Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "hidden gems"

Type
    INFP

"hidden gems"

Have you read or seen any movies or books that deserve greater recognition, in your opinion?
    Last edited by Dot; 02-05-2014 at 05:57 PM.

Type
    iNtP
    The Great Gatsby, one of my favourite movies, which i must say even i am surprised at given the fact that most garbage tossed onto film these days is not worthy of the rubbish pile. I really liked the character Gatsby. I put off watching it as the genre did not really appeal to me, however i had a nice surprise upon watching it.

if it were not for leonardo di caprio (i am a fan, and i think he is one of the best actors of our time) i would not have watched the movie though

Type
    INTP
    I don't think the film Survive Style 5+ gets enough love. Although it's the Japanese equivalent of a Tarantino film, so it's not particularly deep. And although definitely not hidden, Master and Margarita deserves a lot more recognition than it receives, IMO.

Type
    INTP
    Isao Takahata's film Omohide Poro Poro. Takahata's contribution to animation, if it's recognized at all, is usually restricted to Grave of the Fireflies. Granted, that's an amazing film. But I really which Omohide Poro Poro got more attention in the West.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Krill View Post
    Takahata's contribution to animation, if it's recognized at all, is usually restricted to Grave of the Fireflies.
    yeah, I've heard that movie mentioned several times-- it looks really interesting.

It seems like Miyazaki gets all the mainstream credit for animation, in the US at least.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon View Post
    And although definitely not hidden, Master and Margarita deserves a lot more recognition than it receives, IMO.
    I finally read that a couple of years ago. Really good and strange.

While Miller's Crossing is fairly well known as a Coen Brothers movie. a lot of people haven't seen in it. Which is a shame, as I think it is their best film.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    While Miller's Crossing is fairly well known as a Coen Brothers movie. a lot of people haven't seen in it. Which is a shame, as I think it is their best film.
    That was on my Netflix instant queue and unfortunately I let it lapse (it's no longer streamable). I guess I should put it at the top of my DVD queue.

Type
    INFP
    Blood Simple is another good and rarer Coen Brothers movie. It's kind of like a grittier version of Fargo.

(I think A Serious Man is their best though)

Type
    xNxx
    It's a little out of the scope for this particular thread, but I feel a large gap in people's appreciation of music. Nobody really gives a shit about:

1. 20th century classical other than 5 or 6 pieces
    2. Any jazz other than 5 or 6 albums
    3. Renaissance music
    4. The variety of incredible folk music from around the world
    5. The variety of classical music from beyond one's country of origin.

Type
    INTP
    "A Simple Plan" was fucking brutal and brilliant and made me a fan of Billy Bob Thornton.

Miyazaki gets mainstream recognition, but I think he's far from the most watched Japanese animation director. Rumiko Takahashi would beat out Miyazaki easily in terms of eyeballs and amount of footage watched.

I recommend "Pom Poko". It's an anime movie imported by Disney of all corporations. It involves tanuki fighting for their habitat against human developers, using their magical ability to transform their scrotums. I'm not making this up. They can transform themselves completely, but mostly, they use their scrotums. In the end they explain why energy drinks have become so popular. Highly recommended.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.