Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you ward off a full blown anxiety attack?

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Deadlifts, squats, sprints. Try to give a fuck about anything after forcing your heart rate to 195.
    Same here. Running makes a huge difference for me. Really like magic.

Edit: just to clarify, I mean for anxiety in general, not panic attacks
    Last edited by Blorg; 09-20-2019 at 04:47 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I like l-theanine for anxiety, but I'm not sure if it can stop an anxiety attack.

Type
    INTP
    I don't have anxiety attacks, this low level shit is bad enough.

Acute anxiety during tests is the pits. It's bad enough when you have time to calm yourself down, but in a test situation you just have to be like "well, I guess I'm doing this with anxiety now! Hope it doesn't kill my score!"

Type
    INtP
    Fortunately I don't get panic attacks.

I am wired to be prone to a general higher-than-average constant background hum of anxiety. Only twice when I was younger I had an intense physical manifestation of anxiety--paresthesia in my lower back and I was completely paralyzed and unable to talk. Both were extremely transient (10-15 seconds) and both occurred when in physical descent (carnival ride and riding in a small passenger plane), so I thought descending had messed with some aspect of my spinal fluid, or some other bullshit reason.

Only in the last two years I have had the same paresthesia in my lower back come on, fortunately without the debilitating paralysis. It lasts approximately 5 seconds or so and it's annoying as fuck. It happens when I have uncertainty and have to make a decision immediately (like I'm semi-lost and have to decide whether to take an exit or not, for example). It even has happened before when I went to go into a gas station and I couldn't decide to let the door shut behind me or hold it open for the next person as they were an uncomfortable distance away. I am pissed that my brain decides to send this zap down my spine--I can just deal with it, it literally lasts seconds rather than minutes, but I do have some concern that I am acquiring more physical anxiety shit as I age.

If it ever gets to the point of being bothersome I'd probably eliminate caffeine, it's probably not helping.

Type
    ISFP
    @oxyjen that sounds horrifying

do your blood relatives experience anything similar

sorry if too personal of a question just wonderin

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    @oxyjen that sounds horrifying

do your blood relatives experience anything similar

sorry if too personal of a question just wonderin
    meh, panic attacks are horrifying. These instances are more on the level of annoying. I am not necessarily even in what I would consider a heightened emotional state, it more feels like my brain temporarily short circuits. But it nonetheless is anxiety because it's caused by the unconscious time crunch/pressure on myself to make the right decision over something stupidly inconsequential. I only get these about twice a month though.

My family is not the type to talk about mental health, emotions, or any "inner life" stuff. I remember telling them about the first ones that were scary, and I was nervous about flying, rides, etc then but I wasn't actively panicking/worried on the ride so I thought it was completely physiological. I told my parents about the physical descent causing me to be paralyzed and they had no idea what I was talking about. They're avoidant types so they didn't ask anything or say much. I was middle school at the oldest and learned way later when I was an adult that those instances were likely anxiety-provoked responses.
    Last edited by oxyjen; 09-20-2019 at 01:30 AM.

Type
    xxxx
    Get it before it starts. Gotta start training your monkey mind everyday.

Type
    ISFP
    knowing too much caffeine gives me anxiety I just drank a big ass coffee from Starbucks anyway now I'm feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack

Must. Do. Something

How the hell do people do meth... beyond me

Oatmeal and water are helping, or it's just in my head

God how do people even do coke
    Last edited by rokki balbotox; 09-26-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Type
    ISTP
    if you wanna stop a panic attack in its tracks then I wonder if there's a simple solution? perhaps something like a small device that releases a dispersion of gas that short circuits the dendritic communication network causing a temporary disorientation from the disruptive stimulus long enough to reset.

oh wait, that's a whippet. *puts hands on waist and pantomimes humping the air to classic rock song "Whip it"*

glad you read my opinion and I'm glad to share it.

Type
    ISTP
    anxiolytic or depressant with an instantaneous delivery system.