Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite meal planning app?

Type
    INTP

Favorite meal planning app?

I just started using mealime. I like it enough that I'm seriously considering upgrading to the pro version.

What I like:
    Simple, easy interface

Recipes are pretty simple with common ingredients. The ones I've made so far have all been pretty tasty.

The grocery list and default meal plans mean that it really is a meal planning app, not just a phone-based recipe book with glossy pictures

I'll be able to access more recipes, add my own recipes, and customize it more if I upgrade

It really does take most of the brain power out of routine grocery shopping and cooking during the week, brain power I will happily use on other endeavors

What I dislike:
    Seems to be a pretty limited selection of vegan recipes

The meals I plan wind up using similar ingredients by virtue of all being vegan, but there doesn't seem to be a really intelligent design of, say, intentionally doubling up on ingredients throughout the week
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i like the idea but i’m too lazy to research the best apps for me right now... i keep a physical binder of recipes i print out from the internet organized with tab dividers

i bet this exists somewhere but i want a feature where i can list the ingredients i already have and find efficient/cheap recipes to make based on that (whatever requires the least amount of groceries to shop for before cooking).

inventory management would be useful too but i imagine this as a device/system that lives on a refrigerator door for some reason.

i used pepperplate for a while to store my own recipes/images but dropped off on saving recipes that way and haven’t explored the other features. it’s pretty straightforward but doesn’t offer much that encourages ongoing use.

Type
    INTP
    http://mealboard.com/

This one has a pantry management feature, but it looks tedious and isn't exactly what you asked for.

Type
    INTP
    Oh another thing I like about mealime is that it's super simple to add things to the grocery list, regardless of what's in your meal plan

Type
    INTP
    The Paprika app looks pretty good, but there's no trial version.

Type
    INTP
    I don't think default meal plans would work for me. My SO dislikes too many normal ingredients. I just store recipes and web pages in a folder in my computer. I usually cook things without a recipe (after having cooked them many times) but I do use them when there are a lot of ingredients or I want to try something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    I keep a list of go-to recipes in a text-file, ones delicious and simple enough we like to keep on rotation. Once in awhile we'll test new things we've found online, but not every damn week. Most of what's out there is just variations on familiar staples, with different spices. I'm at the point I don't have to refer to a recipe that much. I've been considering a more polished way to store recipes, but really, there just aren't that many on file to warrant it and I've got them memorized.

One recent addition has been brazilian fish stew. Tomatoes + coconut milk are a good match, turns out.

edit: if you still eat poultry, marinades on sheet pan nights are an easy way to mix up some flavors. I thought maybe an aromatics generator/randomizer might be helpful here as well there just aren't that many to consider, it's all in your spice rack, save for some herbs we tend to get fresh like tarragon, cilantro.
    Last edited by Faust; 02-14-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Ha. Maybe we just have special needs. ...

Me: Forcibly transitioning the family to mostly-vegan, which means that while I draw on all my cooking skills, I have very few complete recipes readily available in my head, since prior to this, animal products were my go-to protein. So I really have to think about every dish I prepare.

The Man: Carnivorous south Indian. Thinks most American/European-style food is bland. Really loves chicken and goat and fish and eggs.

Kiddo: Loves bland American food and sweets. Hates anything too spicy. Tolerates most of my cooking.

I've been diving into cookbooks since going mostly vegan. Other recipes I adapted on my own with less success. This week I cooked four dishes from the mealime app and 3/4 were hits with all of us in the household. Thanks to the grocery list I had every ingredient I needed on hand, and nothing broke the bank. Everything was easy to cook. Their "cooking mode" interface works very well.

It's really like... Like using a map application to navigate while driving. Yes, you can do it the old fashioned way, with paper maps and trial and error - and there are advantages to that - there are advantages in particular to learning that way. But for daily life, having a machine do most of the thinking for you really does make life easier.

It would be really, really great to augment the app's recipes with some from other sources. Thinking of going ahead and getting Paprika to see how they work together. $5 fee for that one vs $50 for an annual subscription to Mealime... I guess I could just spend $5 in the name of science to check out Paprika and then upgrade Mealime later if I still feel the need.

Type
    INTP
    Ok, last update for tonight...

I found one more app: ChefTap. The interface for uploading recipes is very easy. The basic features are free. The upgrade is $20 yearly.

I think I'll try this together with Mealime for the next week and see how it goes.

Type
    intp
    What about the blue zones meal planner? https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/