Page 83 of 113 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    Initially, the weakest people are going to get it and die.
    I'm not sure who gets it has anything to do with one's general health. I'm under the impression since it is a novel virus and nobody has any immunity that everybody who is exposed is likely to get it. You are correct that only the weakest are likely to die though. I'm not certain my assessment is correct at this point however.

In a week or two, now that testing is going up and we have lots of confirmed cases, a lot more people who have it (like those 300K+ current cases worldwide) will either start to die or recover* in much higher volumes, which will give us a much better view of the mortality rate for the general population.

*I'm not sure infected people recover in 14 days in the sense of testing negative for the virus, but I figure if you get through 14 days without needing a ventilator you will probably be OK.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    *I'm not sure infected people recover in 14 days in the sense of testing negative for the virus, but I figure if you get through 14 days without needing a ventilator you will probably be OK.
    I thought it was an average of 18 days to die and 22 to recover.

Type
    INTP
    ^Yes, (re the pictures) I know that it's too late in some places. As a resident of one of those places, I'm well aware that if I get a hospital-level case in the next month, that's going to be me, dying on the sidewalk quarantined from my friends and family and hoping I make the triage cut when I can't breathe by myself anymore.

I'm talking to the people who still have time to avoid this shit.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by starla View Post
    CA is running something like 3-4% of people testing positive, vs 25% for NY. I think the huge public transit system in NYC allowed it to spread like wildfire.
    Yes, I also think there's a couple other things California has going for it too.

For instance, at least 60% of the state lives in Southern California where it's typically not very cloudy or cold so you get a lot more direct UV comparatively.

Also since the technology to build very tall buildings that are earthquake safe is relatively new, this means most of us are living in relatively short buildings with much fewer people using the same handrails than you'd see in NYC's classic high floor walk-ups. Those of us that do live in tall buildings are necessarily living in newer buildings with elevators where the only contact required can easily be done with a pencil or the back of a knuckle. Being forced to build short buildings for so long into the city's history, I think is a big reason why LA is a spread out "driving" city and NYC isn't.

Realistically in a lockdown situation, how are people in NYC supposed to be able to get food without coming into contact with a lot of people though? Most New Yorkers don't own cars because they'd really only need them in an apocalyptic scenario like this, and a lot more of them live right on top of each other. Even if the streets were just filled with delivery people, that's still a ton of people in a cramped space.

But yeah, 1.7 million people were on the subway last Tuesday, and NYC Transit was happy it was *only* that many.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Yes, I also think there's a couple other things California has going for it too.
    A low smoking rate and they had a good crack at their air pollution levels.

The USA will overtake Italy's number of cases tomorrow and China's either tomorrow or the next day.
    Last edited by jyng1; 03-26-2020 at 06:59 AM.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    What's Russia doing? Are they just muscling through it? Any reliable sources?
    https://www.newyorker.com/news/dispa...e-count-so-low

Russia seems to be one of those countries that has a spatial advantage:

It is possible that, without having planned for it, Russian society, which is not nearly as defined by shoulder-to-shoulder public mixing as many European ones, had some advantages in weathering the early phase of the pandemic. Russia shares a twenty-six-hundred-mile border with China, but its most populous cities have fewer and less extensive ties with China than do many places in Europe. (Russian–Chinese trade topped a hundred billion dollars last year, but much of that came in oil and gas deliveries, a very different type of contact than one finds in, say, the many factories of northern Italy with a large Chinese labor force.) Russia is vast, with a relatively less developed transit infrastructure than European countries of similar populations. As a result, Michael Favorov, a doctor and public-health expert who previously oversaw C.D.C. programs in Eastern Europe and Central Asia, told me, “I wouldn’t expect a single outbreak in Russia but, rather, several, each with its own geography and developmental stages.”
    The author also speculates that it could be because Russia actually handled the situation well and did a lot of testing along with other measures, but I'm skeptical of Russian statistics, as are most people (including the author).

Type
    INTP
    I ain't taking no vaccine. They'll have to force me... Which is where I'm sure this is going.

The police here have issued a statement saying if your kids break lock down they deem you to be "neglectful" and will report you to the "relevant authorities", i.e CPS.

This is fuckkkkedd.

I'm so much more worried that it only takes one relatively small crisis for the people to welcome martial law and basically communist dictatorship.

We've got neighbors calling the police on neighbors here and parents reporting parents. This ain't right.

Be very afraid. Shit's getting real and it even caught me - a seasoned conspiracy theorist - off guard with its scale and efficiency.

UK reportedly on Lockdown for 6 months.
    Last edited by Sinny; 03-26-2020 at 10:16 AM.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    Just saw another Facebook post from a local woman explaining she lost her mom to Covid-19.

Again, another odd post. She stressed twice that she was local (weird thing to have to remind your friends & family) and she stressed that she couldn't accompany her mom to the hospital or get flowers for the funeral. Etc.

No posts prior to that suggesting her mom was ill... I wonder how many more of these I will find along the same script.

Anyway, she looks 40 something so her mom was probably 60-70, a 2-4 miles from here apparently.

I'm so not comfortable with family members just being carted off never to be seen again, this is just blowing my mind. Had a debate yesterday with some prick and told him my child won't be leaving my sights. If she's infected you can assume I am, so it would make sense to take both of us right?

Well NOT, according to this Orwellian logic.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinny View Post
    Just saw another Facebook post from a local woman explaining she lost her mom to Covid-19.

Again, another odd post. She stressed twice that she was local (weird thing to have to remind your friends & family) and she stressed that she couldn't accompany her mom to the hospital or get flowers for the funeral. Etc.

No posts prior to that suggesting her mom was ill... I wonder how many more of these I will find along the same script.
    I wasn't going to say anything, because I don't participate in conspiracy discussions, but... what are you getting at? That the deaths are fake? If so, how many? All of them? Italy, Spain, NY - fake? Just trying to understand why you're questioning these facebook posts. If you think they're fake you don't need to restrict yourself to the internet. You can just go to a hospital. I guess you're under quarantine but you could probably find an excuse if you want to see it up close and personal. That said, I hope you don't do that.

I'm so not comfortable with family members just being carted off never to be seen again, this is just blowing my mind.
    This isn't new, they did the same thing during Ebola, for example. People complained (and started killing doctors) so the WHO & Co. started to involve one family member in the whole process, they'd get PPE and training.

Considering the desperate lack of PPE for regular doctors around the world, I doubt that would happen during this pandemic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    INTP
    Also, quarantine starts tonight in Santiago - but not the rest of Chile, and not all of Santiago. And only for a week! The president is obviously just caving to political pressures, as mayors were starting to rebel and do their own thing. I don't think they will flatten the curve this way. It's just going to be a pain in the ass for everyone and it won't stop the cases.

Not only that, but true to the imbecility of your fourth-rate, third-world right wing, going shopping for food during quarantine (or even walking your dog) will require a police permit. Like as if you're going to be on the street, with a fucking dog on a leash, without it being patently clear what you're doing there. Mother. fuckers.

So yeah, I'm gonna go see what I can find today before quarantine. Unfortunately, everyone has the same idea as me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.