Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite meal planning app?

Type
    INTP
    @TeresaJ found a free one that is promising -- http://thinkle.github.io/gourmet/
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    @TeresaJ
    i’m trying out mealime and it’s really intuitive so far! it could be cuz i’m really hungry right now but i’m excited.

i like that there’s an option for the app to help you come up with new meal plans that would result in the least food waste (when grocery shopping/cooking). i really don’t like buying ingredients if i’m not using them more than once. this feature isn’t perfect though. i wish it would highlight the overlap in ingredients and what’s being left over or used only once, and if this was “smarter” it would also consider your budget and make some kind of estimate (of course this is determined by lots of different factors and is really complicated).

also it would be nice to input found and custom recipes into “favorites”

waste of ingredients and money has been an issue when trying out new recipes and an ingredient-driven app for reducing food waste while still offering “variety” just makes a lot of sense to me. if mealime went more in this direction i’d consider paying for it.

edit: just checked out paid features and the paid version addresses some of these issues and seems pretty robust... i guess i’ll consider it.

edit2: lol i just looked at “meet our chefs” and it seems like they’re really shooting for a certain demographic target here

grocery category “ethnic” should not be a thing

edit3: they’re based in vancouver. that should still not be a thing.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 02-16-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    FUCK SHIT

Type
    INTP
    Yeah it's definitely not perfect and the free version does seem to be useful enough to get you hooked but limited enough that you crave more.

I think what I'm going to do is continue to use mealime this week but then build up my own recipe cache on something like cheftap so that by next week I can use my own recipes to build a meal plan. I'll do it week by week rather than meal by meal so I'm taking advantage of the meal planning/grocery list capabilities in whichever system I use.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    i think a glaring flaw with mealime is the lack of sharing and syncing grocery lists and meal plans between other adults in the household (assumed to also be responsible for shopping and cooking). it’s very annoying to have to be the person with the app “directing” another person what to buy and what to do.

a meal planning app that addresses this with a sharing plans/groceries feature with all responsible adults in the household just makes so much sense. i bet this exists somewhere...

i also just saw that mealime has a “cooking mode” which i haven’t used yet, but that’s thoughtful i guess. basically it lets you go through the recipe step by step as you’re cooking without fumbling with the phone (?). i’d have to try it to see how practical it is.

edit: hah ok, you can share lists/plans if everybody is logged into the same account. i guess........
    FUCK SHIT