Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How many friends do you have...

Type
    INTP
    I have 0 friends. But it's ok.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I'm sure you did the math and figured it would be cheaper to leave your car at the airport for two months than to take a taxi, but this story is definitely NOT an example of when to ask for a ride.
    Probably more of an example of when you'd ask a "friend" for a ride than when you could just spend $20 on a taxi.

Type
    INTP
    I would definitely offer a friend a ride if they were leaving for an extended trip, like when a good friend of mine was being deployed for a year.

The situation has never actually come up, though, except where the man is concerned. Part of it is that we live beyond the reach of Uber and taxis, but regardless I think he would probably feel a bit insulted if he had to make his own way.

I think this also has to do with his conception of time and planning. In his main social network, which consists mostly of Indian engineers and business people, everyone is almost always in this total grey area between personal life and work. They take all calls at all times. They hate to make plans and whatever plans they do have are forever liable to change. Instead of, say, I dunno, booking an international flight well in advance and making all arrangements with no fuss, no muss, everything is left until the last minute, endless phone calls are made, favors are asked, accommodations are made. Part and parcel of this is the concept that you can never say an outright No to anyone.

Like, if you took care of your own business and planned your life to the extent that you would be able to say definitively, yes I am available at that time but no, I am not available at this time... That would be the mark of a cold, overly self-concerned person.*

Depending on how much this accommodates or detonates by own plans (which I like to be set in stone, for the most part) the whole business is either fascinating or infuriating.

*Eg me. This used to drive him totally nuts, but now he's pretty much resigned to my "quirks."

Actually nothing makes him happier than being called upon to make shit happen so that he help someone out....Maybe it's also an ISFJ thing.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
    I have 0 friends. But it's ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    I would definitely offer a friend a ride if they were leaving for an extended trip, like when a good friend of mine was being deployed for a year.

The situation has never actually come up, though, except where the man is concerned. Part of it is that we live beyond the reach of Uber and taxis, but regardless I think he would probably feel a bit insulted if he had to make his own way.

I think this also has to do with his conception of time and planning. In his main social network, which consists mostly of Indian engineers and business people, everyone is almost always in this total grey area between personal life and work. They take all calls at all times. They hate to make plans and whatever plans they do have are forever liable to change. Instead of, say, I dunno, booking an international flight well in advance and making all arrangements with no fuss, no muss, everything is left until the last minute, endless phone calls are made, favors are asked, accommodations are made. Part and parcel of this is the concept that you can never say an outright No to anyone.

Like, if you took care of your own business and planned your life to the extent that you would be able to say definitively, yes I am available at that time but no, I am not available at this time... That would be the mark of a cold, overly self-concerned person.*

Depending on how much this accommodates or detonates by own plans (which I like to be set in stone, for the most part) the whole business is either fascinating or infuriating.

*Eg me. This used to drive him totally nuts, but now he's pretty much resigned to my "quirks."

Actually nothing makes him happier than being called upon to make shit happen so that he help someone out....Maybe it's also an ISFJ thing.

I used to just do things for people whenever they asked. It did not make for good friendships. It led to a lot of people leaning way too heavily on me and I got to the point where every time my phone rang, I felt like I wanted to move to Siberia and change my name. And maybe the fact that I don't ask people to do anything for me if I can find a way to do it myself is the problem, but that's who I am. I can't have a bunch of needy people in my life because the energy will always flow in one direction. It was right after I had a come to jesus talk with the worst offenders that I suddenly had time to become a novelist. It's no secret that the reason rich people are able to accomplish so much is that they can pay others to do everything non-intellectual for them. Hell they don't even have to plan things. A rich exec who retired from a storied career recently told me that he doesn't even know how to book a flight, and now that he's retired, he's looking at having to hire someone to do what his executive assistant always did because he hasn't got a clue how to do anything except make big decisions that other people have to figure out how to implement.

I guess the point is that being inefficient with one's own time is fine. Being inefficient with someone else's time costs them in terms of their life potential, especially if you are a large part of that person's life. Being surrounded by a tribe of needy inefficient people who are afraid to try to do anything themselves without me holding their hands is a hell I'm never going back to. And all I had to do to get out of it was stop saying yes. Easier said than done, because I'm a nice person, but after a while people stopped asking me to do shit for them. They still call to ask me how to do things, but I never offer to just come do it for them...not even if it would be easier. After several years of not using me as a crutch, my worst offender is one of the handiest and most independent people ever. I mean with youtube out there, all you really need to do things yourself is the balls to try, right? Turns out I wasn't doing him any favors at all. Ha, now he's having to do everything for his new inlaws and I'm laughing my ass off.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post

Had a discussion with an friend of mine, 99% sure an ENTJ, who said she "Didn't really have any friends she could call to ask to give her a ride to the airport."
    She probably like you enough she doesn't want to inconvenience you.

How big of a deal is it for you?
    Depends on how far the drop off/pick up. If it's less than an hour and I have time, sure no biggie. If it's like 4-8 hrs, it's a big ask and I'm definitely going to reconsider why my friend is even asking me this favor. I have things to take care of that I can't just drop off.

However, if the friend is going to see/visit me, I'd definitely make time to pick them up and drop them off. Given I was notified way ahead of time. It would be nice to think my friend would do the same but it'll be perfectly fine if they can't make it. I'll manage.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    One big difference between the man and myself - and I think this is a cultural thing - he is far more willing to ask for favors, and expects to be asked for favors - rather than relying solely on his own resources and expecting others to do the same.

It's like that early adulthood, building connections phase never ends. But that's normal in his group.
    I was thinking about this the other day. There's this engineer that I work with who is Indian. She always asks people to do things for her. Things she can just as easily do herself. For example, she had to write a technical document about a test method. I had just written the same kind of document for my test method, and her document was pretty much going to mimic mine in terms of sample size, statistical methods, etc, just with a different test and different data. So I told her she should just look my document up in the system and use it as a template. And she's like "oh, could you just send it to me". And I'm like "it's in the system, just go in the system and download it". And she's like, "just send it to me". Me: "well, I would just have to get it off the system myself and send it to you". And of course she's like "ok, so just get if off the system and send it to me."

Would you also like me to print it out, walk over to your cube, and read it to you, you lazy cunt? I never sent it to her.

She annoys the everloving fuck out of everyone by trying to give them action items to do simple things that she should be able to do herself. Half the engineers think she's an idiot who doesn't know how to do shit, and the other half think she's just a lazy leech. Except for the other Indian engineers, who seem to have no problem with her. I avoid her like the plague.

Type
    ISFP
    She's taking the principle of the Ben Franklin effect to the extreme

At my old job, we had to do quarterly active shooter training, and I didn't retain any of it except for its slogan of "Avoid. Deny. Defend," which is a nifty escalation procedure for dealing with awful coworkers
    flat tire ferarri

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    She's taking the principle of the Ben Franklin effect to the extreme

At my old job, we had to do quarterly active shooter training, and I didn't retain any of it except for its slogan of "Avoid. Deny. Defend," which is a nifty escalation procedure for dealing with awful coworkers
    I heard that it helps to repeatedly scream out your own name in those situations, in order to humanize yourself.