Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Obsolete Technology That You Miss

Type
    INTP
    landlines. I like the freedom of not being available and of having a justifiable reason to have missed calls/messages for an extended amount of time.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    eNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    landlines. I like the freedom of not being available and of having a justifiable reason to have missed calls/messages for an extended amount of time.
    If you gave people the right to demand you have a phone on you at all times... take it back and leave your phone behind when you don't want interruptions or distractions. I think people really ought to leave their phones home more often.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    The problem for me isn't that I'm required to have it. It's a psychological thing where there isn't a place to formally hang it up...it just stays in my pocket. It's convenient to be able to access things when *I* want, too.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Vinyl records. Actually just watching youtube music videos is better, but screwing around with a record had its charms too.

I don't miss landlines. There was no way to prevent telemarketers from interrupting your life at all hours. At least you can preview who's calling on the cell phone.

Type
    eNTP
    The problem for me isn't that I'm required to have it. It's a psychological thing where there isn't a place to formally hang it up...it just stays in my pocket. It's convenient to be able to access things when *I* want, too.
    That's a fixable problem. Make a space for it to be. I have a place where I can empty my pockets when I get home. I also go to that place when I'm getting ready to leave the house to decide what I'm putting in my pockets for that trip.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    Vinyl records. Actually just watching youtube music videos is better, but screwing around with a record had its charms too.

I don't miss landlines. There was no way to prevent telemarketers from interrupting your life at all hours. At least you can preview who's calling on the cell phone.
    I have caller ID on my landline. Also, I never got many calls from telemarketers...but I registered many years ago on some government website to be put on a do not call list for that sort of thing...it's worked quite well.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    That's a fixable problem. Make a space for it to be. I have a place where I can empty my pockets when I get home. I also go to that place when I'm getting ready to leave the house to decide what I'm putting in my pockets for that trip.
    Ugh, okay fine, screw landlines, there are solutions to all my problems!

Dude, I'm trying to pine over a pre-smartphone era here, lol. I do actually do the same thing as you, although not as consistently as I should. I just don't like having to have a whole sub-routine for the darn thing.

Type
    INTP

Dude, I'm trying to pine over a pre-smartphone era here, lol. I do actually do the same thing as you, although not as consistently as I should. I just don't like having to have a whole sub-routine for the darn thing.
    Right you are. Landlines when i was a kid were a okay.

Type
    eNTP

Gotcha. And I understand.