Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your experience with vertigo?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    If I drink too much, lie down, and get the spins. If I'm getting the spins, it means I'm going to hurl and then generally everything is straightened out after that.
    I've only experienced vertigo after drinking too much and then trying to lie down, yeah. Vertigo = had way, way too much to drink, in my mind. I only wish I could hurl to get rid of it. Yes, it causes me to vomit, but that's just the beginning of a very awful evening ahead for me.

Type
    INTP
    During dad's final weeks, when mom kept almost backing out of hospice and was being mean to all the doctors and nurses and to dad himself, wouldn't listen to reality, and pretty much did everything in her power to make dad's end as stressful as possible for him and everyone else, I got so stressed at points that the edges of my vision went dark. I experienced dizziness and vertigo from stress for the first time in my life, and it was ongoing. I still wonder if there was some other health issue going on and the insane level of stress was just coincidental, but I seem to have kinda come back to myself. I had a few bouts when I got back home after the funeral, but they all coincided with me trying to shove my pain down into my gut Hank Hill style. I fixed that by eating my stress a lot after I got back home and picked up some weight, but I'm headed in the right direction again. According to the internet, vertigo and aging go hand in hand for reasons no one understands, so it may just be one of the many many ways that your body betrays you as you age.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    ISFP
    @Sistamatic how many days did the ongoing vertigo last and did you treat it with anything?

Right after the doc assessed nystagmus, my peripheral vision was similar to what you described but it subsided quickly

Type
    INTP
    As a teen and young adult I'd get vertigo all the time, probably from low blood pressure. If I got up suddenly from my chair or the bed, for example. My vision would go black. I never fainted from it, though. As a precaution I did start getting more blood flow to my head when it happened.

I probably don't have such low blood pressure anymore.

My stress does translate as physical symptoms, but usually it's in my gut, not my head.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INFP
    I got it when I hadn't eaten enough, and also when I had an ear infection. That was awful. Both ears were infected, middle and outer. Blinding/deafening pain. I didn't speak Czech at the time, and when my bf took me to the hospital, he was the one explaining everything until they whisked me into a little room. Then without forewarning - I asked if what they were planning would be painful and they just kind of shrugged - they drilled into my ear and vacuumed it. After that ear was finished I started shaking and crying. They asked me if I was ready to have the other ear done and I said "no thanks." They said that was ok because they dealt with the eardrum that would have exploded otherwise, and the second one might not (and it ultimately didn't).

I had vertigo the morning before the surgery, during, and the day after. The partial deafness lasted longer, I think for about a week.

Type
    ISFP
    @Blorg before you went, did the one eardrum that was going to burst feel worse than the other?

(I don't have these symptoms, I'm just curious if you could tell)

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    @Blorg before you went, did the one eardrum that was going to burst feel worse than the other?

(I don't have these symptoms, I'm just curious if you could tell)
    I don't think so - at least I don't remember one hurting more before the surgery. It was the worst pain I've ever felt, like knives, so I guess it was hard to scale one ear's pain against the other.

After the surgery, the ear that was punctured stopped hurting sooner than the other one, which only felt better after a few days of antibiotics. But I didn't regret not having that one punctured too. *shudders*

Type
    ISFP
    Wanted to come back and add my experience resolved after two weeks. Not sure if it was just time or what, but at its worst, I gave up on Meclizine and Allegra and started taking 400mg of ibuprofen 3x a day. Hopefully I never get this shit again, what a nightmare.
    flat tire ferarri