Thread: Hot Wings

Type
    INTP

Hot Wings

Does anybody watch Hot Ones?

Anyway, I got many of those sauces as a present and now want to make hot wings. I already made them twice, just marinading the chicken wings in beer, salt and sugar, putting them in the oven, and then slathering them in a hot sauce/butter mix after they're done. I was wondering if anyone has any other ways to make wings that are good. Mind you the hot sauces come in small bottles so I can't really dilute them too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I'm not even into wings but baking sounds like a terrible way of preparing them. I would definitely fry them in oil.

I'm also not into hot ones because I generally don't care about celebrities, but I did see the one with DJ Khaled and it's hilarious watching him bitch out completely and try to play it off.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I'm not even into wings but baking sounds like a terrible way of preparing them. I would definitely fry them in oil.
    I've never been into wings either, until I started watching Hot Ones. Turns out they're really nice, and baking them till golden (after a couple hours marinading) is really good. I would even eat them just like that without the sauce.

I'm also not into hot ones because I generally don't care about celebrities
    I don't know most of them, but it's always fun to see them discombobulate as the wings get hotter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I generally only use beer to marinate something that's going to cook for a long time. So it's usually beef or pork. I haven't cooked wings in a long time. I much prefer thighs for baking or best way grilling. I'll slice up chicken breasts to make chicken strips and tenders. I have baked wings and also fried them in peanut oil.

For prep, I'd use fresh squeezed lime and maybe some orange juice. Definitely more lime than orange. Not that much, though in general, as I'll have to rub the juice on there, it's not really soaking it in.

Then I'd add dry spices, pepper, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, chili powder and maybe oregano but then some minced garlic. (Mix spices first then apply). I guess letting that sit for a couple of hours would be good. Just 20 mins to 1/2 hour would be fine. Don't want all the juice to dry off. Then I'd truss with mix of flour, corn starch, I try to avoid adding salt to anything but you could do so here, a bit more black pepper and a few red pepper flakes and bit of cilantro diced up. Shaking in a bag often makes too much paste that I don't want but just a light covering, shake off heavy extra and fry or you could still bake or grill.

Type
    istj
    You could soak the wings in buttermilk, bread them, fry them (or bake, even), and instead of coating them with the sauce, just dip them as you eat
    flat tire ferarri

Type
    INTP
    I feel that wings need to be deep fried to really turn out well. Even pan frying in oil is hit and miss.

Not to say pan frying or baking ruins them, but you just can't get A++ wings that way, IMO.

PS> Since I don't actually own a deep fryer, it's restaurant only wings for me.

PSS> Per roki, I was under the impression seasoning (including hot sauce) was added post cooking (like toss them in dry seasoning, or brush them with sauce), but since I don't cook them myself, I might be the wrong person to say.