Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hot Wings

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    The best wings I've ever had are Korean wings. Or really Korean fried chicken in general, it puts any other styles to shame. The glazes, the sauce, the spiciness, it's unbeatable. That said you can only really get the good stuff in specific places where there's enough of a Korean population to keep businesses open. Every time I'm back East I make sure to get a box of it from this place called Boom Boom Chicken. They always give you a side of pickled radishes which are somehow simultaneously not at all tasty but addictive and hit the spot with the wings. Korea is largely the equivalent of Eastern Europe when it comes to culinary options IMO, but somehow they really nailed it with chicken.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    You would eat baked chicken wings?! Shock/horror coming to you from Britain (!) Lol
    I think if you have a hot oven and use a cookie sheet they'll crisp up well enough. And because they're rather small and don't take long to cook baking isn't that much of a drop off. It's not the dramatic difference of baking a potato vs frying one. Costco used to sell these tequila chili lime full cooked but frozen wings. They still make them but I've not seen them sold in Costco but regular grocery stores or Smar 'n Final. Anyway, I used to take a handful or two out to nuke as a quick snack or part of a meal. I had done that for years. One time, I have no idea why, maybe fixing more than 10-12, I put some in the regular oven and it was a whole new ballgame! I was surprised at how well and vastly different they came out. I had tried putting some in my smaller, convection toaster oven and while still good, that wasn't the way to go. They were similar to being nuked. I think on things like legs and thighs you can tell a big difference between baked or fried but, well, assuming you're not using a heavy batter, going baked for wings I don't think is a culinary travesty.

Type
    istj
    Sometimes the customers ask for baked wings and they come out wet and soggy, not crispy. That's because our wings are frozen and we're too lazy to thaw them and dry them beforehand. They're probably disappointed when they get their baked wings.

If they're thawed and dried the wings can get crispy in the oven. 400 F for 12 mins is a good way to start
    flat tire ferarri

Type
    INTP
    You would eat baked chicken wings?! Shock/horror coming to you from Britain (!) Lol
    I was like you, but then I realized that a lot of things we've naturalized as fried can actually taste really nice as oven-baked, and it's healthier, too. (Not to mention that I don't need to figure out how to safely dispose of an entire bottle of used oil afterwards.)

Wings. Fries. Schnitzel. The list is endless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    I was like you, but then I realized that a lot of things we've naturalized as fried can actually taste really nice as oven-baked, and it's healthier, too. (Not to mention that I don't need to figure out how to safely dispose of an entire bottle of used oil afterwards.)

Wings. Fries. Schnitzel. The list is endless.
    No, I didn't have opinion, you're just the first Non-Brit I've heard rave about roasted chicken. Lol.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    eNTP
    Mountain Dew wings?!

Nvm.

I give up with Americans.
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    Yep. Mountain Dew flavored wings. They tasted more like the lemon lime Gatorade to me, however. It's probably what Mountain Dew tastes like without the bubbles, idk. Shit gives me heartburn anyway.

We do have a chipotle/honey sauce and that's my second favorite next to parmesan garlic. We have a Ranch flavored powder too and that shit's good if you want a dry wing. Walmart carries these also, and I'm sure other businesses too. Whatever though, you're in England; you guys probably eat unseasoned drumsticks, which are easily a kazlillion times better than Cooper Lager. Even the name is stewpid.
    Mountain Dew for wings isn't as off as it sounds, it's just a bad attempt at spinning off a Chinese recipe. There is a Chinese method of cooking wings that uses Coke. Pan fry the wings, then add coke and soy sauce, cover, and reduce to a glaze. I think the problem is Mountain Dew is bland by comparison to a cola beverage--and even cola wings aren't going on the strength of Coke alone. I think Dr Pepper or Mr. Pibb would be a better alternate to start with, but I'm in no hurry to try.

I bet the Mountain Dew wings could be fixed with the right complementary spices. Coriander would be a good start, to balance out the lemon. Worcestershire wouldn't hurt and would make a good parallel to the use of soy sauce in cola wings.
    "Just because it's 2020 doesn't mean everyone has perfect vision."--catchphrase of a fictional comedian in some movie

Type
    ENTP
    Yeah I've seen Hot Ones. I love the contrast of the Alexa Chung episode and the DJ Khaled episode, the former being a hilarious, articulate, size 0 supermodel in a prairie dress running the whole gauntlet and the latter being an obese, boorish, clout-chasing hip hop producer who tapped out at wing 3.

I mean, chicken wings are always tasty. I'll eat em when I'm out but I'm not really likely to buy them to cook at home because the idea of volunteering to purchase a pile of a single body part just feels obscene when you can buy a whole chicken. its not even a primarily ethical thing. it's just, like, I'll see a pile of chicken wings and think about how many different chickens are in that pile, and whether like one wing is about to go in my belly while the other one from the same animal is being stored in a freezer in Texas with a bunch of other wings from other chickens to be eaten 3 months from now.

And what of the rest of the chickens' bodies? It's just wasteful to put undue demand on one body part when the rest of the chicken is viable... except for the breasts. big breasted chicken breeds are the bane of my existence. chicken tenders are the only acceptable treatment for chicken breast and I blame the kids menu diet of the culinarily anemic adults in this mf country that demand big titty poultry to keep up with their appetite for chicken tenders. white people *looks at back of hand* I can say that right? same folks who feed their kids straight-out-the-fridge hot dogs on paper plates with some grapes while they eat orange chicken w chopsticks out of the takeout box after using all the soy sauce packets and then leave a 3 star review. it's not just a low end phenomenon... I ate at the Union League (old money city country club) a few months back. they asked me how I liked my burger, I said medium rare, and they came back with two room-temp 5mm patties straight from Sysco. shit was 60% soy I swear. the old money guy who invited us ordered...chicken tenders. it was vulgar.

as for cooking them:
    you can bake wings with baking soda for more crisp. link
    this is my go-to for shallow frying, and I always use thighs. can't see why it wouldn't work for wings.
    korean fried chicken is my fav chicken treatment but I don't deep fry at home.

I wouldn't get fancy with doctoring a sauce at home just because of the sheer variety of condiments that are good off the shelf, maybe diluted w honey or butter/ghee. I do like dijon, yogurt, and sauerkraut w lemon chicken.
    Last edited by MCIV; 01-28-2020 at 12:27 PM.