Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Psych behind telling people "you don't know what cold is"

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    What's up with people one-upping weather?

"It's cold out here" (30 degrees F)

Response: "You don't know what cold is! Back in New Yawk, it's -92 degrees, and that's not even counting the wind chill"

Why do people do this? The fucking weather they one up.

Gatekeeping, oneupping, whichever
    I'd probably say that. And I'd only say that because if you think 30 is cold, you literally don't know what cold weather is.

Apparently I'm an unintentional asshole a lot.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    depression can't be "snapped out" of. it just becomes something you learn to manage for the rest of your life, if you're one of the unfortunate who's predisposed to it.

pretending to not be depressed while you're depressed might earn you the "high-functioning" label (which i'm personally not a fan of).

lower levels of temporary/situational """depression"""/low mood can probably be "snapped out" of, though. society provides many incentives for acting "positive" and methods of self-medicating, so if you can, why wouldn't you? ...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    depression can't be "snapped out" of. it just becomes something you learn to manage for the rest of your life, if you're one of the unfortunate who's predisposed to it.

pretending to not be depressed while you're depressed might earn you the "high-functioning" label (which i'm personally not a fan of).

lower levels of temporary/situational """depression"""/low mood can probably be "snapped out" of, though. society provides many incentives for acting "positive" and methods of self-medicating, so if you can, why wouldn't you? ...
    I dunno, I suppose I'm just being dogmatic. I like my weed.
    And I hate big Pharma.
    How on earth did people function before pills?!
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    I dunno, I suppose I'm just being dogmatic. I like my weed.
    And I hate big Pharma.
    How on earth did people function before pills?!
    Before pills, you would go to some old dude known for being wise and weird, and he would perform a ritual to determine that you had some sort of spiritual ailment that could be cured by bleeding, or running around outside in the cold, or smearing cow shit all over your body, or fasting and sleeping in the moonlight, or drinking some horrible tea that would make you trip balls and sitting in a sauna, or whatever, and you would have no way of knowing any better so you'd probably get some placebo effect that would actually help.

Type
    isfp
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I'd probably say that. And I'd only say that because if you think 30 is cold, you literally don't know what cold weather is.

Na, I got Nord frost resist (I don't complain about it being cold). It's just an observation from my yankee customers to other Floridians

The heat on the other hand, anything above 80 and I'm sweating bullets. One reason I didn't last as a mail carrier. Too hot, my seat would be soaked in sweat. They don't have AC in those box mail trucks. I passed up $17/hr there to go back to my Walmart job at the time because it was so intolerable. Bordering heat stroke type of hot. Idk how I survived my deployments, I guess I was just in better shape back then although I do remember being beet red and sweating way more than everyone else, constantly having salt stains on my clothes
    Last edited by roki; 01-26-2020 at 03:00 AM.
    god's gift

Type
    INTP

I mean you're "literally" (in the traditional sense) wrong because "cold" is a relative term and doesn't refer to some specific range of temperatures. And it's generally useful to use terms like "cold" and "hot" in relation to the typical averages and extrema for the location you're in, not somewhere else.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I mean you're "literally" (in the traditional sense) wrong because "cold" is a relative term and doesn't refer to some specific range of temperatures. And it's generally useful to use terms like "cold" and "hot" in relation to the typical averages and extrema for the location you're in, not somewhere else.
    Yes.

If I were living in Florida, I wouldn't say it.

If I were vacationing there, or if someone posted it here, I would. Our family vacationed in Florida occasionally, usually February or January, because the weather is generally mild/temperate.

Being that I'm not living in Florida, if circumstances rendered fit, then I would say it. Because 30 for January is not cold enough to be really complaining about the cold here. Or at least pointing out the fact Florida doesn't get cold the way Minnesota gets cold seems more of a statement of fact to me, but I guess it is an annoying thing to do. The delicate Floridians think that 30 is freezing and I will respect their feelings and their temperature relativism.

I would definitely not drive there during that time period. I bet nobody knows how to drive on ice.

Type
    INTP
    Yes.

If I were living in Florida, I wouldn't say it.

If I were vacationing there, or if someone posted it here, I would. Our family vacationed in Florida occasionally, usually February or January, because the weather is generally mild/temperate.

Being that I'm not living in Florida, if circumstances rendered fit, then I would say it. Because 30 for January is not cold enough to be really complaining about the cold here. Or at least pointing out the fact Florida doesn't get cold the way Minnesota gets cold seems more of a statement of fact to me, but I guess it is an annoying thing to do. The delicate Floridians think that 30 is freezing and I will respect their feelings and their temperature relativism.

I would definitely not drive there during that time period. I bet nobody knows how to drive on ice.
    yeah, I think it's just the phrasing that made the original line obnoxious. You could easily say something like "well this isn't that bad to me, we get much colder winters where I'm from" and it's just weather talk instead of essentially telling someone they're ignorant or inexperienced.

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by roki View Post
    What's up with people one-upping weather?

"It's cold out here" (30 degrees F)

Response: "You don't know what cold is! Back in New Yawk, it's -92 degrees, and that's not even counting the wind chill"

Why do people do this? The fucking weather they one up.

Gatekeeping, oneupping, whichever
    As a Michigander, I do this. Some cities in the south will call a snow day - shut down schools, etc. - when they get 3 inches. You'd consider that simply comical if your entire society would be nonfunctional for >25% of the year if it reacted this way to snow. The "you don't know what cold is" reaction comes from the same sensibility; not from superiority, just an instinct to react somehow to the preposterousness of the statement. When it's really cold, though, I have no problem agreeing with you. Northerners are bitching all winter, don't get me wrong. Tolerating winter is not the same as getting used to it. Been here my whole life; definitely not used to it.
    Last edited by MCIV; 01-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.