Thread: Miscellaneous Kids Entertainment

Type
    INTP

Miscellaneous Kids Entertainment

I'm sick of thinking about corona virus, so I'm going to make lists.

Hierarchy of Disney movies:

The Lion King
    Moana
    Sleeping Beauty
    Beauty and the Beast
    The Frog Princess
    Robin Hood (given that it's a collage it's still better than the Aristocats)
    >*
    The Emperor's New Groove (when I remember that yes it is a Disney movie)
    The Little Mermaid (relatively low score only because Ariel gets on my nerves)
    Frozen (relatively high score because even though it's a mess it's entertaining)
    -
    Most everything else
    -
    Sequels and other crap

*The Road to El Dorado - I mentally put this in the same category as Emperor's New Groove, except that this one is superior and not actually a Disney movie.

Best netflix shows for young kids:

Ask the Storybots - A+ perfection, equally entertaining for kids and adults, hits all the right notes. Also genuinely educational.

Boss Baby: Back in Business - also does a really good job of hitting chords that are simultaneously entertaining for kids and adults.

Shaun the Sheep - it's a spinoff of Wallace and Grommit. Enough said.

Archibald's Next Big Thing - it has like a weird, old school nickelodeon kind of vibe to it, but it's very warm-hearted.

Thomas & Friends - more for little kids, but I'm throwing it in here. Is it promoting classism or undermining it???? How does the economy of Sodor really work? What does it all mean in the context of the 21st century? I'm kind of sad my kid doesn't watch these anymore. Every now and then I'll throw in a reference to dirty diesels and he just looks at me like I'm crazy.

Puffin Rock - cute Irish puffin birds on an island. would be #1 except my uncultured child inexplicably thinks it's boring!

True - honorable mention because it makes no sense but my kid loves it. I find it fascinating how it's kind of superficially zen but then instead of acceptance and freedom from attachment it's literally about specific wishes coming true. But with problem solving. Kind of.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Miyazaki movies! My daughter loves My Neighbor Totoro right now. Spirited Away is still a bit to scary for her in parts but would be good for slightly older kids. Some of the other ones are a bit more adult (e.g. Princess Mononoke) but most of the others are worth a try too.

The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea are two good Irish animated movies that have some depth to them and my kid likes a fair bit.

+1 for Storybots and Archibald

The Winnie the Pooh series and movies are all pretty good if you can get your hands on them.

Tumble Leaf on Amazon Prime is good too. Inspires creativity with (generally) everyday objects and "figuring out" things for yourself.

Also the Julia Donaldson short films that BBC makes every year or two are good, starting with The Gruffalo in 2009. All of them are great but my daughter's favourite is probably Room on the Broom.

Type
    IXTP
    The 90's had the best Kids cartoons:

Ren and Stimpy
    Freakazoid
    Earthworm Jim
    Cow & Chicken
    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Rocko's modern Life

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post
    The 90's had the best Kids cartoons:

Ren and Stimpy
    Freakazoid
    Earthworm Jim
    Cow & Chicken
    Aaahh!!! Real Monsters
    Ed, Edd n Eddy
    Rocko's modern Life
    Oh come on... What about Captain Pugwash with Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger the Cabin Boy.

(I know, I know, not true...).