Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney+

Type
    INXj

Disney+

Is $6.99/mo worth it?

I have kids under 13 so I donít really mind if that means we have a huge selection of family movie/shows to choose from. One new movie every month, maybe?

Your thoughts?
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

Type
    INTP
    I already give Disney more money than I'd care to if I catch a Marvel or Pixar flick. They're too big.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INXj
    This was long overdue.

10+ million people reportedly subscribed on the first day, I wonder if Disney still streams their movies on Netflix. And if this ultimately cripples Netflix.

Disney+ has Disney, Pixar, Marvel and even National Geographic that’s massive. I’m interested to know if they (eventually) offer subscribers premier or same-day viewing as the theatrical release. Now that’s something.

Type
    INTP
    Netflix just signed a multi-year contract with Nickelodeon. They're at approx 60 million subscribers. I think they'll be fine.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Is $6.99/mo worth it?

I have kids under 13 so I don’t really mind if that means we have a huge selection of family movie/shows to choose from. One new movie every month, maybe?

Your thoughts?
    I'd be curious if their entire library would be available now? At least for a promotional period. In the past Disney would only release certain old films, like Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs or 101 Dalmatians, during limited windows. But those were the days of VHS & DVD/blu-ray. They'd also have other license agreements to air product on other networks, which I assume is all but dead at this point. I'd also be curious what of the old Fox produced TV shows would be available? Maybe have NYPD Blue or Lost in Space or MASH?

Anyone know how many devices you can have it on?

I don't foresee getting it any time soon. I'm without HBO, Showtime and Amazon Prime these days and still have stuff on my DVR to watch. I should really put my Netflix on hold for a month. Oh wait, no, I know I'll be watching a few things w/friends coming up. Anyway, I've generally just been going to the movie theater or watching sports. Depending on what I find is on there, maybe in spring, after football season and March Madness subsides, if their 1st qtr numbers are below expectations and they're not charging $10/month at that point I might check it out. I feel like I'm already a de facto Disney + holder now with my AMC A-List membership. Disney has so strong-armed all the theaters to play their movies on the bulk of their screens I never get to see half of what's out there.

Do you have cable or Satellite now? Do you watch any of the Disney channels now on any mobile devices?

Type
    ISFP
    Seven bucks sounds like a fair price. When I was a kid I would've given my arms and legs for this (I think most kids will be very happy; it's like getting a Nintendo Cube, Furby, or tamagotchi back in the day, but far less expensive)

Anyone who might find this relevant: my friend is currently having issues getting Disney+ onto her Samsung smart TV, which is from 2015. She said she put in a ticket for help, and Samsung said they're having issues with Disney+ and their SmartTVs prior to 2016. I think she's going to use an external device to stream it for some period of time

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    Anyone who might find this relevant: my friend is currently having issues getting Disney+ onto her Samsung smart TV, which is from 2015. She said she put in a ticket for help, and Samsung said they're having issues with Disney+ and their SmartTVs prior to 2016. I think she's going to use an external device to stream it for some period of time
    From the 1st of December it probably won't stream Netflix either. The Disney + thing isn't likely to be fixed until sometime in 2020. Glad I just bought a TV and a chromecast.

Type
    INTP
    "Disney+"....

... can fuck right off.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    "Disney+"....

... can fuck right off.

Pretty much how I feel as well.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    "Disney+"....

... can fuck right off.

Ah, Ptah. You're so cute when you pout.

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Netflix just signed a multi-year contract with Nickelodeon. They're at approx 60 million subscribers. I think they'll be fine.
    Complacency isn't a safe place especially in the entertainment industry. Exhibit A: MTV. I don't see any interesting thing to look forward to with the Netflix-Nickelodeon partnership unless they come up with *unique quality content*? Personally, I find Netflix Originals disappointing. I do watch a range of non-English movies, so Netflix has been a winner for me in that department.

With Disney+ bundle deals and partnership with Verizon, I bet Netflix pays someone well just to look at consumer behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    I'd be curious if their entire library would be available now? At least for a promotional period. In the past Disney would only release certain old films, like Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs or 101 Dalmatians, during limited windows. But those were the days of VHS & DVD/blu-ray. They'd also have other license agreements to air product on other networks, which I assume is all but dead at this point. I'd also be curious what of the old Fox produced TV shows would be available? Maybe have NYPD Blue or Lost in Space or MASH?

Anyone know how many devices you can have it on?

I don't foresee getting it any time soon. I'm without HBO, Showtime and Amazon Prime these days and still have stuff on my DVR to watch. I should really put my Netflix on hold for a month. Oh wait, no, I know I'll be watching a few things w/friends coming up. Anyway, I've generally just been going to the movie theater or watching sports. Depending on what I find is on there, maybe in spring, after football season and March Madness subsides, if their 1st qtr numbers are below expectations and they're not charging $10/month at that point I might check it out. I feel like I'm already a de facto Disney + holder now with my AMC A-List membership. Disney has so strong-armed all the theaters to play their movies on the bulk of their screens I never get to see half of what's out there.

Do you have cable or Satellite now? Do you watch any of the Disney channels now on any mobile devices?
    I was of the same thought about Disney Classics but I found they actually have some of them there. I just watched The Lion King and The Little Mermaid with the kiddos this morning. They do not have all them though. They are planning to do a weekly release. I found this article useful.

I don't have cable or satellite. I'm only subscribing to apps I want - so for now it's HBO and Netflix. I'll probably keep Disney+ and ditch HBO. I haven't found any issues with Disney+ yet.