Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Millennials and younger, what's your retirement

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    I'll usually weave in and out as available.
    And that's how it should be done.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INFP
    I'm only just now considering plugging money into a retirement account (solo 401k). I'd be looking to strategically contribute to avoid income being taxed in higher brackets, as I see no reason to believe that I'd be earning more in retirement than I am now.

I don't have much faith in the future of this country in general. So, whenever I get an opportunity to reinvest in myself (personal training) or memory making (trips, title fights, art, etc), I try to take it.

And I know what it's like to do nothing all day on a budget (tight or not). That's been most of my life, actually, so I don't even find the idea of retirement all that alluring. I'd much rather just work on things that I want to work on until the day I die, which will probably come sooner than retirement, and I'm sure that on that day all of this will reveal itself to be a silly charade anyway.

Type
    xxxx
    Just inherited a tiny little house. Will use that as a down payment for someting in Bay Area. Let it cook 20 years. Sell it and move to rural hick infested area or thailand. Hello ladyboys.

Type
    INTP
    Save at least 50% of take-home salary into a high-yield investment account, even if just buying into a fund that tracks the S&P 500.

When I attempted to estimate the amount needed to retire, the number exploded. Factoring in healthcare and childcare costs (rising much faster than inflation), the goal seemed inaccessible. People underestimate the health expenses they'll have in their 60s/70s/etc, as they start down the path when young and healthier. Even an ambulance and 1 night in a ward can be devastating when uninsured. In any event, I suppose saving is good habit anyway. Still need 2 year's expenses to smooth over droughts.

"You're not saving that in your own name are you?"

Once worth more than a certain amount ($200k?), you no longer qualify for anything. It almost always is the case that there's something to neutralize gains.

With all the debt taken on by the government, what are the odds anyone will be retired even at 75? It's not an accident; many will "magically" be working until the day they die.

Find some happiness and hope, especially while young. Live. I tried to, but now I'm a nut case living with mother. Tried not to waste my life. So then it was laid to waste.

At least be able to avoid working excessive/long hours, unless prone to seeing work as the reward/joy. Then there'll be some time for other things.

I wonder if people still get anything out of traveling. Most destinations are in ruin. Maybe they've found new traps.

What's the point? It's not a miracle that a crash follows most thinking they are finally able to retire, leaving them sailing the ocean blue or living in a.. van down by the river. Maybe if they go another 10 years they'll salvage something. Otherwise: check the graph of unemployment across decades. Same game every time.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by baccheion View Post
    People underestimate the health expenses they'll have in their 60s/70s/etc,
    I'm guessing pretty close to zero... It was zero for both my parents and we spent quite a bit of time trotting them in and out of hospital.

Type
    ENTP
    @jyng1

as an american this reads almost like you're bragging.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIV View Post
    @jyng1

as an american this reads almost like you're bragging.

That's what I pay taxes for; not to have to worry about that sort of shit.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jyng1 View Post
    That's what I pay taxes for; not to have to worry about that sort of shit.
    +1
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.