Thread: Big 5 Personality Test to become Big 6

Type
    istj

Big 5 Personality Test to become Big 6

It's rumored around town that the sixth measure would be "selfishness" in addition to the existing measures of openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

"Selfishness" doesn't seem like a good label similar to how people might not want to answer to where they would have "low attention to detail" even though that's roughly what conscientiousness measures (thus it's named what it's named; well also because it's one word).

What'd be a better word for this measure of selfishness? Egocentrism?

*edit: should've labeled the thread 'might become Big 6'
    flat tire ferarri

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    It had such a good acronym though (OCEAN).

Type
    xxxx
    An "Egocentricism" dimension would overlap so much with the "Disagreeableness/agreebleness" dimension so much, that makes no sense.
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by kari View Post
    An "Egocentricism" dimension would overlap so much with the "Disagreeableness/agreebleness" dimension so much, that makes no sense.
    Perhaps!

This last year I've gotten a bit obsessed with Agreeableness since discovering I'm in the bottom 2% for it

I have felt like there's a dimension missing in the Big 5, and haven't been able to put my finger on what it is. Maybe it's not "selfishness" but the literature I've found about Agreeableness hasn't provided very much of a satisfying answer as to why I consistently score *incredibly* disagreeable and yet people in real life consistently consider and call me a nice person. Reading about the trait you'd think all people that score the way I do are selfish monsters that go around terrorizing everyone in the worst possible ways 24 hours a day. Occasionally I come across an overly simplistic explanation along the lines of: if a disagreeable person is well socialized, then they aren't so terrible.

In my mind I'm "nice" to people because that's the logical way to go about dealing with people when you truly don't want to deal with their feelings. People seldom throw a lot of emotion at you if you're generally pleasant with them. I spare people's feelings simply because I don't want to deal with their feelings, not because I "care" about their feelings. I've met other disagreeable people, and they don't all come to that same conclusion (some do, and maybe the difference really is how "well socialized" you are, but it seems like there must be more to it than that, as if it really is its own dimension of personality).

It's possible to be disagreeable and also a nice person.

Spoiler:

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    that sounds kinda like the “honesty-humility” measure in HEXACO
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    Bad dimension if it doesn't split population roughly equally. For example, N vs. S is technically a bad dimension (maybe it's actually 2, making sensors one of 3 merged types?).

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    "low attention to detail" even though that's roughly what conscientiousness measures (thus it's named what it's named; well also because it's one word).
    Conscientiousness has to do with goal orientation not detail orientation.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    istj
    ROUGHLY
    flat tire ferarri