Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: strange social encounters

Type
    INTP

strange social encounters

I had a strange experience at work today. Lately I've been stuck helping people that come into the office because we currently only have a part time person working reception, and my desk happens to be closest to the reception desk. When someone isn't up there, I tend to be the one who has to help people when they come in and ring the bell.

So today this guy comes in and rings the bell at the reception desk so I go out to help him. He proceeds to talk to me for 20 minutes about lots of different topics, including gay marriage, polygamy, haircuts, his mustache, and more. He also asked questions about our services and everything, but I'm thinking that was only because I kept asking him what I could help him with. It seemed like he was lonely or something and just wanted to chat. Or maybe a little crazy and just wanted to chat. I don't know.

It was very odd. I couldn't think of a way to politely ask him to leave.

Anyway, I'm sure other people have had odd interactions like this. Let's hear them.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    So today this guy comes in and rings the bell at the reception desk so I go out to help him. He proceeds to talk to me for 20 minutes about lots of different topics, including gay marriage, polygamy, haircuts, his mustache, and more. He also asked questions about our services and everything, but I'm thinking that was only because I kept asking him what I could help him with. It seemed like he was lonely or something and just wanted to chat. Or maybe a little crazy and just wanted to chat. I don't know.

It was very odd. I couldn't think of a way to politely ask him to leave.
    The guy is obviously a spy.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I couldn't think of a way to politely ask him to leave.
    You: That's very interesting. Where are you going after this? Ok Then, I won't keep you here any longer and besides, I gotta get back to what I was doing. Have fun with your mustache! Bye now!
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    I think I already told this story at the old place, but I had a recent encounter with Madrigal's doorman. One day, I was trying to leave the apartment. I didn't want to intrude on Madrigal, because when I woke up I saw on her blog that she'd had an overnight visitor (the transgender mafia guy). So I got ready and let myself out of the apartment, went into the lobby, and.... couldn't open the door. I had to alert the doorman that I couldn't get out, at which point he starts talking at me in Spanish. I don't understand more than a few words of Spanish, but I kept just indicating that I wanted to leave, but no luck. Eventually he lead me back to the elevator, pressed the button for my floor, and shut the elevator door on me. At this point, I was trapped, because my door knocks weren't waking Madrigal up, and I was locked out. I use wifi to get the words "locked out" (I thought, turns out that I said "blocked out" or something), and headed back down. I indicated that she was sleeping, and that I knocked with no answer and that I was locked out, but he just starts yelling at me instead. Finally he calls Madrigal, and doesn't get an answer. So he goes BACK to the elevator (dragging me along) and manages to wake her up. I stand awkwardly outside as they argue for about 5 minutes, and am finally forced to leave. He wouldn't even let me go back into the apartment, he evicted me from the apartment building. I had no idea what was going on. I thought I wasn't supposed to be there or something and I'd gotten Madrigal in trouble.

It turns out that he was angry because I was making him work, basically. There was no reason to prevent me from leaving the apartment, since he already knew who I was and what floor I was staying on (thus, not a robber).

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    He wouldn't even let me go back into the apartment, he evicted me from the apartment building. I had no idea what was going on. I thought I wasn't supposed to be there or something and I'd gotten Madrigal in trouble.
    You were not forced to leave! I thought you had to go somewhere (like to see that catholic madonna chick) and that's why you were leaving. Anyway, didn't he start being nice and calling the elevator for you after I talked to him? It's like he and I became best friends.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    You were not forced to leave! I thought you had to go somewhere (like to see that catholic madonna chick) and that's why you were leaving. Anyway, didn't he start being nice and calling the elevator for you after I talked to him? It's like he and I became best friends.
    I assumed I was being kicked out permanently by that point for causing so much trouble. But yeah, the next time I came in when he was on duty, he pressed the button my your floor and everything, which I thought was weird.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by latch View Post
    You: That's very interesting. Where are you going after this? Ok Then, I won't keep you here any longer and besides, I gotta get back to what I was doing. Have fun with your mustache! Bye now!
    Yeah, I tried hinting that I needed to get back to work, but the guy wasn't leaving. And I didn't want to just walk away from the reception desk because he seemed a little off or something and I was a little worried that he would just start wandering around the office. I wanted to make sure he actually left.

Type
    INtP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yeah, I tried hinting that I needed to get back to work, but the guy wasn't leaving. And I didn't want to just walk away from the reception desk because he seemed a little off or something and I was a little worried that he would just start wandering around the office. I wanted to make sure he actually left.
    Say, "Cork your yammering leaky talk hole lest I sucker punch you in the throat and dance a little jig on your crotch."

Or

Tranq him and drag his body out... and then kick it!
    Last edited by ~h4ct6al~; 02-06-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    This just in: I'm accepting all friend requests too unless you're a fricken jerk and I can't stand your existence and inane drivel. If that's the case, then I'll accept your friend request so I can keep an eye on your ass unless you don't hold any interest for me; then only the threat of keeping my eye on you stands. feces

Type
    INTP
    I'm capable of being a little more rude. I run into the odd wierdo, but I run out of patience with their babbling. In the case of your guy I would have just cut him off with a What exactly is it you are doing here? inquiry, and sent him packing if he had no legitimate response.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Okay, this happened when I was 19 years old. I was some combination of extremely poor at the time and very bad at managing money.

So, I ran out of money for the month of June around two weeks in and I had to beg for food. Fortunately my mom had paid for my tuition so I could keep going to school, and I was homeless but I was sort of used to it then and a classmate of mine was letting me sleep on the floor at his place.

Now, when you're homeless and most people who know you don't realize how much money you don't have, it's kind of socially awkward to explain how much you need their help. So ... I didn't and I ended up losing a lot of weight. The funny thing about this is that in the USA "too poor to buy food" as a look makes you attractive to people. It's seriously weird.

So I ended up flirting with this girl and she invited me back to her place. She was all like "Can I get you anything?" and my ears perked up. I was all like "Yeah, do you have any food?" She goes "Well, I have these leftover strawberry shortcakes. But I don't have any strawberries or whipped cream ... "

She was too late. I'd already voraciously inhaled two entire cakes and was midchomp through a third one. I was similtaneously eating a cake while picking crumbs off my shirt to make sure I didn't miss a single calorie of that very stale cake. She just looked at me.

I immediately felt embarrassed as hell. I was all like "Umm ... thanks for the cake. I'll just show myself out."

Later, I got called up for a job at a local lab and managed to get my shit together. There were other embarrassing episodes like that one, but that sticks out in my memory because the girl was so clearly worried about me. I think she went from wanting to jump my bones to wanting to feed me like I was a feral cat she was luring inside with a tin of tuna fish. She was all like "Hey I went to McDonalds and they gave me these extra french fries for some reason. You want?"
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.