Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco-friendliness in the military

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Eco-friendliness in the military

I am very concerned about this.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Well it would help if your navy tidied up a bit....

Type
    INTP
    It's a bit of an oxymoron no?

Type
    INTP
    No, not really. Good guerrilla warfare in the wild would be implicitly eco-friendly in the sense of not wanting to leave a trace. It wouldn't be agriculture friendly, but that's a whole different concern.

The most eco-friendly military action is probably to well executed assassination. Not the sloppy sort that uses explosives, rifles, or contaminating toxins, but the clean sort: garrotes, stabbing, bio-degradable toxins with short half life, inducing sepsis, curare, electrocution (from eco-friendly sourced electricity), deadfall traps, trapping in a well planned forest fire, fed to carnivores, bludgeoning, drowning, kicking off a cliff--you know, the good old fashioned stuff from when assassination was something people really took pride in. Not that we'll likely ever see proper artistry like that again.

Now, I realize a person might be tempted to argue that a truly artful assassination is one that goes undetected. This is foolish because it defeats the purpose of an assassination. It's short sighted and naive to think the purpose of an assassination is to kill someone. Truthfully, the corpse is just a byproduct of the assassination, it isn't the end goal and more than a hammer is the end goal in constructing a house. If the end goal is just to kill someone, that's merely murder, not an assassination.

A proper assassination averts war by accomplishing what that war would hope to achieve. To be effective, an assassination must be known to be an assassination, or it won't be able to flower and blossom. A good assassination clearly communicates to whoever the successor is that their only defense is to be substantially better person than their predecessor. It also sends this message in vivid detail to everyone surrounding the deceased. An artful assassination is very... motivational.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Not sure what OP means - I've seen articles here and there in green blogs/news sites about alternate energy sources for military units. Fuel convoys across the Khyber Pass through unfriendly territory exposes the logistical tail and makes the whole operation very expensive.

Oh wait, wtf, there is no way that is what you are talking about.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Uh, I mean, laugh it up, but the US military is one of the world's huger institutions and offhand I have to assume it has quite an ecological footprint unto itself.

I'm not sure what ever came of this, but a few years ago the US Navy was installing these high-energy, high-frequency sonar emitters all over the west coast that were I guess supposed to detect submarines at long ranges or something. Because, you know, the people we're at war with have billions of dollars to spend on submarines so it's something we have to worry about.

In any case, turning these things on basically kills anything underwater with sensitive ears (cetaceans, notably) for some multi-hundred-mile radius from each emitter.

But this is totally justifiable because--well, better safe than sorry, I guess. Go America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    The military drives a lot of innovation, including green technology innovation.

Type
    INTP
    Military training grounds are havens for wildlife.

Type
    INTP
    Who knows what Maddy has in her head with this post, but I was thinking more along the lines of the US transporting a bazillion tons of equipment to the middle east, carpet bombing, napalm and agent orange back in Vietnam, that kind of thing. Hardly eco-friendly.

And have you ever seen photos of some of those WW1/2 battlefields? Sometimes you get the feeling there was once a forest based on the few charred remains of trees sticking out of the acres of mud and bomb craters, but it sure isn't a forest any more. Not to mention things like setting the oil fields on fire when Iraq got chased out of Kuwait.

One tends to think eco concerns are not first and foremost on anyones military agenda.

Type
    INTP

The agent orange stuff is too ghastly to post.