Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new eight type personality system (peacock, ascetic, rebel, square, computer, animal,

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Two of those are behind a paywall, the third doesn't exist. I can't vet either so I reject them both.

You're welcome to try again.

Here's something a bit less scholarly, but also much less behind a paywall. While it may not be from an academic journal, it does have some important stats up front which shows that schizoids make up less than one percent of the population, but introverts make up at least fifteen percent.

Furthermore, even if I just accept without vetting, the assertion that High Neuroticism and Low Extraversion are often found in PD--and even if we accept that this means having high Neuroticism and low Extraversion implies PD, there's not only an awful lot of room for introverts to exist outside of that (low Extraversion, low Neuroticism), but there's an awful lot of PD's that aren't schizo-type that an introvert can have that would still fit that hypothesis.
    Last edited by Hephaestus; 02-07-2014 at 09:01 PM.
    Every master plan has one overarching contingency that will be required for success: desenrascanço. In light of this, it is tempting to skip the planning phase and just make desenrascanço your master plan. I don't recommend this, but it has worked out for me in the past to an alarming degree. The problem is it keeps you too focused on the short term to ever improve your situation in the long.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Note: where you are half-right--well, maybe a fourth right at best, but the idiom gives too much credit by default. Schizoid Personality Disorder used to be called Introverted Personality Disorder. But, that doesn't mean introversion is a personality disorder--the potential confusion being one of the motivating factors for changing the name (though the new name was controversial for equally bad mental associations). It's important to remember the Disorder at the end. Introversion is not a disorder, but if the behaviors are to such an extreme the create distress, then that's something that's something to address.

But lets get the discussion back to where it began and you can address the obvious flaws of trying to build your scale on some aspect of pathology: this board is full of horny introverts. Introversion does not imply a lack of interest in sex.

If you want the extreme ends of your tool to imply personality disorders, then so be it, but make sure you include that as part of your descriptor--and be sure to find something juicy for each end of each spectrum--maybe even some combos--and state these prejudices explicitly.
    Every master plan has one overarching contingency that will be required for success: desenrascanço. In light of this, it is tempting to skip the planning phase and just make desenrascanço your master plan. I don't recommend this, but it has worked out for me in the past to an alarming degree. The problem is it keeps you too focused on the short term to ever improve your situation in the long.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    XNTX
    A comprehensive meta-analysis of 35 different studies of nearly 4, 000 salespersons combined with a recent study by Adam Grant of the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Management reports the difference between introverts and extroverts in a sales force is almost indistinguishable, with extroverts having a slight edge. The determining factor was sales performance with introverts generating sales revenue at a rate of $125 hourly and introverts $120.

Yet most people are neither introverts nor extraverts, but ambiverts.

Ambivert means to be socially comfortable and interactive yet relish “down time alone” more than extroverts and less than introverts. An ambivert can flow between both worlds with equal comfort but not remain in others company too long. Personality testing shows ambivert as in the middle of what is known as ‘research factors’ in psychometrics (psychological measurement) between introvert and extrovert.

Ambivert sales people generated about $220 per hour
    http://goo.gl/2HY07E

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by meta View Post
    __________________________________________________ ___________

eight personality types on four opposing spectrums

peacock vs ascetic (correlates most with E/I, Big 5 extroversion)
    eccentric vs square (correlates most with N/S, Big 5 openness to experience)
    computer vs impulsive (correlates most with T/F, mild J/P correlation)
    jerk vs. martyr (slight T/F MBTI correlation, Big 5 accomodation)

peacocks value being attractive, looking nice, compete for spot light, are usually in a romantic relationship (or trying to be)
    ascetics shun materialism, don't care about attention, are less interested in sex/relationships than peacocks
    eccentrics are artistic, creative, unconventional, they are more likely to be risk taking / adventurous
    squares value tradition, rule of law, the status quo, are resistant to change / progress
    computers are highly rational, logical, stiff, they don't trust emotion/instinct, plan their way through life
    impulsives are whimsical, unpredictable, spontaneous, gut/instinct driven, feel their way through life
    jerks prioritize self interest, are overly attached to their own perspective/feelings/thoughts, empathetically blunted
    martyrs are self sacrificing, people pleasing, they nurture others at the expense of themselves, feel others feelings more than their own

two physical health spectrums (Big 5 emotional stability and energy level)
    stable/calm vs unstable/anxious (no MBTI correlation, Big 5 emotional stability)
    high energy vs low energy (mild E/I, J/P correlation)

notation of system...

each type expressed as a range
    example: P p x a A

two physical health types expressed a little differently
    stable/unstable = x ? (the question mark is symbolic of the fact that unstable types have an unstable sense of self/identity)
    high/low energy + x -

primary type denoted by brackets [A]

example type notion...
    ax[C]M=- (mild ascetic preference, in between eccentric/square, primary type computer, strong martyr preference, stable emotionally, low energy

an INTP is most likely to be a ARCj

the big weakness of the mtbi type spectrum is trait conflation, I is a mix of Ascetic tendencies and Low energy syndrome (E is the opposite), F/T is a conflation of Computer/Impulsive and Jerk/Martyr, J/P is a conflation of high/low energy and Computer/Impulsive

the big 5 isn't really designed to be useable, it's more of a scientific personality discovery than a developed usable personality system
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Anyway, thoughts, What's your type?
    You lost me when it started to look like mathematical equations. My brain automatically switches off when I see anything that looks like that.

I like your system, but like Heph, I strongly disagree with the underlined part, while agreeing with being less interested in relationships per se.

ascetics shun materialism, don't care about attention, are less interested in sex/relationships than peacocks

Any personality type framework also has to account for how psychological abnormalities can impact personality type. Personally, I am both stable/unstable and high energy/low energy.

In summary, I would select the following underlined statements to describe myself (I am both computer and impulsive)

peacocks value being attractive, looking nice, compete for spot light, are usually in a romantic relationship (or trying to be)
    eccentrics are artistic, creative, unconventional, they are more likely to be risk taking / adventurous
    squares value tradition, rule of law, the status quo, are resistant to change / progress
    computers are highly rational, logical, stiff, they don't trust emotion/instinct, plan their way through life
    impulsives are whimsical, unpredictable, spontaneous, gut/instinct driven, feel their way through life
    jerks prioritize self interest, are overly attached to their own perspective/feelings/thoughts, empathetically blunted
    martyrs are self sacrificing, people pleasing, they nurture others at the expense of themselves, feel others feelings more than their own

I don't have an ounce of martyr in me, but that doesn't mean I won't back a friend for fear of getting punched in the face myself.