Thread: Gilgamesh Puppets

Type
    INTP

Gilgamesh Puppets

This took forever. Sewing is tedious as hell.

The lady/prostitute looks a little more world-weary than I'd intended, but that's how I feel about my life half the time, so I guess it's fair. The weird sash thing is supposed to be a red garment that she can remove and use to clothe Enkidu to symbolize his becoming civilized.

Will the kiddo really care..? Doubt it.

Will anyone actually care..? Probably not.

But I said I would do it and I did it, damn it.

Also Gilgamesh's crown looks like a giant medical head mirror. It's not even remotely historically accurate. IDGAF.*

..Part of the frustration comes from the material that I used for Gilgamesh and the Lady. But that's what I had on hand, so that's what I used.

I think Enkidu came out pretty well.

Inanna/Ishtar was the first one I did, and obviously the one I put the most effort into. I really like her diaphanous robe.

*...Actually if I go back to fix anything, I might try to fix that.
    Last edited by TeresaJ; 03-15-2020 at 12:24 AM.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Cute! Reminds me of when I'd make puppets for my little sister.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Type
    ENTP
    nice! they look Mesopotamian. if i were a kid i'd definitely see "doctor" not "king" on Gilgamesh, that's my 2 cents. i loved, LOVED it when my mom made things for me and us. i think it's great that you did this; few kids have the privilege of having toys their parents made.

Type
    INTP
    I removed the button and gave King Gilgamesh some gold arm bands. I might go in with the fabric paint and add some more definition to his bodacious biceps.

Itís an improvement.

Type
    ENTP
    Of all myths, Gilgamesh is an interesting choice. Does it bear a certain significance that you want to pass on to your kid? Do you plan to do other classics?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIV View Post
    Of all myths, Gilgamesh is an interesting choice. Does it bear a certain significance that you want to pass on to your kid? Do you plan to do other classics?
    Partly itís because itís just one of my favorites. I find the characters to be very relatable, especially in contrast to a lot of Greek myths.

Also I decided that the main theme for our year of home school would be laying the foundation for an understanding of humanity. Which for me means the evolution of humans, the spread of Homo sapiens, and the transition from roving bands of foragers to settled villagers and the rise of city-states.

Gilgamesh actually fits really well in that theme. Itís one of the earliest written stories and it directly addresses the contrast between civilization and wilderness in the characters of Enkidu and Humbaba.

Moving forward I think weíll travel East and cover ancient history of Persia/India, then China, then the Pacific, then the Americas, then circle back to Africa. Then talk more about the collision of worlds and the modern era.

Maybe. Something like that.

Type
    INTP
    Kiddo likes them. So far his favorite thing is to make them wrestle and to take off Enkiduís clothes and have him act crazy.

I consider it a success.

Type
    INTP
    Gilgamesh also had this really nice sequence of: Bravado.... Then the horror of the reality of death... Then the quest to overcome death.... And eventually wisdom and acceptance.

Type
    INTP
    Your Enkidu is mighty fine. For that you get this:

They Might Be Giants, "The Mesopotamians"

Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    Your Enkidu is mighty fine. For that you get this:

They Might Be Giants, "The Mesopotamians"

<3

Aw, they even had a shout out to Mohenjodaro!