Thread: Ralph Fiennes Movies

Type
    INTP

Ralph Fiennes Movies

At Spartan's request.....

Preliminary Rundown

A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia Technically a TV movie, but still a movie. As a huge fan of T. E. Lawrence, I loved this. Feisal was maybe a bit sexier than I think he was in real life - because Alexander Siddig - and there's thus more romantic/sexual tension than there needed to be. And Ralph Fiennes is also more handsome and broody - vs the eccentricities of Lawrence that I think Peter O'Toole captured better. If I remember correctly? I last watched this as a horny teenager. Not a great film on par with Lawrence of Arabia - but it's not trying to be. It's a dull, stodgy, anticlimactic, and anti-epic. Because that's the whole point. And it stars Ralph Fiennes and Alexander Siddig El Fidel. Can't go wrong. A.

Emily BrontŽ's Wuthering Heights - A+. I love this movie. I didn't realize this was his first major film! (Reviews part I and II)

The Baby of M‚con Never seen it.
    Schindler's List I remember it being good. It didn't personally affect me as much as Life is Beautiful.

Quiz Show Another one I remember being very well done, but not a personal favorite.

Strange Days I just remember this being weird and uncomfortable and not enjoyable.

The English Patient Love it - See blog post.

Oscar and Lucinda Also love this one. I remembered it being so charming and suggesting watching it to some dear friends of mine, then realized to my horror that it had a couple of pretty graphic rape scenes that I just got into the habit of fast-forwarding through whenever I rented it from Blockbuster (yes, it was back in those days).

The Avengers I vaguely remember seeing this. Pretty sure it was crap.

The Prince of Egypt Love it! I love this adaptation!

Sunshine I only vaguely remember watching this one. ...It was really serious?
    Onegin Love it!
    The End of the Affair Like a half-assed English Patient wannabe.
    Seasons of Giving Never saw it.

The Miracle Maker Never saw it.

Spider Never saw it.
    The Good Thief ...Did I not watch this one? If not, why not? Neil Jordan directed it. What, was I too busy graduating from high school to watch movies?
    Red Dragon B+? I remember this being, like, not the greatest, but also pretty cool. Mostly for William Blake.
    Maid in Manhattan Never saw it.

Damn, I guess I had mostly given up on Ralph Fiennes by this point.

The Chumscrubber Never saw it.
    Chromophobia Never saw it.
    The Constant Gardener A. Maybe the most romantic love story, to me, that I've seen him in. Because I think social justice is romantic. The only thing I would change is I would have had the wife actually sleep with that sleazy dude to get the information - to give her a bit more of a darker edge. I don't think it would have diminished the romance.

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Never saw it.
    The White Countess Never saw it.
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire ...I can't talk about Harry Potter right now. And let's be honest - this performance was mostly about the prosthetics.

Land of the Blind Never saw it.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix See above.

In Bruges Never saw it.
    The Duchess Cute!
    The Reader Never saw it.

The Hurt Locker Contractor Team Leader Never saw it.
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince :/

Cemetery Junction
    Clash of the Titans
    Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang
    The Wildest Dream
    - Have not seen a single damn one of these.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 :/

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 -_-

Wrath of the Titans
    Skyfall
    Great Expectations
    - Nope. Didn't see 'em.

The Invisible Woman Whaat? He directed this one? Didn't see it.

The Grand Budapest Hotel Yes! Adorable.
    Two Women Didn't see it.

And the rest....

A Bigger Splash
    Spectre
    Hail, Caesar!
    Kubo and the Two Strings
    The Lego Batman Movie
    Sea Sorrow
    The White Crow
    Holmes & Watson
    Official Secrets
    The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    Dolittle
    The King's Man

Havn't seen them. Except for Kubo, which was meh. Oh and Holmes and Watson, which was forgettable.

Of the ones I haven't seen, The Good Thief and Coriolanus are probably top of my list.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I just realized he has a brother that acts; I seemed to have mistaken him with this movie. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138097/

Type
    INTP
    The whole family is creative. One of his sisters directed Onegin. Her kids get small parts in his films.

Type
    INTP
    Do you not like big budget action films?

I've not seen any of them so it's not a criticism but you would've struck me as being a Harry Potter girl. Did you ever read the books?

Type
    INTP
    Big budget films - nothing against them, but not the kind of thing I seek out for my own entertainment.

And as for Potter... I got into the series a bit late, just before the fifth book came out. It was enough time to suspect that Rowling was a genius for embedding these nuanced, complicated, adult characterizations beneath the facade of a children's book. I was particularly intrigued by the backstory of the Marauders vs Snape. I thought she'd be going for, say, moral complexity...

And then came the bitter disappointment as the sixth and seventh books came out and I reread the earlier books and realized she was just a hack.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    At Spartan's request.....
    Iíll respond bit by bit. Iíll try to give you a heads up on ones Iím going to watch and then we can compare notes.

Schindler's List I remember it being good. It didn't personally affect me as much as Life is Beautiful.
    I know a lot of people thought he was a lock to win the Oscar. Canít fault Tommy Lee Jones in the Fugitive, though. There was also talk of him being the next Sir Olivier.

Quiz Show Another one I remember being very well done, but not a personal favorite.
    A 1994 film! In some ways, my favorite. Rob Morrow was good but there were parts of the script, like the opening with the car salesman that sets the tone and marker of the times, read with a lot more humor. Ralph was definitely the right choice here. Too much of a flub and it wouldíve made the arc too obvious.

The Avengers I vaguely remember seeing this. Pretty sure it was crap.
    It was. Big disappointment from a huge fan of the TV show.

The Prince of Egypt Love it! I love this adaptation!
    Was this the animated film? The creative license they took irked me a little bit.

Sunshine
    Never heard of this one. All I could think of was the Danny Boyle film from 2008 or so.

Maid in Manhattan
    Havenít seen it either. Do you like rom-coms in general?

The Constant Gardener A. Maybe the most romantic love story, to me, that I've seen him in. Because I think social justice is romantic. The only thing I would change is I would have had the wife actually sleep with that sleazy dude to get the information - to give her a bit more of a darker edge. I don't think it would have diminished the romance.
    Couldíve responded in your adaptation thread. I actually read the book a few years before the movie came out. Quite a bit I canít remember. Book was so thorough about Big Pharma.

In Bruges Never saw it.
    Lot of people loved this and I got a few recommendations for it but I didnít see it. It was just a lot of cussing to me. There was another film that came out somewhat near in time called In The Loop that had a lot of swearing but it was so cleaver, didnít really mind it.

The Reader Never saw it.
    The Hurt Locker
    Two Oscar nominees, you better get on it!! Actually, Ralph wasnít a primary focus in either of these. If memory serves. Iíd say see these just cuz.

Cancerous autism in a can Eli Porter's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    while in rehab this portly and braggadocious associate of the Stockton chapter of the bloods used to entertain us with his stories glorifying his fictional crime life. i was listening while roof painting the fascia in a matte off-white or was i disposing of roof shingles? -whatever, when he mentions Ralph Fiennes as small time financier of cocaine with little details about Cuba and a speed boat etc. so i feign ignorance and ask him who Ralph Fiennes is. he does one of those quick tetris manouvers in fast talk that only a veteran gamer can. where they quickly slide blocks into gaps just as you think it's game over, only its explanations into the obvious plot holes like how Ralph Fiennes went from acting to drug dealing ... that's because of some extras he'd met on set got him in the game. i guess. nvm...

(why am i in here commenting? can someone tell me where the hell confab classics are. god i'm an idiot lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    Sig-worthy....