Thread: Quit and asked to come back advice

Type
    ISFP

Quit and asked to come back advice

I quit yesterday, but the store manager wants me to come back (not my dept mgr).

What are the chances that he wants me to come back just to have coverage until they can replace me (either fire me outright or cut my hours down considerably)?

Since I'm here, is it reasonable for me to ask my store manager for higher wage, to not be scheduled with my direct manager, and to receive an apology from her?

Any advice will be helpful; I'm trying to consider whether or not I'll be making a fool of myself by going back. Thanks

Type
    INTP
    Ask him what he's going to do to address your concerns. Which apparently are poor treatment by management and being left to drown by yourself instead of getting support. Add whatever else you had issues with to the list. If nothing, then why go back? You can probably get a similarly shitty job somewhere else.

If they drop you without reason, you'll be able to collect unemployment. I don't know what your states laws are but not scheduling someone to the point where you force them to quit has been addressed in a lot of states so that employers can't use that tactic anymore (though if I were to guess I'd guess FL is a state that still allows it).

I see no reason to not go back just because you think they'll fire you once they have a suitable replacement. It sounds to me like they can't afford to fire anyone anyway. But even if you do go back you should try to find a better job. This seems like a dead end.

OTOH, you could ask for your manager's job, since she seems to be doing so poorly that her boss has to intervene.

Type
    ISFP
    Thanks starla, I didn't realize constructive discharge existed. So it's likely I can just return to work, and if I get shat on I can talk to the market manager

I'm thinking of explaining that what she did to my coworker by cutting his hours down to 6 to try to force him to quit (which he did) is constructive discharge, and so is her making my working environment intolerable by abandoning me in a busy deli for almost four hours when there should be at least two people there per policy and common sense. Also being denied breaks and lunch breaks. That sounds right. Florida I don't think has break laws for non-minors, but company policy does

I've also never really understood how unemployment claims work, but it's making sense

Type
    eNTP
    What @starla said. The only thing I have to add is that anecdotally I've worked with people who had a quit and get rehired relationship with our employer.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    Well, I saw this coming... Take back the job till you find a better one, but I'm going to echo your manager "be more assertive", lol.

Let them know this means you have the leverage, not the other way round.

Sound bored with them. Make them ask more than once. Raise your complaints.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    ISFP
    Thanks all for the advice and support. I feel better equipped to handle this tomorrow.

Re: the leverage part. I have it together now to be able to explain what she has done and is currently doing is unethical and a liability to the company.
    The assertive thing, I don't know where to begin with that, just that it makes me uncomfortable and I'd rather let shit build up and explode all at once. Because it seems easier to do that.

My Te-dom elder I previously complained about, but grew close with, enough to be called "sister" gave the dept mgr straight facts on my behalf when she came into work today (in my absence). This makes me feel welcome to come back

--

Going back, and saved my ex coworker whose hours were cut
    Last edited by roki; 11-06-2019 at 12:04 PM.