Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you ward off a full blown anxiety attack?

Type
    ISFP

How do you ward off a full blown anxiety attack?

For me I'll pace around saying "I'm not gonna die from this" in my head, and if I'm stationary I'll jam something into my leg repeatedly

What else works?

Type
    INTP
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTP
    Exercise, diet, yoga or some shit, CBT
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Exercise, diet, yoga or some shit, CBT
    That's proactive stuff

CBT worked for me that's why I stab myself in the legs

Type
    INFP
    Tough one. If I'm stuck in an elevator or a train decides to stop in a tunnel, there's not really much anyone can do for me. I feel the panic and I close my eyes and try to imagine / fantasize I am not where I am but I am somewhere in a big open space and I try to remind myself to take deep breaths and remind myself this will be over soon and try to think of something else.

Other anxiety attacks, I seem to be unable to distinguish from severe stress. So, I'll be on edge, very on edge with my throat tight and worried that someone is going to say something horrible or do something horrible to make me panic and I'll notice I've started warning everyone like, "roommate, I'm kinda stressed out right now so when you get home please don't talk to me", etc. But this goes on for a while, maybe half an hour or an hour before I realize it's probably more severe than stress and is really a kind of panic attack and then the only solution I have is either drugs (alprazolam pills or promethazin-neuraxpharm drops) or if I have the time I will go take a long warm shower which also seems to calm me down.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by KM View Post
    Tough one. If I'm stuck in an elevator or a train decides to stop in a tunnel, there's not really much anyone can do for me. I feel the panic and I close my eyes and try to imagine / fantasize I am not where I am but I am somewhere in a big open space and I try to remind myself to take deep breaths and remind myself this will be over soon and try to think of something else.

Other anxiety attacks, I seem to be unable to distinguish from severe stress. So, I'll be on edge, very on edge with my throat tight and worried that someone is going to say something horrible or do something horrible to make me panic and I'll notice I've started warning everyone like, "roommate, I'm kinda stressed out right now so when you get home please don't talk to me", etc. But this goes on for a while, maybe half an hour or an hour before I realize it's probably more severe than stress and is really a kind of panic attack and then the only solution I have is either drugs (alprazolam pills or promethazin-neuraxpharm drops) or if I have the time I will go take a long warm shower which also seems to calm me down.

I miss having xanax to knock my heart palpitations off. I hate feeling it flutter

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    That's proactive stuff

CBT worked for me that's why I stab myself in the legs
    Lol ...

I try to envision the cosmos and how irrelevant I, my feelings & my problems are in the grand scheme of things, and remind myself that societal expectations are just that, bullshit.

I sometimes still get them, I have a couple of triggers.

Not as bad it was when they first presented themselves about 10 years ago though... It was that bad, just trying to do something simple was extremely difficult (to find composure).

I'd sweat like crazy and get an extreme tremor, which was just ridiculous and extremely hard to hide, so i'd generally have to hide myself until it passed.

It was that bad, that even when I wasn't panicking mentally, my body would still react. That was when I truly discovered what anxiety/panic attacks was/were.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    ISFP
    Yeah it's funny Sinny cuz before I had my first "heart attack," I thought anxiety was bullshit people just made up or exaggerated. Til I had that "heart attack" of course.

I know exercise will fix this, yet I still wont exercise.

So I'm just reactive now

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    Yeah it's funny Sinny cuz before I had my first "heart attack," I thought anxiety was bullshit people just made up or exaggerated. Til I had that "heart attack" of course.

I know exercise will fix this, yet I still wont exercise.

So I'm just reactive now
    Why don't you get an indoors bike, then you can exercise whilst still sitting on your ass and scrolling reddit, lol.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Why don't you get an indoors bike, then you can exercise whilst still sitting on your ass and scrolling reddit, lol.
    Lmao I literally would just pile clothes onto that bike

That's what happened to both my treadmill and my elliptical