Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Laptop Rec

Type
    INTP
    Win 7 End of life is January 2020, meaning no more updates including security updates.

1366x768 is also gonna suck if you wanna edit video on it. Refurbished is also hit or miss with battery life, usually miss I think.

The model I linked has an IPS panel which means much better looking screen and better viewing angles. Thinkpads are also modular so you can buy and carry extra batteries on long trips. And they are known for good keyboards. If this is gonna be your primary work machine, I would spend a little bit more and get something new at least. Pretty much anything new from a known brand (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS) that costs more than $500 should meet your needs. If you want to go $1200 you could get something compact as well, which can be nice. Look for an IPS display, look for an SSD (or NVME M.2 if it's really nice), look for reviews talking about the keyboard/touchpad. Just buy it through Amazon so that if you have second thoughts or there are problems, you can return it easily. I'm sure it's the same with Newegg and a lot of other sites but I just know I've had a lot of good experiences returning things easily with Amazon.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Was that by personal choice? I know that's the fav or the IT world but one of the reasons I'm getting a new comp now is because one of my main software is no long going to be supported for Windows 8. I don't want 10 but at this point don't feel I have a choice. If I get a refurb will I have to pay to have a new ops installed?
    I'd suggest Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 if you haven't bought one yet. Touch screen, 256GB SSD, 8GB Memory and Corei5 (based on your budget range).

I bought mine at Best Buy about 3 months ago. I have no complaints. I paid >$1000 after tax + Office 365.

Type
    INTP
    What browser should I use for new said computer? I know I'll have Chrome on there and use it sometimes, if just for ease in getting stuff to my phone, but is Firefox the better way to go?

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    What browser should I use for new said computer? I know I'll have Chrome on there and use it sometimes, if just for ease in getting stuff to my phone, but is Firefox the better way to go?
    This should probably be its own thread as the browser wars are still raging.
    Recently, we see Opera giving away free VPN at the flick of a switch (or at least, a proxy server with TLS) piratebay anyone?

Then there's the functionality and speed at processing large pages with media heavy content, that's chrome. Try setting firefox or other browsers to 100+ posts per page and open the what we're listing to page on here and time how long the last embedded video takes to appear. It's like it only has 5 threads.

Then there's privacy, consider duck duck go - a plugin on Chrome and a mobile browser.

Short answer, I'd consider chrome, but also with plugins and VPN

Type
    INTP
    If you are happy with Chrome, stick with it. I don't think one browser vs another is all that. It's not like there is a holy grail of browsers out there.

Privacy is a whole other ball of wax. I don't really care about it from a marketing standpoint (98% of the issue), but if I am engaging in some dubious activities that might constitute copyright violations, it is a nice to have. I don't want people stealing my credit card info and the like either. But that doesn't seem to happen if I just use common sense so I guess I don't really need a VPN.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    fI don't want people stealing my credit card info and the like either. But that doesn't seem to happen if I just use common sense so I guess I don't really need a VPN.
    Right, and a VPN doesn’t even really help with that either unless you’re entering your info into an unsecured site (HTTP instead of HTTPS) on public wifi. And even then, there’s always the chance that whoever is running the VPN is doing the same thing and stealing your info.

Type
    INTP
    Firefox allows noscript and uBlock Origin plugins, Google decided to disallow them altogether. As popular browsers go, FF does better to respect privacy. It performs well enough.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    I got Chrome and Firefox when I started with my new computer a couple months ago. I actually intended to use Chrome (actually Brave... actually Gab Dissenter, but for these purposes we'll just say Chrome) but I found myself opening Firefox more and not using Chrome like I meant to. So now I almost always use Firefox.

Extensions:
    -Duckduckgo, of course. Except sometimes Google results are better, but for most purposes DDG is fine.
    -NoScript - can be annoying because it shuts down a ton of websites and you have to enable each element, but it makes it fairly easy for the security it provides I guess.
    -microblock
    -adblockplus, yeah I run 2 of them, what the hell
    -privacybadger
    -https everywhere
    -lastpass

Also use VPN that I pay $100 a year for... IVPN, apparently that's the best.

Also use Veracrypt. I was on a security kick this summer lol. But it's good to know that even the FBI or whatever will never know my secrets. What secrets? Well, I've kept a journal for like 25 years that I never wrote with the intention of anyone reading. That sort of thing.