Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nonhispanic person selling Cuban food

Type
    INtP
    I'm more curious why you're asking. Do you want to start selling Cuban food?

Move to Iowa and be the whitest chick selling Cuban food. It wouldn't even have to be terribly authentic, you'd make a killing, and as long as you avoided a few key college towns, nobody would even care.

Type
    isfp
    I would love to live in Iowa. Nah, gf and I will be doing an ongoing food event (there's already metric fucktons of fried food, our idea is to freshen it up)

Type
    INTP
    I recently learned (thanks to a Guardian docu on YouTube) about American "Food Deserts" and lots of Obese black people.

Apparently Michelle Obama pledged to eradicate Food Deserts in 2017, but that's been screwed since Trump took over.

^ that was supposed to say "scrapped" but "screwed" will do". My thumbs really aren't well adapted to these touch pads. I miss blackberry buttons.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    I would love to live in Iowa. Nah, gf and I will be doing an ongoing food event (there's already metric fucktons of fried food, our idea is to freshen it up)
    My former coworker lived in Florida for a while and he made it sound like the quality/authenticity level of Cuban food there was pretty high. He'd make knock off Cuban sandwiches and say they weren't that good, but I didn't know any better.

The key is would you feel confident serving a plate full of Cuban food to Cubans, whatever ethnicity you are

Type
    INTP
    Thought this NYT column was interesting:

The point is that “cultural appropriation,” as a diagnosis, is decidedly unhelpful. The metaphor suggests that a person of one culture is taking something that belongs to people of another culture, and effectively endorses the imperial regime of intellectual property, one founded not in moral considerations but in economic ones. (Casting culture as intellectual property is neoliberalism at its worst.)

(...) The key question in the use of symbols or regalia associated with another identity group is not: What are my rights of ownership? Rather it’s: Are my actions disrespectful?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    isfp
    I remember one day in my Latinx Lit class a girl was ranting about white people having dreads, and as much as I think most white people look retarded with them, I didn't necessarily agree that it's wrong for them to wear them. Her argument was that they're stealing a hairstyle that doesn't belong to them. Is it disrespectful? She seemed to think it was, on the grounds of theft. She gets to decide whether it's disrespectful or not as she has a stake and me and the white people with dreads don't.

So whoever has a stake gets to determine whether or not something is wrong. It's hard to tell because it's nearly impossible to have a unanimous decision on the side of people who have the stakes.

One of my coworkers at Walmart was a white guy who spoke ebonics. I jokingly asked him if he sounded like that when he was a child, or if he just woke up on day 6 of his puberty and instead of his voice crackling he sounded like a 42 year old black guy. He never answered me, and I'm still curious how he came to speak like that considering he's spent his whole life in a county where over almost half of the population is age 65+ predominantly white people.

I jokingly asked him if he says the n word with a soft a, and he said no, but I didn't believe him.

Black customers didn't seem to question him about it, from my limited view. But I bet someone's called him out on it before, yet he still talks like that.

Will he sound like that at age 70?

My goodlooking friend later had sex with him, and I kept roasting her about fucking Malibu's Most Wanted. How she could be attracted to someone who's so inauthentic, I don't know.
    Last edited by roki; 01-22-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    god's gift

Type
    INTP
    Some southern dialects sound like ebonics, for probably obvious reasons.

Type
    INTJ
    I'm going to use this thread as implied permission to start selling guava empanadas.

Madrigal gave me the recipe. The secret ingredients are chimichurri and dulce de leche.
    I'm the best mayne. I did it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    I'm going to use this thread as implied permission to start selling guava empanadas.

Madrigal gave me the recipe. The secret ingredients are chimichurri and dulce de leche.
    Don't get me started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    xxxx
    American race politics are incoherent horse shit top to bottom anyway, so I don't know. Probably.