Thread: Vegan Cooking

Type
    INTP

Vegan Cooking

I've determined that everything I buy or prepare for myself from here on out will be vegan.*

I'm still eating carnivorous leftovers from New Year's, so I'm not yet detoxed, but I have started buying vegan alternatives to dairy, so I think that makes it official.

Things I've discovered so far:

The vegan fake butter spread is good on toast. A little lighter than regular butter. It doesn't taste greasy. I like it.

That... Whatsitcalled... yeast powder seasoning stuff.... Nutritional yeast. I am starting to like this a lot. By itself it's just powdery, but when you add it to things it acts as a thickener and also imparts some delicious umami depth. So far I've added it to tomato sauce, which was delicious, and sprinkled it on toast with the aforementioned fake butter spread. The result is kind of like a mild Marmite but without all the salt and much less of a tangy bite. I am a fan.

Cashew yogurt is also surprisingly tasty. But I think I'll save it for special occasions since I really want to mostly eat whole, wholesome, simple foods.

I need to actually sit down with the kiddo and meal plan, keeping in mind that my mental and emotional energy for cooking tends to ebb and flow throughout the week.

We've also started taking vitamins, B12 and D.

Here's to a healthier 2020.

*Mostly. I mean, I need to season my cast iron pans...

Type
    INTP
    I broke down and bought some beyond sausages at Sprouts today. I'm having a creative block lately on vegan cooking. I'm stuck in a rut with the same 5 or 6 meals and I'm tired of them. I did make a mexican casserole today with corn tortillas, black beans, cashew cheese (which I made two days ago), veggies, and enchilada sauce. It was good but needed more tortilla, or maybe a tamale dough base.
    I'm going to attempt a broccoli and white bean soup to go with our sausage rolls tomorrow. Got the recipe from a vegan instapot cook book that the in laws gave us for Christmas.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Got the recipe from a vegan instapot cook book that the in laws gave us for Christmas.
    You just gave me a great gift idea, I just sent my little sister an instapot and a vegan instapot cookbook.

(delayed bday present)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i wanted to try making a creamy vegan pasta sauce and used this recipe from mealime and it was really good!

this app seems great for finding/adapting vegan recipes and meal planning... thanks @TeresaJ
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    Ooh yum. I haven't done that one yet but I did a chickpea a la king from The Art of Vegan Cooking that turned out really good. So far that's my favorite vegan cookbook. It's put together in a very thoughtful way.

Tonight I did a vegan red beans and rice - my own recipe - that turned out pretty good. I browned yellow onion in an instant pot and then added minced mushroom, diced green bell pepper, minced garlic, seasoning (Soy sauce, paprika, red chili pepper, black pepper, Italian herbs, a bit of nutritional yeast, vegan butter), and the previously slow-cooked red beans and cooked it under high pressure for thirty minutes. I might try adding some tofu or maybe even tempeh next time just to give it some of the chewiness of sausage, but the flavor turned out delicious. I served it with bulghar wheat, which I like as a richer, thicker alternative to regular long grain rice.

Type
    INTP
    Also yesterday we celebrated the man's birthday by going to an all you can eat meat emporium so, you know... No purity here.