Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inability to sustain a long-term relationship

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pan_Sonic View Post
    Do you move onto other women? Stay together and not address it? Break up and go single...?
    Usually when I get out of a relationship I'll defragment for a while then start dating casually again and sometimes land in another relationship, but they never last too long.

Today I wanted to break up with my girlfriend (over her finances), but didn't when usually I would have

Type
    INTP
    What's wrong with her finances?
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    I guess maybe a covert narcissist
    Or maybe you don't have a mental disorder and those relationships weren't right for you.

Madrigal said it perfectly in her first post:

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Uhhh I think this would only be a probelm if you actually want to remain in these relationships, but they keep ending. I know people who complain about that a lot. However, if you're having a series of short relationships because you simply don't want to stay in them any longer, I don't know how that is a personality defect.
    I too am confused about why you see this as an indicator of a personality disorder. It could just as easily be an indicator of confidence and self worth because you're serious about not wasting time in bad relationships.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    if it's bothering you, then seeing a professional wouldn't hurt. it doesn't have to be as serious as a personality disorder to be "something."

i'm generally supportive of going to therapy cuz i don't think most people are as insightful as they think they are. smart people can rationalize the stupidest of their behaviors without skipping a beat. defense mechanisms develop for a reason and may be so automatic you're not even aware it's not "your personality." (of course, i'm talking about myself.)

i relate to impulsively wanting to break up and i actually experience that on a regular basis, but after figuring out where that was coming from for me, that urge holds way less power now.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i relate to impulsively wanting to break up and i actually experience that on a regular basis, but after figuring out where that was coming from for me, that urge holds way less power now.
    Well, howd you figure out where that urge was coming from?

Type
    INXj
    Usually when I get out of a relationship I'll defragment for a while then start dating casually again and sometimes land in another relationship, but they never last too long.

Today I wanted to break up with my girlfriend (over her finances), but didn't when usually I would have
    What caused the break up usually? How many relationships you have had in the past 5 years?

Type
    eNTP
    I've been considering telling him that Michael and I are still together when he asks about my relationships to avoid the inability to sustain relationships shit
    This smells like a stupid lie--as in more energy than it's worth, and if/when uncovered, the consequences will be much worse than just saying you broke up with him.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    How many relationships you have had in the past 5 years?
    Is there a right answer to this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    ISFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    This smells like a stupid lie--as in more energy than it's worth, and if/when uncovered, the consequences will be much worse than just saying you broke up with him.
    I guess so

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    What caused the break up usually? How many relationships you have had in the past 5 years?
    Shit, four or five. All except for my kids dad they broke up with me for what I will call me emasculating them, (I am historically attracted to girly men so it doesnt help), and my kid's dad purposely sabotaged our relationship (lots of legal drama in that one)
    Last edited by roki; 10-09-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Type
    INTP
    You do not have a personality disorder. Especially not for someone living in Florida.

I, too, have emasculated many men. I never changed. You just need to find one who isn't so easy to emasculate.