Thread: Would they test gender in a urine sample for workman's comp claims?

Type
    istj

Would they test gender in a urine sample for workman's comp claims?

I wanted to make a thread for this question that might not deserve its own thread just for anyone Googling this in the future

The situation is that if a male needed to pass his incident report drug test, could he get away with using a woman's urine (she is neither pregnant nor menstruating)?

No because that'd be transphobic

Hair follicle maybe csi n all
    abstractionist

Type
    INTP
    I don't think so. From what I understand while it is possible to test for gender in a urine test, it's difficult and not usually done. Usually, they just test for drugs if that is what they are worried about, or steroids if that is what they are after. Maybe a steroid urine test would catch opposite gender urine, but I don't think a drug test would.

Type
    INTP
    Yeah, pretty sure that'd be unethical for them to test for. The point of those tests is to rule out prohibited drugs as a factor in the case, not to engage in a full spectrum analysis of the individual's health status.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Yeah, pretty sure that'd be unethical for them to test for. The point of those tests is to rule out prohibited drugs as a factor in the case, not to engage in a full spectrum analysis of the individual's health status.
    They do various tests to confirm the urine is a valid sample, so how would testing epithelial cells shed in the urine to confirm gender be unethical?
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    They do various tests to confirm the urine is a valid sample, so how would testing epithelial cells shed in the urine to confirm gender be unethical?
    Well, off the top of my head, it just doesn't seem like a high potential to catch someone cheating that way. AFAIK, it's not a very fast test, either. Generally these sorts of tests are expensive, too...so there'd have to be a good reason for them to screen for that particular thing...which would mean that they'd have to have a separate testing protocol for males who pee and for females who pee...so that they don't end up with too many false-positives for wrong-gendered pee.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    Well, off the top of my head, it just doesn't seem like a high potential to catch someone cheating that way. AFAIK, it's not a very fast test, either. Generally these sorts of tests are expensive, too...so there'd have to be a good reason for them to screen for that particular thing...which would mean that they'd have to have a separate testing protocol for males who pee and for females who pee...so that they don't end up with too many false-positives for wrong-gendered pee.
    I agree with most of these reasons, but I don't think any of them have anything to do with ethics. But your first and last reason are bunk.

The existence of this thread demonstrates probable cause. It's obviously something people do, and catching substituted urine is one of the biggest concerns in urinalysis. Gender is a pretty good net for finding proxy urine, because it will work even if they used a fake dong to defeat a requirement to observe the collection.

The last reason is a bit silly. The only difference in protocol would be whether or not the test was supposed to be positive. If you test all samples for maleness, then if the specimen donor was male you expect a positive result. If the donor was female you expect a negative. Same test for both. If there is an unexpected outcome, you do a confirmatory test, same as they do if you test positive for a substance.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    So clearly, rocki needs to use the wizzinator while being supervised giving the sample. Checkmate atheists...

Type
    INTP
    Just buy synthetic urine. There are several reputable brands that are known to be effective. QuickFix is the big one I think. It's like $40.