Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Global wave of anti-govt protests

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    yeah please check in when you can. thanks for the update. glad you’re safe.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Chile seems like "this is bullshit, let's party and fuck it up!"
    It's funny you should notice that because I always wonder whether outside observers realize how much euphoria there is on the streets despite all the repression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    South American's doing what they do it seems. This whole approach of protests and chaos never seems to end well, but it seems to be the go to pattern of behavior.

Morales seems like a sketchy dude, what with his unconstitutional running for another term after he lost a referendum to allow him to do so. It certainly raises some eyebrows that he might fix the election results. Regardless, a coup is certainly not the way to go. Especially one led by the military and the religious right (a terrifying combo if there ever was one).

There should have just been another election with international oversight (ideally with Morales properly banned from running and with another MAS candidate). But what's done is done. Chaos ensues.

Hopefully, Chile calms down before the same shit happens.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    South American's doing what they do it seems.
    USA is also doing what they do.

Morales seems like a sketchy dude, what with his unconstitutional running for another term after he lost a referendum to allow him to do so.
    Yep, he done fucked up. However, aside from the Electoral Tribunal letting him run again (he had lost the referendum 49/51), the opposition basically validated the election by participating in it. So the fairness of his reelection is a moot point after that.

He agreed to hold the elections again after the OAS statements, but it was clear to anyone he would win again. A 10+ point margin cannot be reverted. So the attacks by the right only escalated, and he resigned two days later (the day the military urged him to do so). The bottom line is that the right saw a moment they had been waiting for for a very long time, and seized it.

Right now, international journalists have been all but totally expelled from Bolivia. The new govt is threatening any journalists who call this a coup d'état with arrest for sedition. The journalists that remain are at high risk. There are said to be around 25 dead in the first week of the coup.

Today I saw a video claiming a sector of the army has defected from the coup and is supporting the uprising. I do not know if it's true, I just saw a march by this supposed sector. It's going to be very hard to get any reliable information out of Bolivia but the situation is very volatile and the coup has not yet managed to consolidate itself.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    USA is also doing what they do.
    Hmm. Well maybe. It is not the like the USA does not have a poor track record in this regard. However, it also seems "it's the fault of foreign interference from the US" is the go to excuse for any government whose own policies have been self destructive. An outsider scapegoat is always very convenient.

Yep, he done fucked up. However, aside from the Electoral Tribunal letting him run again (he had lost the referendum 49/51), the opposition basically validated the election by participating in it. So the fairness of his reelection is a moot point after that.
    I would say the legitimacy of him running in the election is moot, but if he did meddle in the results, that would still be illegitimate.

I understand you are willing to accept the election results were on the up and up. I have no idea myself, but gaming the system to allow his candidacy shows a certain willingness (desperation?) to hang onto power. So who knows if he stopped there?

Regardless, a military coup is completely unacceptable. I just want to be clear I am not condoning that.

Type
    INTP
    The protests in Chile are ongoing, mostly on Fridays. Water cannons have switched to squirting water with caustic soda in it.

Last Friday there were many people at the square asking around for cream because their skin burned. I was kinda terrified.