Thread: Do you want this book?

Type
    INTP

Do you want this book?

In the interest of not cluttering my little house, I will be posting in this thread books that I have purchased, read or tried to read, and no longer need. I am not one of those people who keeps all my books, so even books that I liked will be posted here. Most of the books I buy are for my book club. We mostly read non-fiction, so these will mostly be non-fiction books. I usually try to get them from the library first, but a lot of the books either are too popular for me to borrow in a timely manner or just aren't available yet.

If you want the book, just reply to the thread that you want the book. You will have to PM me your name and address. If you don't feel you can trust me with your real name and address, then I guess you don't want this book. I will mail it using the cheapest/laziest method possible, probably USPS media mail, at my earliest convenience. Being an INTP, this could take anywhere from a few minutes to a few weeks.

Please don't take books so you can sell them on. I have no way to enforce this but I'd rather not spend time and money shipping the book to you so you can sell it for a few bucks. You are however perfectly welcome to ask for the book for your SO/roommate/sibling, etc. I just want these books to be enjoyed by someone other than myself before becoming trash.

You must live in the lower 48. If you live in AK or HI, I will check with the post office and see how much shipping is, but I may ultimately decide not to send it to you and post it again.

Type
    INtP
    This is a great idea. It's things like this which is why ebooks are inferior to print.

Do you have a PayPal account? I'm weird in that I'm totally excited for a free book, but someone paying to ship me a free book is somehow a bridge too far.

Type
    INTP
    Healthy Brain, Happy Life by Wendy Suzuki

This book is either a memoir about a neuroscientist doing research, or a neuroscience book by a narcissist. Basically, the author is a neuroscientist who did a bunch of research on links between exercise and brain function, and also took up exercise and now can't stop talking about it, plus with some added stories about her personal life. I did not care for this book and everyone in my book club thought it was a little too "me me me", though I did manage to finish it. There were a few brain hacks in there that people found useful. The book itself is in very good condition. If I weren't so lazy I would post pictures of it, but it's basically like new. All the copies in my local library system were checked out and on hold for the next person when I tried to get it, so I guess it's pretty popular?

Type
    INTP
    The Happiness Advantage; How a Positive Brain Fuels Success in Work and Life by Shawn Achor

I guess this guy also did a TED talk. I bought this book at the airport after my cancer treatment when I was still really depressed and wishing I had just died instead of bothering with all this shit. I'm not depressed anymore so I don't need it. It had some helpful tidbits I guess though I never did put any of them into action. Book is in good condition but has a couple faded spots on the cover, though they might actually be part of the cover design, I don't know.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    This is a great idea. It's things like this which is why ebooks are inferior to print.

Do you have a PayPal account? I'm weird in that I'm totally excited for a free book, but someone paying to ship me a free book is somehow a bridge too far.
    I have a PayPal account but don't remember the password and frankly would probably never get the money out of it. If you really want to pay it forward, make a small donation to Metavivor. They use 100% of donations to support breast cancer research and you can see what researchers they've funded, and read summaries of completed grants on their webpage. I especially like that they give grants to young researchers with really novel projects, not just huge research labs that are developing drugs to extend the life of cancer patients by 2.3 weeks, which is all that seems to come out of metastatic breast cancer research these days.

Type
    INTP
    Less by Andrew Sean Greer

It's supposed to be funny? I don't know I couldn't get through it, I guess it just didn't appeal to me. I'm not a fan of fiction, so don't assume it's a terrible book, it just wasn't for me. It's about an author who's ex-long time boyfriend is getting married, so to avoid the awkwardness of the wedding and gossip around it, he accepts every speaking engagement offered to him. He wrote one book of minor success, but most of his speaking engagements are about yet another ex-boyfriend who was very successful and whose shadow he seemed to be living in. That's as far as I got so maybe there's a big epiphany in there somewhere and this book is actually about something else; I wouldn't know. It won a Pulitzer prize apparently.

Book is in decent shape but the front lower corner of the cover is a bit tattered due to the amount of time it spent on my nightstand not being read. No other known blemishes.

Type
    INTP
    Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown

Brene Brown is an industry so I will spare you my summary. I used a rubber band as a book mark when reading this and I thought some of the pages got a little chewed up, but it looks fine now so I'd say it's in very good condition. There is a bit of sticky/shiny stuff and paper stuck to the cover from a sticker that I couldn't fully remove but it would probably clean up with a little effort.