Thread: If you know in advance you’re going to be under a lot of pressure

Type
    INFP

If you know in advance you’re going to be under a lot of pressure

What are some things you can do to brace yourself or make yourself stronger in advance so you can handle it better?

Real life example: I can’t deal with stress and pressure any more. I burn out, freak out, break down crying, stop functioning.

But I was only supposed to be taking 30 credit points this semester and a prof begged me to take his class, which is a bundle of a 15-point design class, and a 5-point programming class and a 5-point electronics class. Now I’m taking my mandatory 30-point semester, all required classes for the degree because I am in my second semester and the first year all your basic classes are selected for you and mandatory to open the gate to allow you to take upper semester classes. So, it’s a fucking honor to do these extra three classes. For some reason they believe in me but I am terrified I will fail once all the stress accumulates. I already told the programming prof my basic classes take priority because they are mandatory and I need to get them over and done with and behind me. I also told my programming prof I can only attend the first half of the semester because the second half conflicts with one of my basic classes and it would be unfair to ask for credit if I am not there during the second half and he said not to worry, he believes I will be programming a bunch anyways for the design class and he would be ok with me missing the second half and would give me credit for the class anyways. So, I’m really blessed.

I just got to find a way to prepare for all the stress coming towards me since dropping the basic classes or moving them to another year is not an option. I either try to make it through the additional drone design, drone programming and drone building classes or I drop out of the drone classes when it’s suddenly too much.

Ideas?

I thought about adding a neck massage once per week, taking iron supplements (I get low when stressed out), Vitamin C for strengthening the immune system, magnesium citrate for the nerves, lifting weights at the gym on the weekends and regularly visiting a tanning bed. If I can find a routine for classes,
    home work and lots of self-care I don’t normally do, maybe I will be able to deal with the stress better.

I guess I will disappear from here again, but y’all are used to that. (Unless maybe using the forum as a journal as a stress-reduction technique? Writing is a form of meditation.)
    Last edited by KM; 09-26-2019 at 10:01 PM. Reason: My English sucks.

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    ISFP
    That's a lot of stuff you've got going on. I like your focus on self care as your own suggestions. Also finding a routine. You'll do great. Believe it!

Type
    INTJ
    At breaking point you will simply stop caring and it sounds like you aren't there yet, so keep going. It won't kill you, it will just make you stronger.
    Sounds like you over think things. Just be competent.
    Sabor original

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    That's a lot of stuff you've got going on. I like your focus on self care as your own suggestions. Also finding a routine. You'll do great. Believe it!
    Thanks!

"
    'I cannot play with you,' the fox said. 'I am not tamed.'" - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Le Petit Prince (1943)

REMINDER TO SELF WHEN DEALING WITH THE RABBIT WARRIOR: "All warfare is based on deception." - Sun Tzu,
    The Art of War

Type
    INTP
    It's been a long time since I last put myself under a lot of pressure, 2015 actually.

I'd not long moved into my own flat, I was in a decent job with plenty of responsibilities and training, I was doing my Uni course around full time work.. and then my mom became seriously ill (through alcoholism) and the tipping point came when she nearly died and I thought her funeral was next. I was having to spend a lot of time going to hospital from work (as her next of kin), and I just couldn't manage. I first quit my Uni course (completely stupidly, I was coming to the end of the year), and then I quit my job, then I gave up my flat. All completely stupid moves, logically. But I just didn't have the mental capacity with the stress and thought of losing my mother - which would have made me a young orphan.

My advice is to take deep breaths, do your plan, remember to meditate as it helps to slow time down. Make sure you prioritise sleep.

If you're that worried, just drop the extra classes. Maybe it's better to do a really good job of the mandatory stuff, rather than spread yourself thin across all the stuff?
    When tyranny becomes law
    Rebellion becomes duty.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    this sounds familiar. are you in design school too?

the lifestyle fucking sucks and it can feel near impossible to take care of yourself and all your life's responsibilities, and i think your profs know that realistically, but it sounds like they're saying they believe in you and your ability.

i struggle so hard with this and over the past year following a stress-induced breakdown i'm starting to let myself be imperfect and not hide my flimsy-ass seams barely holding me together at times, and i'm not apologizing for it, cuz i already had a breakdown so it's not getting any worse, and i don't give a shit anymore.

to avoid burnout, i recommend prioritizing your health (and this includes adequate rest and relaxation), setting realistic limits for yourself, learning how to say no (if you're like me), and communicating with your profs if your health is really taking a hit.

don't feel bad for asking for help, or taking a day off, or missing a deadline. feeling bad is just punishing yourself twice.

basically do everything to avoid burnout cuz burnout or breakdown is very "expensive" in all ways, in terms of money spent for recovery if you have to see health professionals, time spent and energy spent. i don't think it makes you stronger unless you can afford to take time off and have a full, thorough recovery. it really is a lot of trouble and takes years off your life. (please, jigglypuff from two years ago, listen to jigglypuff now.)

it sounds like you're doing the self-care well, though. enough sleep, good nutrition, exercise, taking your vitamins, relaxation/massage is really good. i would add regular low-maintenance socializing.

if you use this place to dump your stress thoughts, you won't be alone.
    i sneeze like a grandpa.