Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Veganism

INFj-Ne (EII) / 9w1 sourpatchkid!'s Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    I was vegan and got cancer anyway.
    that is unfortunate, sorry to hear about that.

I did notice a big difference from eating only whole foods.
    probably the reason my transition was so (relatively) smooth. i had already been limiting my animal products to high-quality chicken and eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I tried it in my 20s but it's too much work and stress trying to figure out what's in every little thing.
    i don't do the whole vegan purist thing either; animal products are ubiquitous in this society anyway.

i'm currently working through some snacks and nutritional powders i had stored away that contain traces of cow's milk. i prefer not to call myself a "vegan" for this reason; suffice to say that i follow an overwhelmingly vegan diet.
    Last edited by sourpatchkid!; 09-05-2019 at 01:34 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I would make a terrible vegan. I don't do well without regular protein and I don't digest beans very well. I do eat a lot of fruits and veggies though and try to avoid too much processed food.

Type
    xNxx
    I did it once in my 20s for about two months and was none too happy, went back to being a vegetarian. Now I’m Omni yet again but I’m ever trying to reduce my consumption for environmental reasons. Red meat about once a week, but poultry and fish almost every day at the moment.

Type
    INFP
    I take my bike commuting and lack of children as environmental carte blanche to eat whatever dead farm animal I want. Nothing I injest makes me feel better than red meat now and then. I eat cheese every day.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

I eat mostly vegetarian, some seafood, rarely anything else (a bit of turkey at Thanksgiving, a special meal out). However, when I have tried to make a transition to cooking more vegan meals, the challenge has been that this often means more processed foods (in part because I haven't had enough time to cook vegan meals from scratch). While I love processed things for about 5 minutes, overall I feel worse with this sort of eating. If I can eat non-processed vegan that doesn't taste like weird substitutions, I'm very happy to.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    I eat mostly vegetarian, some seafood, rarely anything else (a bit of turkey at Thanksgiving, a special meal out). However, when I have tried to make a transition to cooking more vegan meals, the challenge has been that this often means more processed foods (in part because I haven't had enough time to cook vegan meals from scratch). While I love processed things for about 5 minutes, overall I feel worse with this sort of eating. If I can eat non-processed vegan that doesn't taste like weird substitutions, I'm very happy to.
    What in the world are you cooking? Soy burgers?

Type
    INTP
    What does a vegan meal plan look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    I knew a vegan in college that ate nothing but junk food (candy, chips and the like). She always seemed depressed. I guess It seems like if you’re vegan for ethical rather than health reasons, it’d be hard to avoid that pitfalls.

Type
    INTP
    I think that the whole conquest of veganism in this day and age is precisely a new universe of processed foods. When you go to a vegan market it's not like they're selling produce. It's all about things that look and taste like other things but actually have no animal products in them. Highly processed foods.

I'd have probably loved that when I was a vegetarian in the old days - the most you could get back then was a soy burger - but now I eat mostly whole foods and I'm not looking to change that.

My meal plan (only counting dinners) boils down to 2 days of fish, 2 days of chicken, 2 days of beef (or pork), 1 day of pizza, and 1 day of whatever (supposedly legumes but I rarely remember to soak them the night before). I don't do vegetarian days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    What does a vegan meal plan look like?
    For me,

Breakfast: refrigerator oats made with soymilk + coffee with soymilk, or a protein shake if I forgot to make oats the night before.

Lunch: stew, indian food, salads, or leftovers, + a soy yogurt if I think I need a little extra protein or calcium, and some fruit. The salad would contain a legume. This week it's fresh peas, but usually it's lentils.

Dinner: tofu stir-fry + rice, tempeh and green beans with chili sauce + rice, taco salads, quinoa bowls (with beans and veggies), lentil tacos, and a favorite dinner of mine is a legume + a green + a carb. You can make endless combinations of that. Sometimes rhinosaur will make pasta with a lentil marinara sauce. We will also keep veggie burgers and buns on hand for when we're too lazy to cook, and lately we've been eating beyond sausages which I classify as crap food but they're easy and tasty. This keeps us from going out and getting a lousy, less healthy, more expensive meal. We also eat fish at least once a week, either as fish tacos or with greens and a carb.

I try to balance my meals so that if I'm not getting enough of something at lunch, I make up for it at dinner and if I don't get enough of something one day, I will try to get extra the next. I specifically pay attention to calcium, protein, green, and general veggie intake. I read labels on everything when I buy groceries.