.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    I wish anime wasn't such overly-padded shit. Every episode is packed full of as much nothing as they can get away with, pulling every trick in the book. Frequent flashbacks, long periods of absolutely nothing happening to "set the mood", lengthy explanations of everything that happens as its happening, and cutting to every single character having their own reaction to every single event in a fight...

Most anime could be done in about half the episodes; but the padding is inextricably woven in, poisoning the well forever.

In particular, One Piece is one of the greatest comics of all time, but I can't recommend the animated adaptation to anyone.

the way TV broadcasts are handled in Japan... Basically, there are no reruns ever - if your show is slotted for Wednesday at 7 PM, you'd better have a new episode ready by Wednesday at 7 PM. This applies year-round, so it's not like they have the summer to broadcast reruns while making new episodes.
    Japanese broadcasters don't make as much money from advertiser's as US broadcasters. Those time slots are purchased by the anime production company who in turn get their money via box sales and product licensing. So showing reruns of old anime isn't really an option.
    Last edited by Ishaad T. Cock; 09-06-2019 at 04:23 PM.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishaad T. Cock View Post
    In particular, One Piece is one of the greatest comics of all time, but I can't recommend the animated adaptation to anyone.
    Heresy. The One Piece anime has some of the best WTF filler of all time.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    That arc in particular actually had some of the worst filler episodes I've ever seen.

The Foxy Pirates arc in general isn't anime-only filler though, in case you didn't know.

On the other hand, the G-8 arc that comes directly before it was filler, but actually one of the best filler arcs in anime.
    Last edited by Ishaad T. Cock; 09-06-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Type
    INFP
    That arc in particular actually had some of the worst filler episodes I've ever seen.
    As you consider G-8 one of the best, it doesn't surprise me. Long Ring Long Island was an attempt at pure comedy, the "hot springs" episode(s) as my group has coined them, that shonen sometimes have as a breaks in drama. If you're the type who needs the edge sharp all the time, Foxy's introductory arc doesn't land well.

The Foxy Pirates arc in general isn't anime-only filler though, in case you didn't know.
    You did say anime, and a lot of the Long Ring Long Road arc in the anime was filler. But the anime does give Foxy and his crew voice, even if it's stretches the jokes too long.

On the other hand, the G-8 arc that comes directly before it was filler, but actually one of the best filler arcs in anime.
    All I remember of G-8 was it being a slog (at the time) that felt like filler.

Type
    INTP
    I meant specifically the shitty roller-skating/dodgeball/whatever episodes. Those were ass.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post

Type
    eNTP
    I think it's odd to complain about filler and stretch in anime vs manga, because manga is full of filler and stretching techniques too. Especially modern manga being made on a computer, because it gives access to easy reuse with scaling, transform, and filters. Sometimes they drag out arcs so long it kills the story completely. It's just easier to breeze past it because in manga you control the pace at which you read the story, but in an anime, the pace is set for you and we don't have good controls for adjusting that.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    istj
    I'm 11 episodes in and so far think Sakura is useless, but hoping she'll develop into a better character

Kakashi is my favorite of course, then the Hokage

Naruto keeps saying Believe it! And I love that

Sasuke reminds me of Heph

Gah the captions dont match the words on Netflix

Ahhh shit now I'm crying cuz Sakura gave that little kid some food

Fkn Naruto said Believe it again. Is that a loose translation for something in Japanese for like "forreal"

Dattebayo

Ah fuck who's cutting onions?!?!

Please tell me I'm not about to cry throughout this whole show
    Last edited by roki; 09-16-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    Ah fuck who's cutting onions?!?!

Please tell me I'm not about to cry throughout this whole show
    Spoiler: ...
    Probably
    The Brain—is wider than the Sky—
    For—put them side by side—
    The one the other will contain
    With ease—and You—beside—
    The Brain is deeper than the sea—