Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Autism, Empathy and Mental-Health(?), Oh My!

Type
    INXj
    Speaking of Brene Brown. She did have a good talk about the difference between sympathy and empathy and this short video perfectly illustrates it.

Type
    isfp
    Brene is so funny man. That's an awesome video
    god's gift

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Speaking of Brene Brown. She did have a good talk about the difference between sympathy and empathy and this short video perfectly illustrates it.

"sympathy drives disconnection" huh? This video seems to be saying that sympathy is when you listen poorly, don't try to relate to people and brush them off. That seems really incorrect.

I mean she says that empathy is "feeling with" - that is literally the meaning of the root words for sympathy. Empathy is "feeling in".

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    "sympathy drives disconnection" huh? This video seems to be saying that sympathy is when you listen poorly, don't try to relate to people and brush them off. That seems really incorrect.

I mean she says that empathy is "feeling with" - that is literally the meaning of the root words for sympathy. Empathy is "feeling in".
    I think she's trying to deconstruct the common way people confuse sympathy with empathy in a funny way.

In simpler statements,
    Sympathy - "I feel for you"
    Empathy - "I feel with you"